Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Rhumsaa

General Calibre of Candidates

I thought the stinking enigma's love affair with Brindley was good to read but this new work of art on the Social Justice Warrior Beecroft supporter is intriguing

• Like 1

Jon Joughin's main concerns of priority for our future seem to hinge around Horse Trams and the Promenade scheme.

He feels that there has been too much interference in the prom project.

I feel that far too much money has been earmarked for this vanity project and,further, i feel far too much money has already been wasted on consultations and pontifications so far.

Jon,I bear nothing personal against you at all,but the difficulties the Isle of Man is facing now and over the next five years will require far greater ingenuity to resolve than the parochialism of a man who'd be better suited with a Town Councillors role.

In his interview Jon say he has sat in deliberations with the Council. I honestly believe he would do far greater good for Douglas if he used his large stature and sat directly on top of them.

Link to MR article and interview :

http://147-5433bc3297b05.radiocms.com/news/isle-of-man-news/election-hopeful-to-prioritise-prom-and-horse-trams/

Edited by Lisenchuk
  • Like 1

Jon Joughin's main concerns of priority for our future seem to hinge around Horse Trams and the Promenade scheme.

He feels that there has been too much interference in the prom project.

I feel that far too much money has been earmarked for this vanity project and,further, i feel far too much money has already been wasted on consultations and pontifications so far.

Jon,I bear nothing personal against you at all,but the difficulties the Isle of Man is facing now and over the next five years will require far greater ingenuity to resolve than the parochialism of a man who'd be better suited with a Town Councillors role.

In his interview Jon say he has sat in deliberations with the Council. I honestly believe he would do far greater good for Douglas if he used his large stature and sat directly on top of them.

Link to MR article and interview :

http://147-5433bc3297b05.radiocms.com/news/isle-of-man-news/election-hopeful-to-prioritise-prom-and-horse-trams/

Not exactly Barak Obama is he? In fact not exactly Barrack Street (sorry..I'll get my coat).

• Like 2

I've just scrolled through each constituency on MRs "Election 2016" microsite. Dear God it's a bleak picture. So bleak in fact that Singer's a shoe-in to be returned in Ramsey. Many constituencies have, effectively, zero choice...literally so in Peel and Glenfaba where there appears unlikely to be a contest. Beecroft and Malarkey will be back; the choice in Garff is soul-destroying and the challengers in Rushen won't be giving Skelly and Watty any sleepless nights. Douglas is its usual familiar nightmare of third-raters and wannabe MHK failed Councillors. The only apparent interest is whether Shimmins and Craine will oust the fat lad in Middle, who will float to the top of the six-strong murky waters in Castletown, Malew and Arbory and who will join Cannan in Ayre (answer, Tim Baker).

Of course all the re-elected duffers will spout that the electorate are satisfied with their representation. I suspect otherwise - the electorate are completely disengaged from a failed and discredited political cadre. Turnout will be interesting.

• Like 1

I think the Jono Joughin factor has to be considered here too. On his second attempt, with 159 votes, Jono has become a National Politician. He can do it, more-or-less anyone can. But well done Jon.

Say what you like, but Jon's sat there with Robertshaw, Bell, Watterson, Thomas, et al. Ok, he has Quirky and Malarkey to keep him company on an intellectual level, but whatever, they are all National Politicians and will go down in the anals of history.

• Like 1

It's a bum deal if not.

I've just scrolled through each constituency on MRs "Election 2016" microsite. Dear God it's a bleak picture. So bleak in fact that Singer's a shoe-in to be returned in Ramsey. Many constituencies have, effectively, zero choice...literally so in Peel and Glenfaba where there appears unlikely to be a contest.

I suppose two seat constituencies always had the potential of letting some half bakes slip through where they previously would not have done either by coming a poor second or being elected uncontested.

I've just scrolled through each constituency on MRs "Election 2016" microsite. Dear God it's a bleak picture. So bleak in fact that Singer's a shoe-in to be returned in Ramsey. Many constituencies have, effectively, zero choice...literally so in Peel and Glenfaba where there appears unlikely to be a contest.

I suppose two seat constituencies always had the potential of letting some half bakes slip through where they previously would not have done either by coming a poor second or being elected uncontested.

Dead right and being proven in spades sadly.

I've just scrolled through each constituency on MRs "Election 2016" microsite. Dear God it's a bleak picture. So bleak in fact that Singer's a shoe-in to be returned in Ramsey. Many constituencies have, effectively, zero choice...literally so in Peel and Glenfaba where there appears unlikely to be a contest. Beecroft and Malarkey will be back; the choice in Garff is soul-destroying and the challengers in Rushen won't be giving Skelly and Watty any sleepless nights. Douglas is its usual familiar nightmare of third-raters and wannabe MHK failed Councillors. The only apparent interest is whether Shimmins and Craine will oust the fat lad in Middle, who will float to the top of the six-strong murky waters in Castletown, Malew and Arbory and who will join Cannan in Ayre (answer, Tim Baker).

Of course all the re-elected duffers will spout that the electorate are satisfied with their representation. I suspect otherwise - the electorate are completely disengaged from a failed and discredited political cadre. Turnout will be interesting.

I think Hooper & Allinson are two good candidates in Ramsey - why would coffin dodger Singer be re-elected in preference to them?

I think Hooper & Allinson are two good candidates in Ramsey - why would coffin dodger Singer be re-elected in preference to them?

I do wonder if Singer will have the sway of the older generation compared to Lawrie

I think Lawrie is a good technical politician but not a great orator, certainly not as confident in public as Singer, and that might be his undoing

ETA - I think regardless of who gets in none of them have done themselves any favours in my eyes by their little petty snipes at each other, I'd rather have 2 MHK's working together for Ramsey and the Island not trying to score points off each other

Edited by Rhumsaa
  • Like 1

I thought the banter between Hooper & Allinson was generally friendly

Have I missed summit?

I thought the banter between Hooper & Allinson was generally friendly

Have I missed summit?

I meant more against Singer

I do wonder if Singer will have the sway of the older generation compared to Lawrie

I think Lawrie is a good technical politician but not a great orator, certainly not as confident in public as Singer, and that might be his undoing

ETA - I think regardless of who gets in none of them have done themselves any favours in my eyes by their little petty snipes at each other, I'd rather have 2 MHK's working together for Ramsey and the Island not trying to score points off each other

I really don't understand how someone who is 73 is allowed to stand.

• Like 1