I know Peter very well.I can honestly say I don't believe it was ever about money with him and politics.

That may be the case but just looking at the public persona I do not see him much different than others and the fact that virtually every interview he does these days he starts off by spending five minutes telling the interviewer he is basically the only one who has been any good I do find grating. If any past member of the Government spoke in such a manner they would be ridiculed.

If you know him then you may get a completely different impression but I expect that is the case of most MHKs. Over the years I have met a few in situations where you chat and ask them questions for 15 minutes or so and the impression I have come away with each time is different to how I perceive they come across in public.

A common these is I have asked why they supported this or that when it seems the wrong decision or previously they have stated they were not in favour and frequently the response is we argued against but you can see the way the wind is blowing. If you are going to loose they view that it is better to go with the flow and save it for the next time as their is nothing to be gained from being seen as one of the awkward squad.

Similarly there are also aware that they have to be careful what they say in that they do not want to cause damage to confidence to the IoM. When the developer recently pulled out of Lord Street I asked who they thought was going to invest loads of cash with so much office space already available etc, I also mentioned the Douglas town plan vision. Privately they may well agree that they cannot see either happening but to they cannot state that publically as it would do little to attract or retain businesses etc to the IoM. Equally I expect that if they believe the financial position of the IoM is serious they cannot shout from the rooftops as that will do nothing for the IoM.

It is for reason's such of the above I do not really know who would make a good chief minister as I have no idea really how different the candidates would be if they had free reign or if they became part of a Govt.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Skelly as CM would be the terminal breath of credible politics in the Isle of Man.

Shut up.

I hope he gets in if only to piss you off. Which it clearly would.

A common these is I have asked why they supported this or that when it seems the wrong decision or previously they have stated they were not in favour and frequently the response is we argued against but you can see the way the wind is blowing. If you are going to loose they view that it is better to go with the flow and save it for the next time as their is nothing to be gained from being seen as one of the awkward squad.

And there you have the reason why, for all his faults, Karran is entitled to point to his record (and let's face it, if you don't big yourself up in Manx politics, no one else will[1]). He has tried to opposed the sort of things that everyone else knew were wrong but 'went with the flow' out of convenience and self-interest and wanting to be one of the boys.

[1] Unless you're Bell and employ lots of people (at public expense) to do it.

• Like 3

Oh I think quite a few more than the \bishop have poked fun at Peters convoluted delivery.

If only they could have matched him for integrity there may have been far less cause for the public to pour scorn on so many of them

He is no better or worse than the rest of them, it is just because he continually tells everybody he is the only one holding Govt to account and not seen as part of Govt his lapses are overlooked or forgotten about. You want simple and obvious examples. He castigated anybody who left the LVP and demanded they resign as MHKs Funny thing is when he left the Manx Labour Party after being elected under that banner he did not think to resign nor when having been elected as an independent he stopped being an independent but was a LVP member.

I am pretty sure that at the last election the LVP would not become members of the Govt unless there were changes in collective responsibility etc. Oh look who is that as Education Minister, surely not Peter Karran.

He complained when he was sacked as Education Minister because he said he did not follow the party line, but apparently sacking Zac Hall, who I appreciate might have been pretty useless, for not agreeing with Peter was fine.

Peter has suggested that he may try for election again in the future. Now if that had been anybody else I bet the suggestions would have gone around that they only stood down to get their pension rights in full including full uplift for being a Minister despite. Obviously Peter Karran would never think along those lines with him being almost a saint

I know Peter very well.I can honestly say I don't believe it was ever about money with him and politics.

Absolutely not. He's the least materialistic person I know. He's certainly not in it for the money. I bet he has no idea even what to spend the money on.

• Like 1