Jump to content
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
mad_manx

Query:Flight cancellation compensation?

Recommended Posts

 

Flybe has contacted me and have said that they are going to pass on the details to Stobart air who were supposed to take me across.

But you don't have any contractual relationship with Stobart. You contract with Flybe and they contract with Stobart.

That's exactly what I thought. I am going to see what the response is going to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Flybe has contacted me and have said that they are going to pass on the details to Stobart air who were supposed to take me across.

But you don't have any contractual relationship with Stobart. You contract with Flybe and they contract with Stobart.

That's exactly what I thought. I am going to see what the response is going to be.

 

 

What happened?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got an email from Flybe on thursday. They agreed to give me the EU261 compensation also a full refund of my airfare.

 

I.e 250 euros plus my airfare.

 

They did offer me a flybe voucher for 350 (£300)valid for 18 months. I would have taken it if I wanted to travel somewhere on flybe in the next few months. However since I can't use them for a while(and seeing how airlines can stop services etc) , I decided to take the cash.

Edited by mad_manx
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got an email from Flybe on thursday. They agreed to give me the EU261 compensation also a full refund of my airfare.

I.e 250 euros plus my airfare.

They did offer me a flybe voucher for 350 (£300)valid for 18 months. I would have taken it if I wanted to travel somewhere on flybe in the next few months. However since I can't use them for a while(and seeing how airlines can stop services etc) , I decided to take the cash.

Result :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's an interesting one.  We did a direct holiday with Freedom travel over practice week and TT week.  They use BA as the operator.

To cut a long story short the young fella (not fit to fly) and his mummy came back on a flight a week later.   That flight was scheduled to return on the Saturday evening.

The inbound flight was delayed due to a Bumble Bee getting into the cockpit (and ultimately into an instrument I believe) and the long and short of it was that they needed to get another aircraft to make the flight out.  So by the time they arrived in Menorca the crew were over their allowable flying hours and as a result the flight did not return until the Sunday.

So, after a 5 hours plus wait to be told in the airport and being ferried around to a hotel at midnight for a 6-30 a.m pick up, this ball ache merited a €400 per person compensation claim.  Having duly submitted it BA, some 7 weeks later they have finally responded citing no compensation as follows:

"Your claim has been refused because BA4500 on 17 June was delayed because of crew sickness.  There was also an issue where the engine had to be checked due to a large insect becoming lodged in part of the engine that needed checked before being cleared for take-off which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled.  Under EU legislation, I’m afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation. "

The letter BA issued at the time clearly stated what the issue was and staff sickness wasn't part of it.

Clearly this is the standard tactic hoping people go away but none the less it is irritating.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, notwell said:

Here's an interesting one.  We did a direct holiday with Freedom travel over practice week and TT week.  They use BA as the operator.

To cut a long story short the young fella (not fit to fly) and his mummy came back on a flight a week later.   That flight was scheduled to return on the Saturday evening.

The inbound flight was delayed due to a Bumble Bee getting into the cockpit (and ultimately into an instrument I believe) and the long and short of it was that they needed to get another aircraft to make the flight out.  So by the time they arrived in Menorca the crew were over their allowable flying hours and as a result the flight did not return until the Sunday.

So, after a 5 hours plus wait to be told in the airport and being ferried around to a hotel at midnight for a 6-30 a.m pick up, this ball ache merited a €400 per person compensation claim.  Having duly submitted it BA, some 7 weeks later they have finally responded citing no compensation as follows:

"Your claim has been refused because BA4500 on 17 June was delayed because of crew sickness.  There was also an issue where the engine had to be checked due to a large insect becoming lodged in part of the engine that needed checked before being cleared for take-off which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled.  Under EU legislation, I’m afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation. "

The letter BA issued at the time clearly stated what the issue was and staff sickness wasn't part of it.

Clearly this is the standard tactic hoping people go away but none the less it is irritating.  

 

Stick with it. They will give in...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the advice.   It is a little like dealing with some of the clowns on here to be fair so I'm well practiced.  It's all a big game.  Just a little patience needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, notwell said:

Thanks for the advice.   It is a little like dealing with some of the clowns on here to be fair 

So they'll blow you out and make you look like a right dick after you've wasted 3 months of your life constantly fighting with them then Jeeves? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your trolling hasn't ever been particularly great but since you've reappeared recently it's like a new level of shite. You should get off your mums tit when posting. You might be able to concentrate better. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, notwell said:

Your trolling hasn't ever been particularly great but since you've reappeared recently it's like a new level of shite. You should get off your mums tit when posting. You might be able to concentrate better. 

Proving what a grown up you are again. Well done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you miss a flight or don't turn up ...your choice or fault...you can still claim back the VAT paid on it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/08/2017 at 8:03 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

If you miss a flight or don't turn up ...your choice or fault...you can still claim back the VAT paid on it.

But most airlines charge an admin fee to ensure that no one claims it..

 

Think its £25 for flybe which is probably far more than the taxes you could claimhold. Please note that there is a £25.00 (€34.00) administration fee per person, per sectors in your booking.

Edited by mad_manx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are only entitled to the compensation if the delay was something within the airline's control. The guidelines say the airline must prove there were extraordinary circumstances and it took all reasonable steps to avoid them.

Would have to say a bee getting into the instruments sounds fairly 'extraordinary'.

I would be surprised if they paid out under those circumstances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/08/2017 at 9:03 AM, Albert Tatlock said:

If you miss a flight or don't turn up ...your choice or fault...you can still claim back the VAT paid on it.

What rate is VAT charged on scheduled flights Albert? I thought they were zero rated.

Yes, you can claim back the departure tax and airport handling charges, subject to the airline handling charge, of course.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...