Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Rhumsaa

General Calibre of Candidates

Pat Ayres is a Lib Van candidate. This means he can promise anything he wishes as the likelihood of being elected is remote. Even if he does get elected by some curious turn of events, as a Lib Van candidate he won't be expected to deliver anything, just whinge a bit from the sidelines. How much he gets paid to do this is only marginally relevant as not delivering anything is a waste of money, however much it actually is.

Pat Ayres is a Lib Van candidate. This means he can promise anything he wishes as the likelihood of being elected is remote. Even if he does get elected by some curious turn of events, as a Lib Van candidate he won't be expected to deliver anything, just whinge a bit from the sidelines. How much he gets paid to do this is only marginally relevant as not delivering anything is a waste of money, however much it actually is.

He has all the political weight of a sack of horse shit anyway. The main problem with Lib Van's lack of success is largely down to people like him. How could any credible candidate for political office latch on to that as party spokesman with any seriousness? They've have more credibility with Screaming Lord Sutch and the Monster Raving Loony party as their political mouthpiece.

The main problem with any party called Liberal Vannin here, is that they unfortunately seem to represent, in all too many people's minds, for people that read UK newspapers...less than 5% of the views of the majority. And more people here read UK newspapers than IOM papers.

A party doomed by name and association.

Lib Vannin, just by their name will get at most 15% of the total vote this next general election.

It's difficult. If Peter Karran has left the legacy of Lib Van in the hands of Skrappy he's mad. But then Peter is out and good luck to him.

Edited by oldmanxfella

I found listening to Pat Ayres talking to John Moss quite painful. He had the appearance of a rabbit caught in the headlights for much of it and what he did say raised more questions about his credibility than provided answers.

On the matter of Lib Van policy they seem to discuss it but not really believe in it in any binding way. It is not a political party but a collection of individuals who gather under the same banner, for as long as it suits them, at least. This is a legacy of dear old Peter who formed a party without really understanding how a Party operates or what the central themes of policy and philosophy would be. All it attracted was a collection of fellow complainers. At times they have a point but they lack any credible policies or matters of real conviction to provide a realistic alternative set of proposals. Kate Beecroft typifies this approach as she regularly pops up whining in a fairly negative fashion but does little to provide an alternative policy or vision for voters to grab hold of.

Pat Ayres, for example talked about not taking a Departmental salary but what the "Party" really needs to do is rally behind the Lisvane proposals and construct a manifesto based on real political reform. That would not only deal with him not taking the salary enhancement, in the unlikely event of his election, but everyone else too. However the impression I always get is that Lib Van, like PK was and KB is, are really quite comfortable with the role they have in the existing set-up; being a self-appointed opposition within the confines of the existing political club. Being in Tynwald is something that they aspired to and want/wanted to maintain their membership of; it gives them personal meaning and income whilst delivering very little apart from token opposition and faux-outrage. Pat Ayres is just another manifestation of this pathetic trait.

Personally, I hate pretence. If you are going to form a political party within a political tradition that favours "independent" candidates, do it properly. This takes some strong philosophical foundations, conviction about policy, a firm policy framework and discipline. If you are going to be in opposition, oppose properly. Say what is wrong and what is right. Develop alternative proposals and stand by them. Liberal Vannin fails on just about all of these criteria and if it was not for the fact that no other alliances or parties exist, LV would have faded into obscurity some time ago.

• Like 1

I like Pat as a person. Nice genuine guy as far as I can tell.

I am not sure about the Lib Van thing either. Pat and Hooper seem complete opposites not fellow party members at times. But I don't know what goes on behind closed doors at Lib Van HQ.

Who was the chap on Manx Radio this morning being interviewed about his attempt on the Keys?

I didn't catch his name but he seemed a tad out of his depth.

Who was the chap on Manx Radio this morning being interviewed about his attempt on the Keys?

David Fowler?

David Fowler?

Yeah that was the chap.

Bless him

Unbelievable!

Who proposes and seconds these idiots?

The man is deluded.

Hasn't he just "declared"?

No guarantee that he'll actually be nominated?

Unbelievable!

Who proposes and seconds these idiots?

The man is deluded.

Hasn't he just "declared"?

No guarantee that he'll actually be nominated?

On second viewing, I reckon it's a spoof anyway. It must be.

I also saw a poster of his at the airport. It said "NOTHING TO DECLARE"

Edited by dilligaf
  • Like 2