Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
BossHogg

Roofer recommendations

18 minutes ago, pongo said:

This is an interesting thread and you obviously know your onions. But I have a question? Ecobob says that it is a one storey property - therefore presumably a fairly short chimney. Would that make it less likely that gasses would be condensing inside the chimney - less likely than with a taller stack where the upper part would likely be very much cooler?

You could be right but other factors could be the dimensions of the flue and the resulting 'draw' (airflow can be established by using a anemometer (SP?) older  cottage type properties can have flues with a large cross section ( for smoking meat/fish ?)

The aspect of the property maybe a factor if the flue is on the side of the property facing the prevailing wind, particularly with a random rubble/lime mortar construction which will ensure the walls stay cooler than a modern brick construction.

As doc has posted a re roofing of the type of property can be sorted in a couple of days , back in the day I can remember stripping re-felting battening and  slating a victorian terrace (with a back addition) roof over a weekend:) .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paswt said:

I'd first check to see if a flue liner has been installed and the void between the liner and the stack infilled with a proprietary  insulating  granular material . 

It is now a requirement that liners are fitted to wood burning stoves, it's not a big job IMO.

If there is still apparent rain water ingress then I suspect on an old property that either the  apron and associated flashings may have deteriorated over time together with the 'soakers' ( if the  gable wall of the property is higher than the roof surface)  . A common and poor repair IMO was , commonly in the past , providing cement fillets in a perhaps vain attempt to divert rainwater away from this  parapet wall .

If the roof timbers are sound then the cost should not be prohibitive , but you would need scaffolding .

I wish you luck

No it’s not if you live in a bungalow.

51 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Pm sent.

Twat! Tony Blair is now sat on my patio.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Pm sent.

It hasn't arrived

are you burning coal.......

If it is an old stone cottage then the chimney might just need repointing or recapping, not necessarily a roofers job. It's probably been covered with cement at some point as a repair, bit this will have made the problem worse. All over the island on old stone buildings idiots have repointed or rerendered with cement. Fools.

4 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

If it is an old stone cottage then the chimney might just need repointing or recapping, not necessarily a roofers job. It's probably been covered with cement at some point as a repair, bit this will have made the problem worse. All over the island on old stone buildings idiots have repointed or rerendered with cement. Fools.

Good point , some folk fail to realise that a modern property's  'envelope' (i.e. brick) offers an impervious surface(like a raincoat)  whereas a rubble/lime construction is more of an overcoat which absorbs some water which then evaporates after the rain. 

By applying cement pointing to a lime mortar/rubble wall  water will find access to the structure as the lime mortar never sets (other than the outside crust)  and allows some movement of the structure. The water in the wall then can find it's way out via window heads and the inside walls .

Beware of buying a "barn conversion" which has been rendered or repointed by  "Fiddler and Leak" , "Bodgit and Creapaway"  or others who purport to be "builders" :lol: