Criticism deterring candidates?

When you're not standing and you get abuse about how rubbish you'd be as an mhk.... Then I can see their point

But at least now you know that people think you'd be a crap candidate if you ever stood. So if you did get bad press if you ever did stand it wouldn't be a surprise.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

But I'm assuming it's not just a Manx thing? Any politician anywhere is probably being slagged off by some bell-end on Facebook. It's par for the course surely? Especially if, like Eddie, you're pushi

If you actually expect anyone to believe that you've outbiffed everyone.

This guff comes mostly from Messrs Bell, Shimmin & Teare   AKA 'Bellshit'   If they actually took the time to interact with people on policy issues they'd probably receive a lot less criticism

Posted Images

When you're not standing and you get abuse about how rubbish you'd be as an mhk.... Then I can see their point

But at least now you know that people think you'd be a crap candidate if you ever stood. So if you did get bad press if you ever did stand it wouldn't be a surprise.

Basically Manx forums were performing a service?

.........but as I indicate above, 'WE' are not the general public, who have a more responsible attitude to elections.

... or disservice?

Edited by Kopek

Basically Manx forums were performing a service?

It's a bit like working on a building site. Character building!

.... except on a building site you have to work to a plan or things go awry. MFers do not have a plan ( or any idea?). That's why you need a foreman (politician) to show you how things should be done!

I read this on Manx Radio beforehttp://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/social-media-criticism-putting-off-election-candidates/

Are they that thin skinned that they don't think the public should pull them up for all the appalling things they do when in office?

I suppose we're just supposed to take our increasing disenfranchisement with good grace. I can't believe he thinks he should be aloof from any form of public criticism as things rapidly head down the toilet for most people except an elite clique of triple-pensioned multi salaried politicians like him, and well insulated gravy training public officials.

It depends what you count as social media. The worst culprit is that semi-establishment rag Manannans Review which continually rips the ass out of any candidate deemed not acceptable to the establishment. It's by far the worst example as it tries to masquerade as a source of politics news.

Edited by oldmanxfella
  • Like 1

If our representatives are shit we only have ourselves to blame.

I don't know who in their right mind would be an MHK. We bleat on about how we want experienced, intelligent, worldly people in the Keys. But what sober minded executive is going to put their carreer on hold for 5 years and take a pay cut for an extended bout of villification and abuse by a public who write foamy mouthed personal attacks on them on social media, and don't understand the first thing about how a country is run.

• Like 4

I read this on Manx Radio beforehttp://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/social-media-criticism-putting-off-election-candidates/

Are they that thin skinned that they don't think the public should pull them up for all the appalling things they do when in office?

I suppose we're just supposed to take our increasing disenfranchisement with good grace. I can't believe he thinks he should be aloof from any form of public criticism as things rapidly head down the toilet for most people except an elite clique of triple-pensioned multi salaried politicians like him, and well insulated gravy training public officials.

It depends what you count as social media. The worst culprit is that semi-establishment rag Manannans Review which continually rips the ass out of any candidate deemed not acceptable to the establishment. It's by far the worst example as it tries to masquerade as a source of politics news.

And I suspect the 7 readers of Mannanan's Review take onboard the content of the site.

• Like 1

Fair comment MB. If you disagree with a policy or an idea then fair play, you have the right to say so and say why. I guess Eddie's talking about the unpleasant pointless stuff;

Here's a gem from the MF election section commenting about the candidates in general

"They're pretty rubbish and half of them I wonder what rock they crawled from under. Never heard of them and they don't have Manx names"

No policy analysis from our keyboard warrior, no explanations no counterargument, just bile.

It was me who wrote that and I was saying it about the general caliber of candidates who have already put their names forward. It was in response to this post by Rhumsaa:

"Is it just me or is the current field of prospective MHK's rather underwhelming in calibre?I am not normally a negative nelly but I am left uninspired by the names I am seeing throw their hat in the ring so far."

I was only agreeing with him. My reply wasn't aimed at any individual, nor could it have deterred anyone, since it is about those who have already stood. Rather, it is a lament that more able people don't stand. If you want me to post a serious policy analysis, I'd be happy to, but to what policies are you referring? I've seem little if any to read and analyse. I think my post was self-explanatory, and far from being bile it was a short and sweet direct to the point comment on the general caliber of candidates. I'm entitled to my opinion and I'm not a "keyboard warrior". I am more than happy to say to candidates' faces exactly what I wrote.

Edited by llap