Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Rhumsaa

General Calibre of Candidates

Exactly.

I just don't get it.

At 73 you are finished really. Physically and mentally. And getting in the way of a younger person who can bring more to the table long term.

And to take on a remit until you are 78?

It simply should not be allowed.

Exactly.

I just don't get it.

At 73 you are finished really. Physically and mentally. And getting in the way of a younger person who can bring more to the table long term.

Bernie Sanders is 74 and Trump 70, I think it depends on your marbles?

I wouldn't have rules like that, it is for the electorate to decide. There should be the minimum of restrictions, even if we hope that they wouldn't vote for someone too old.

I wouldn't have rules like that, it is for the electorate to decide. There should be the minimum of restrictions, even if we hope that they wouldn't vote for someone too old.

Or why they would want to.

Agreed

So is it the general view that Beecroft is to be slagged off but not Singer?

No I think Singer is fair game. They all are, but we should stick to actions and abilities. Or lack of them in this case.

• Like 2

Judges can be well into their 70s, eg the guy brought over to the Isle of Man to pontificate the Savings & Investment Bank was 75.

Edited by gettafa

Had to look at that post twice,ohmy.png

Not at all

I just want to hear a candidate tell me why I should vote for them not hear them bitch about someone else, it makes me think less of them.

ETA - Never voted for Singer and not going to vote for him so no championing of his cause from me

Edited by Rhumsaa
  • Like 2

Judges can be well into their 70s, eg the guy brought over to the Isle of Man to pontificate the Savings & Investment Bank was 75.

Was he being given a 5 year mandate to serve the people of the island?

Judges can be well into their 70s,

And if ever there was a group that proves doddering old gits should not be entrusted with important work this is the prime example. Not only are they old but they tend to be of a genre that has never lived in the real world even in their prime.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 6

I've just scrolled through each constituency on MRs "Election 2016" microsite. Dear God it's a bleak picture. So bleak in fact that Singer's a shoe-in to be returned in Ramsey. Many constituencies have, effectively, zero choice...literally so in Peel and Glenfaba where there appears unlikely to be a contest. Beecroft and Malarkey will be back; the choice in Garff is soul-destroying and the challengers in Rushen won't be giving Skelly and Watty any sleepless nights. Douglas is its usual familiar nightmare of third-raters and wannabe MHK failed Councillors. The only apparent interest is whether Shimmins and Craine will oust the fat lad in Middle, who will float to the top of the six-strong murky waters in Castletown, Malew and Arbory and who will join Cannan in Ayre (answer, Tim Baker).

Of course all the re-elected duffers will spout that the electorate are satisfied with their representation. I suspect otherwise - the electorate are completely disengaged from a failed and discredited political cadre. Turnout will be interesting.

I think Hooper & Allinson are two good candidates in Ramsey - why would coffin dodger Singer be re-elected in preference to them?

I'll bow to your superior knowledge Donald. I agree that Allinson looks electable but I thought the general assessment was that Hooper is a no-hoper prat. Perhaps that's not so...I'm not at all close to happenings in Royal Ramsey. I'd love to see that greasy slime-ball Singer emptied. Odious creature.

Exactly.

I just don't get it.

A slightly less than democratic view there. Should we similarly preclude the under 25s on the basis that they have far less life experience? The voters can decide if an aging candidate lacks the acumen and stamina to serve. Besides, there is a raft of reasons why one wouldn't vote for Singer that are far more pressing than his age.