Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Rhumsaa

General Calibre of Candidates

on its own...maybe. But what if it was preceeded by a nursing or a physics or chemistry degree?

Why would someone with those qualifications want one in Business Administration?

Greater profit from their pill sales?

• Like 1

MBAs seem to have been largely abandoned nowadays - the bright kids are off to Silicon Valley

Sometimes it is very hard to fight the impression that there are some candidates who are only standing because there is the prospect of pulling £50k a year of taxpayers money for at least 5 years. It might be because they are in a lower paid job or because they are running a business that is struggling or are simply sick of what they are doing and see it as a way out. How many have genuinely fresh ideas that they can throw into the mix? How many really do it from a sense of public service? Some of them interview terribly on the radio - even some of the sitting members.

• Like 2

Sometimes it is very hard to fight the impression that there are some candidates who are only standing because there is the prospect of pulling £50k a year of taxpayers money for at least 5 years. It might be because they are in a lower paid job or because they are running a business that is struggling or are simply sick of what they are doing and see it as a way out. How many have genuinely fresh ideas that they can throw into the mix? How many really do it from a sense of public service? Some of them interview terribly on the radio - even some of the sitting members.

This is absolutely the case but has been so for a long time. It's by no means new this time around...but could, I grant you, be at elevated levels.

• Like 2

This is absolutely the case but has been so for a long time. It's by no means new this time around...but could, I grant you, be at elevated levels.

From my own point of view, I can honestly state that I am not standing for any financial reasons, I have not even bothered to look at what the remuneration package is!

I am standing solely because I believe that I can positively contribute to the future of the island, I am sure that there are many others in the same position.

I have never been motivated by huge personal financial gain and don't need a lot of money to get by anyway.

• Like 2

MBAs seem to have been largely abandoned nowadays - the bright kids are off to Silicon Valley

The last 3 people I've seen binned off recently in various businesses all had MBAs. I don't think theoretical business strategy adds much value to businesses that aren't writing new business and which don't understand how to sell to customers.

• Like 1

The last 3 people I've seen binned off recently in various businesses all had MBAs. I don't think theoretical business strategy adds much value to businesses that aren't writing new business and which don't understand how to sell to customers.

Absolutely. Some real planks have MBAs.

• Like 1

That David Fowler interview is superb. I hope he gets in so I can periodically email him to ask why Legoland hasn't been built yet.

Absolutely. Some real planks have MBAs.
I heard there are people with degrees in prison too for murder and stuff Time to ban them.

From my own point of view, I can honestly state that I am not standing for any financial reasons, I have not even bothered to look at what the remuneration package is!

I am standing solely because I believe that I can positively contribute to the future of the island, I am sure that there are many others in the same position.

I have never been motivated by huge personal financial gain and don't need a lot of money to get by anyway.

I am tempted to say I don't believe you but that would be churlish of me. Instead I will just say that you might hardly have your finger on the pulse if you aren't aware what Tynwald members are paid.

Maybe Isle of Man Newspapers will offer a prize for the candidate who comes up with a new political idea

Maybe Isle of Man Newspapers will offer a prize for the candidate who comes up with a new political idea

Political Idol 2016. All we need is a Simon Cowell type figure.