Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Rhumsaa

General Calibre of Candidates

In amongst some decent candidates we're seeing the usual chaff of deluded chancers that we see every five years. Most of them couldn't win an egg and spoon race. The Manx Radio interviews, or at least the little I've caught of them, are an embarrassment all round.

The trouble with LibVan is that they're not really a party at all; just a loose ragbag collection of individuals with nothing really much in common beside a flag of convenience. A real party starts from agreed shared principles and policies, not a vague manifesto of intent.

• Like 3

I found listening to Pat Ayres talking to John Moss quite painful. He had the appearance of a rabbit caught in the headlights for much of it and what he did say raised more questions about his credibility than provided answers.

On the matter of Lib Van policy they seem to discuss it but not really believe in it in any binding way. It is not a political party but a collection of individuals who gather under the same banner, for as long as it suits them, at least. This is a legacy of dear old Peter who formed a party without really understanding how a Party operates or what the central themes of policy and philosophy would be. All it attracted was a collection of fellow complainers. At times they have a point but they lack any credible policies or matters of real conviction to provide a realistic alternative set of proposals. Kate Beecroft typifies this approach as she regularly pops up whining in a fairly negative fashion but does little to provide an alternative policy or vision for voters to grab hold of.

Pat Ayres, for example talked about not taking a Departmental salary but what the "Party" really needs to do is rally behind the Lisvane proposals and construct a manifesto based on real political reform. That would not only deal with him not taking the salary enhancement, in the unlikely event of his election, but everyone else too. However the impression I always get is that Lib Van, like PK was and KB is, are really quite comfortable with the role they have in the existing set-up; being a self-appointed opposition within the confines of the existing political club. Being in Tynwald is something that they aspired to and want/wanted to maintain their membership of; it gives them personal meaning and income whilst delivering very little apart from token opposition and faux-outrage. Pat Ayres is just another manifestation of this pathetic trait.

Personally, I hate pretence. If you are going to form a political party within a political tradition that favours "independent" candidates, do it properly. This takes some strong philosophical foundations, conviction about policy, a firm policy framework and discipline. If you are going to be in opposition, oppose properly. Say what is wrong and what is right. Develop alternative proposals and stand by them. Liberal Vannin fails on just about all of these criteria and if it was not for the fact that no other alliances or parties exist, LV would have faded into obscurity some time ago.

Sexist prig

The trouble with LibVan is that they're not really a party at all; just a loose ragbag collection of individuals with nothing really much in common beside a flag of convenience. A real party starts from agreed shared principles and policies, not a vague manifesto of intent.

The best (and most succinct) analysis of LibVan I've read. And it's why they will fail at this election. That and their shockingly bad candidates.

• Like 1

I found listening to Pat Ayres talking to John Moss quite painful. He had the appearance of a rabbit caught in the headlights for much of it and what he did say raised more questions about his credibility than provided answers.

On the matter of Lib Van policy they seem to discuss it but not really believe in it in any binding way. It is not a political party but a collection of individuals who gather under the same banner, for as long as it suits them, at least. This is a legacy of dear old Peter who formed a party without really understanding how a Party operates or what the central themes of policy and philosophy would be. All it attracted was a collection of fellow complainers. At times they have a point but they lack any credible policies or matters of real conviction to provide a realistic alternative set of proposals. Kate Beecroft typifies this approach as she regularly pops up whining in a fairly negative fashion but does little to provide an alternative policy or vision for voters to grab hold of.

Pat Ayres, for example talked about not taking a Departmental salary but what the "Party" really needs to do is rally behind the Lisvane proposals and construct a manifesto based on real political reform. That would not only deal with him not taking the salary enhancement, in the unlikely event of his election, but everyone else too. However the impression I always get is that Lib Van, like PK was and KB is, are really quite comfortable with the role they have in the existing set-up; being a self-appointed opposition within the confines of the existing political club. Being in Tynwald is something that they aspired to and want/wanted to maintain their membership of; it gives them personal meaning and income whilst delivering very little apart from token opposition and faux-outrage. Pat Ayres is just another manifestation of this pathetic trait.

Personally, I hate pretence. If you are going to form a political party within a political tradition that favours "independent" candidates, do it properly. This takes some strong philosophical foundations, conviction about policy, a firm policy framework and discipline. If you are going to be in opposition, oppose properly. Say what is wrong and what is right. Develop alternative proposals and stand by them. Liberal Vannin fails on just about all of these criteria and if it was not for the fact that no other alliances or parties exist, LV would have faded into obscurity some time ago.

Sexist prig

Perhaps you would explain which part of my post would indicate that?

"Kate Beecroft typifies this approach as she regularly pops up whining in a fairly negative fashion"

"Kate Beecroft typifies this approach as she regularly pops up whining in a fairly negative fashion"

Not sexist if accurate Donald...and it's certainly accurate.

No it isn't

The good lady asks questions of CoMin - on behalf of the people - on important social or spending issues when no one else in the house can be bothered to get off their backside(s)

To call it 'whining' is an insult

• Like 1

No it isn't

The good lady asks questions of CoMin - on behalf of the people - on important social or spending issues when no one else in the house can be bothered to get off their backside(s)

To call it 'whining' is an insult

It might be insulting but sexist or prigish? I think your admiration of Kate is skewing your judgement. But whatever.

Fact is though...regardless of what gets asked...nothing has changed in 10 years.

Still the same old profligacy.

• Like 3

Fact is though...regardless of what gets asked...nothing has changed in 10 years.

Correct - Beecroft has duped the electorate into believing that she's "on their side" or "one of them" simply through an unstructured, random pursuit of government policy/Ministers through (often ill-framed)!questions, so as to appear to be a diligent opposition. She's not the first, nor will be the last, to do so. Actually, the reverse is true - she's allowing government off the hook because she's not at all effective, in reality, at what she purports to do. If gauged politically by benchmarking her against the achievements of LibVan she emerges with even less lustre...the "party" is a ceaseless car crash. Beecroft is another third rate politician elevated by conning fourth rate voters.

Correct - Beecroft has duped the electorate into believing that she's "on their side" or "one of them" simply through an unstructured, random pursuit of government policy/Ministers through (often ill-framed)!questions, so as to appear to be a diligent opposition. She's not the first, nor will be the last, to do so. Actually, the reverse is true - she's allowing government off the hook because she's not at all effective, in reality, at what she purports to do. If gauged politically by benchmarking her against the achievements of LibVan she emerges with even less lustre...the "party" is a ceaseless car crash. Beecroft is another third rate politician elevated by conning fourth rate voters.

Absolutely what I have been saying, or trying to.

• Like 1

I believe Mrs Beecroft to be a courageous individual who'd do a great job presiding over some sort of office of budget responsibility

I can't tell if this is trolling or not?

• Like 1