Dan Davies, director of something in the Cabinet Office. But I don't see the relevance of mentioning him - if Beth has opinions of her own, which I'm sure she does, then those might have coloured her questions. Actually I suspect she's too professional to permit that, but journalists are not universally known for impartiality - one of the reasons I ceased watching / listening to the BBC was its consistent partiality.

Yes of course. I'm sure she and her husband focus on being impartial no matter how much money rolls in.

Do you judge everyone's professional standards by their income?

Pretty much yes as the IOM is such a grasping place where people are often prepared to compromise themselves for some pretty paltry amounts of money. Although I'm not saying this is the case here at all. My previous comment was just a general comment.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Skelly as CM would be the terminal breath of credible politics in the Isle of Man.

Shut up.

I hope he gets in if only to piss you off. Which it clearly would.

3rd Hampton,close but no cigar he speaks well and seems fairly popular, if he had declared earlier with some door knocking and put up some good posters also with a bit more earliar media attention an easy shoe in but still a large elderly population south not social media savvy. Still a candidate far better than most that are standing island wide.

His worst nightmare would be to be voted in as then he'd have to so something rether than talking bollocks from the sidelines. You can probably assume that's why he hasn't campaigned or knocked on doors. He has nothing whatsoever he can deliver after he gets in other than receiving £45k a year to play around on Facebook for 5 years. Nice work if you can get it.

Good post Greywolf. Hampton has done well with the older folk at meetings, and will have word of mouth in his favour. I also think the idea that old people aren't on line is becoming a bit patronising- someone retiring now may been have using computers at work for at least twenty years. I think he'll pick up Coussins second preferences if there are any.

The big worry isn't the pensioners, who take an interest, read all the literature, the paper and listen to the radio. The danger is the young commuter families, who don't pay that much attention to politics. This is the group that elected Watty in the first place and he'll get their first vote. I think Kemp will do well with this group, with his emphasis on education and his detailed manifesto. (A colleague at work likes his support for the Finnish model of education, actually I do too, but it's unworkable unless the UK change also).

So I think Kemp will take enough off Hampton to let Skelly back. But there'll only be a hundred votes or so between all three.

• Like 1

So I think Kemp will take enough off Hampton to let Skelly back. But there'll only be a hundred votes or so between all three.

I think that's a distinct possibility, though it's worth remembering that five sitting members lost their seats in 2011 because they were deemed ineffective - quite a high percentage and that's without the disruption of boundary changes. But the incumbents[1] do have the advantage of three opposing candidates with roughly similar profiles (male; late 30s - early 40s; educated; varied professional careers; interesting ideas not always well-expressed) who will split the vote between them.

[1] It's a interesting illustration of just how much has changed in Manx politics that Rushen is the only constituency where the two 2011 MHKs are standing again. Even in ACM Cregeen and Gawne previously represented well under half the electorate.

I also think the idea that old people aren't on line is becoming a bit patronising- someone retiring now may been have using computers at work for at least twenty years.

I think there is a difference between people being online and people being on social media

my old man is online a fair bit but he emails and reads news and books holidays, he's not scrolling through hashtags

• Like 1

His worst nightmare would be to be voted in as then he'd have to so something rether than talking bollocks from the sidelines. You can probably assume that's why he hasn't campaigned or knocked on doors. He has nothing whatsoever he can deliver after he gets in other than receiving £45k a year to play around on Facebook for 5 years. Nice work if you can get it.

• Like 5

I think Hampton's chances are about 50/50 in getting second ahead of Skelly at the moment. I know of a fair few Rushen voters who you wouldn't necessarily expect to vote for a candidate like him, but who have been won round by his manifesto and his performances in the requisition and other election meetings over the past fortnight. Whether he'll get enough though is up in the air I think.

Watterson should win. His track record is reasonable, he's got appeal to quite a broad range of voters, and he's a pretty decent guy.

I think Cussons will probably come last due to his lack of being a known face and his generally subdued meeting performances. Which is a shame as he does seem like he might be a half decent candidate, it's just been very difficult to tell. Kemp will probably take more votes than him although I think fortunately that most people can see that for all the shouting and the overblown CV there's very little substance so I can't see him troubling the top 3.

• Like 1

Dan Davies, director of something in the Cabinet Office. But I don't see the relevance of mentioning him - if Beth has opinions of her own, which I'm sure she does, then those might have coloured her questions. Actually I suspect she's too professional to permit that, but journalists are not universally known for impartiality - one of the reasons I ceased watching / listening to the BBC was its consistent partiality.

Yes of course. I'm sure she and her husband focus on being impartial no matter how much money rolls in.

Do you judge everyone's professional standards by their income?

She seems to be a professional journalist with integrity. I don't see why she should be tempted to be anything other than impartial but even if she was, she's certainly not stupid enough.

She kept them all on their toes. I imagine the ones who got Roger Watterson were relieved because they got a much easier ride from him. I can't imagine anyone in Manx politics much relishes the prospect of going on air with Beth Espey.

• Like 2

I'm hearing quite a bit of support for Scampi, Watterson is a shoe-in. Not hearing anything positive about Skelly, he's not been round mine like all the other candidates but he knows the game as he has leaflet dropped Marashen Crescent, Reayt y Chrink and Creggan beg today that I know of....all elderly complexes...

He's got a team out in force. There were people dropping leaflets up Bradda yesterday for him.

This reminds me of Gill last time who I saw knocking on doors late on the day before the vote. Suggests to me he knows he's in for a fight.

The thing I've noticed is the Tom Jones loss has gone down badly amongst my elderly mother's friends, especially as it's happening at the same time they're having to pay for tv licences.

Edited by Declan

It wouldn't piss me off. It wouldn't be the first time the electorate will have been duped by a well meaning bullshitter who will take a salary for doing next to nothing for 5 years. That, after all, appears to be the main result that happens in Manx politics so it would be hardly surprising.

It wouldn't piss me off. It wouldn't be the first time the electorate will have been duped by a well meaning bullshitter who will take a salary for doing next to nothing for 5 years. That, after all, appears to be the main result that happens in Manx politics so it would be hardly surprising.

methinks thou doth protest too much

• Like 2

He's got a team out in force. There were people dropping leaflets up Bradda yesterday for him.

This reminds me of Gill last time who I saw knocking on doors late on the day before the vote. Suggests to me he knows he's in for a fight.

The thing I've noticed is the Tom Jones loss has gone down badly amongst my elderly mother's friends, especially as it's happening at the same time they're having to pay for tv licences.

My mum is 94 today, when I visited this morning she also said she would not vote for LS because of the Tom Jones loss, actually she won't be voting for anyone as she has not received a polling card, neither has my sister, not decided myself but probably won't vote as I dislike the current system of government and it will be no change I'm afraid.

Edited by hagar the horrible