• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Skelly as CM would be the terminal breath of credible politics in the Isle of Man.

Shut up.

I hope he gets in if only to piss you off. Which it clearly would.

I've just heard them on Manx Radio being interviewed by Beth.

They all seem to have lots of vague ideas.

They never answer her direct question, 'How are you going to do that?'

I was impressed if J Watterson has saved lots of money in Home Affairs and has reduced the number of staff significantly.

Put him in DED or DEC to do the same there.

Listened to the show -

Scampi - clear, articulate, put his case well, impresses people but it all depends on whether enough people buy into his vision.

Watty - assured, didn't drop a howler other than calling himself a professional Manxman

Leo - seems to be half supporting Scampi. Best I've heard him tonight, but that's not hard.

Kemp - better than he has been but intellectually out of his depth.

Skelly - car-crash. He went into this campaign being talked of as a future CM, if he's re-elected (and it's become an if) he'll be lucky to get a minister's job - even the DOI.

But the real star was Beth Espey.

• Like 5

Listened to the show -

Scampi - clear, articulate, put his case well, impresses people but it all depends on whether enough people buy into his vision.

Watty - assured, didn't drop a howler other than calling himself a professional Manxman

Leo - seems to be half supporting Scampi. Best I've heard him tonight, but that's not hard.

Skelly - car-crash. He went into this campaign being talked of as a future CM, if he's re-elected (and it's become an if) he'll be lucky to get a minister's job - even the DOI.

I agree about Beth. I would like to be a fly on the wall when she discusses the candidates with husband Dan.

• Like 2

Listened to the show -

At the risk of boring everyone (!) I've said it before....Skelly is a vacuous, shallow, talentless waste of space. He's not fit for public office - if re-elected he shouldn't be anywhere near Ministerial office again.

• Like 4

Dan Davies, director of something in the Cabinet Office. But I don't see the relevance of mentioning him - if Beth has opinions of her own, which I'm sure she does, then those might have coloured her questions. Actually I suspect she's too professional to permit that, but journalists are not universally known for impartiality - one of the reasons I ceased watching / listening to the BBC was its consistent partiality.

Dan Davies, director of something in the Cabinet Office. But I don't see the relevance of mentioning him - if Beth has opinions of her own, which I'm sure she does, then those might have coloured her questions. Actually I suspect she's too professional to permit that, but journalists are not universally known for impartiality - one of the reasons I ceased watching / listening to the BBC was its consistent partiality.

Yes of course. I'm sure she and her husband focus on being impartial no matter how much money rolls in.

Edited by JackCarter

Yes of course. I'm sure she and her husband focus on being impartial no matter how much money rolls in.

Do you judge everyone's professional standards by their income?

Re tonight's debate and Mr Kemp's comment on the Government's previous incubation scheme being a disaster..."but that's all I'll say!" What he failed to divulge is that he worked for the financial services company that administered the scheme (the manner in which they were granted the tender for the scheme was previously scrutinised on these boards) and he was directly involved in that administration.

As a side issue, his résumé also fails to mention that he was a bouncer for a number of years. I would pay big money to be at the MHK's Chrimbo party if he and Ms Turner got in!!

For me, it's a no to Kemp and Cussons; totally out of their depth. Hampton has given me something to think about...an engaging, intelligent, credible alternative to Watterson and Skelly. Anyone feeling spoilt by our choices??

• Like 1

1st Watterson, will top by a fair margin kept his head down hard working apparently to, an outsider for chief minister a good possibility while others fight among themselves.

2nd Skelly, vote down but enough banked to squeeze back in, a prolific door knocker early posters up and on the coffee morning circuit like watterson above.

3rd Hampton,close but no cigar he speaks well and seems fairly popular, if he had declared earlier with some door knocking and put up some good posters also with a bit more earliar media attention an easy shoe in but still a large elderly population south not social media savvy. Still a candidate far better than most that are standing island wide.

4th Kemp,a bit stop start didn't come across that well on the radio slightly over confident and lacking in depth on subjects a bit behind Hampton I think.

5th Cussons, bright but again no depth or connection with the general public, the old boys in Tinpot would tie him up in knots in no time,

Fairplay to him and all others for trying while most just carry on moaning.

Just needed Orme,Power,Crellin to spice it up a bit.

• Like 2