Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Rhumsaa

General Calibre of Candidates

MA in Economics. Graduated from Emmanuel College 1987.

Cambridge Bachelor's degrees normally automatically get bumped up to Master. Which in no way undermines a significant qualification.

So that's two Cambridge graduates of a similar age standing this year. That seems positive. I am not suggesting that all candidates should have a good degree or a serious professional background internationally - clearly diversity of experience is important. But we already seem to be doing ok for taxi drivers, window cleaners and yessirs in general.

Edited by pongo

Cambridge Bachelor's degrees normally automatically get bumped up to Master. Which in no way undermines a significant qualification.

So that's two Cambridge graduates of a similar age standing this year. That seems positive. I am not suggesting that all candidates should have a good degree or a serious professional background internationally - clearly diversity of experience is important. But we already seem to be doing ok for taxi drivers, window cleaners and yessirs in general.

I've missed something...who is the other Cantab graduate?

That's good news for the northern parishes

I've missed something...who is the other Cantab graduate?

Ray Harmer?

• Like 1

Even with two Oxbridge degrees between them, most of our MHKs would struggle to put together a team for 'Universally Challenged'.

What we need is a few MHKs (and fewer of them in general) who have real records of achievement and/or some real vision for the Island who have never harboured an ambition to be an MHK; who don't want a long career in politics but who would be willing to devote a few years of their life to getting something done and pushing the case for real reform of the poor way we are governed. I am looking for a candidate that fits this bill and is not going to be content waffling in Tynwald, pretending that they have more skill and experience than they have got; who are willing to listen to other people's ideas and make sound judgements about them rather than trying to convince thus that their meager experience and skills equips them with a whole load of good ideas themselves and who can actually demonstrate some evidence that they want to work for the electorate. I would like someone to come along who is not attracted to the Tynwald Club and will not be happy to stand on the hill on Tynwald Day in a ridiculous fancy dress outfit and has the courage to call bullshit what it actually is. In addition, I don't want anyone to be a member of the meaningless Manx Labour Party or that silly LibVan thing.

I know I seem to be asking a lot but despite reading all the "manifestos" from those who wish to participate in this beauty contest, I don't think I have found anywhere near enough there, so far, to inspire me. The prospect of a repeat of many of the current crop who are standing again is really quite depressing. Apologies for being so negative but that is the experience so far, pre-election.

• Like 1

What we need is a few MHKs (and fewer of them in general) ....

These people aren't going to give up their already fulfilling lives to serve a term or two without good reason - so why should they stand to participate in a system which really doesn't seem to permit achievement?

my apologies for the wrong spelling of caliber

MR 18th July

A commercial finance director has announced he's standing in the 2016 House of Keys General Election.

Tim Baker, 50, will contest the new constituency of Ayre and Michael.

Married with two daughters, Mr Baker believes he could provide new ideas on how the Island deals with the international financial environment.

A Cambridge University graduate with vast experience in the world of accountancy - he was a Group Financial Director for DLP Limited until this year.

Well, from that brief precis, he sounds like a better calibre of candidate than many we have seen recently. Time will tell, no doubt.

One of our problems is that our government is obsessed with finance and not concerned about the real well-being of the people who live here. I know you need money to achieve things but so much is wasted on vanity projects.

We don't need more accountants.

• Like 1

Why, how many accountants do we have as MHK's?

Seems like a decent quality candidate to me. Well educated and experienced.

Why, how many accountants do we have as MHK's?

Seems like a decent quality candidate to me. Well educated and experienced.

Kate and Juan to start with. Teare being an ex bank manager, so should have some accountancy training.

Ok so that's 2 out of 24. Hardly dominating the scene.

If we had 10 I'd get the point.

Ok so that's 2 out of 24. Hardly dominating the scene.

If we had 10 I'd get the point.

There are a few Tynpotwalders who are and have been involved in Banking. Could be worse, we could have 24 Ex Civil Servants

Think there's one or two MBAs in the Keys as well

Chris Thomas is a financial analyst