Jump to content
Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
ans

Sports Direct IOM

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Rhumsaa said:

I hope in the midst of fashion sportswear we don't lose sight of shops actually selling sports equipment like boots and gumshields etc

SD sell them

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sportsdirect is like bringing the internet to the island. Affordable prices that can't be beaten anywhere else whilst employing local people, paying local taxes and creating local wealth. Of course like every big business they're not doing it for altruistic purposes but it does bring with it advantages having it here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Neil Down said:

If it had decent footfall then why were there so many closed units in the Strand. Same goes for the other "shopping centre" in Castle Street. There are more offices than shops in there

That's quite easy to answer.

The shopping centre in Castle Street is in Castle Street. That's the problem.  Just like once you walk past M and S at the other end.

The units in the Strand were far too expensive to remt as was the service charge. Driven  by debt no doubt.  Plenty of businesses have still operated successfully for years from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, John Wright said:

Really?

Source?

The evidence in the Regeneration report was that north Strand Street, Castle Street and the Strand had poor footfall.

i call another nottie fake news event.

I suspect you wouldn't know given you buy online most of the time rather than shop with the peasants John.

Footfall is in the tens of thousands per week and that end of the street is still plenty busy. The cut off is the lane up to Shoprite.  And M and S (which I've no doubt you do shop in so you'll know the footfall there) is the cut off at the other end.  Always has been really.

Sports Direct and anything else in there will do just fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, notwell said:

I suspect you wouldn't know given you buy online most of the time rather than shop with the peasants John.

Footfall is in the tens of thousands per week and that end of the street is still plenty busy. The cut off is the lane up to Shoprite.  And M and S (which I've no doubt you do shop in so you'll know the footfall there) is the cut off at the other end.  Always has been really.

Sports Direct and anything else in there will do just fine.

Except for the guy who used to run ModelTech. 

Nice fella.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, notwell said:

I suspect you wouldn't know given you buy online most of the time rather than shop with the peasants John.

Why would you assume that John buys everything online?

i think one day it would be good for MF to have a facts day, where some of the usual posters are required to back up what they say with actual facts rather than spouting nonsense. As John says further up there have been footfall surveys done of Douglas (the Douglas Regeneration Report which was online somewhere) which say that north Strand Street, Castle Street, and the Strand have poor footfall which doesn't back up a lot of what's been said here at all. 

Edited by thesultanofsheight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, notwell said:

I suspect you wouldn't know given you buy online most of the time rather than shop with the peasants John.

Footfall is in the tens of thousands per week and that end of the street is still plenty busy. The cut off is the lane up to Shoprite.  And M and S (which I've no doubt you do shop in so you'll know the footfall there) is the cut off at the other end.  Always has been really.

Sports Direct and anything else in there will do just fine.

I suspect I've been in Shoprite/Iceland and Strand Centre in the last 3 years many more times than M&S. I was in court for all of theTesco Licensing hearings. I'm aware of footfall figures for Duke, Strand ( both ends ) and Castle Streets.

The whole premise for the grant of the Licence to Tesco, if you go read the judgment, was that north Strand Street and Castle Street and Strand Centre had much lower footfall than the Drumgold/Strand/Regent Street axis and it needed a new anchor tenant to regenerate and increase footfall.

There is now a different new anchor tenant, hopefully it will increase footfall.

i return to my point that what you said about footfall is fake and is not borne out by fact.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neil Down said:

SD sell them

excellent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I suspect I've been in Shoprite/Iceland and Strand Centre in the last 3 years many more times than M&S. I was in court for all of theTesco Licensing hearings. I'm aware of footfall figures for Duke, Strand ( both ends ) and Castle Streets.

The whole premise for the grant of the Licence to Tesco, if you go read the judgment, was that north Strand Street and Castle Street and Strand Centre had much lower footfall than the Drumgold/Strand/Regent Street axis and it needed a new anchor tenant to regenerate and increase footfall.

There is now a different new anchor tenant, hopefully it will increase footfall.

i return to my point that what you said about footfall is fake and is not borne out by fact.

It's a fact John that footfall was decent there over a long period of time.  Footfall might be lower right now but if you put the right businesses in Strand the footfall will be there. 

The HMV store at one point would have been in the top quarter of all HMV stores.  Mothercare  too.

Perhaps you should have a word with Mike Ashley and let him know there is piss poor footfall there and he's made a massive mistake?

Tesco wouldn't have been interested in putting that store twenty yards further up the street.towards   The footfall die's dramatically at that lane and the road down to Jaks. 

I think essence of the original comments by whoever was about businesses failing at Strand because the footfall is shit.  It isn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, notwell said:

It's a fact John that footfall was decent there over a long period of time.  

The "fact" is that JW has data based evidence and you have....well you don't.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thesultanofsheight said:

Why would you assume that John buys everything online?

i think one day it would be good for MF to have a facts day, where some of the usual posters are required to back up what they say with actual facts rather than spouting nonsense. As John says further up there have been footfall surveys done of Douglas (the Douglas Regeneration Report which was online somewhere) which say that north Strand Street, Castle Street, and the Strand have poor footfall which doesn't back up a lot of what's been said here at all. 

We could also have a common sense day where those who've lived here a little while use their common sense about what has been in the Strand over the years and who has been successful.

Give Ashley a shout about the footfall.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RIchard Britten said:

The "fact" is that JW has data based evidence and you have....well you don't.

If the footfall wasn't decent how did businesses last over twenty years in there?

Certain shops and businesses did perfectly well in there.  It could have been much better had the rents amd servce charges not been so prohibitive in there.

Sounds like Ashley needs you to have a word with him too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, notwell said:

If the footfall wasn't decent how did businesses last over twenty years in there?

Certain shops and businesses did perfectly well in there.  It could have been much better had the rents amd servce charges not been so prohibitive in there.

Sounds like Ashley needs you to have a word with him too. 

Regardless, you are still trying to argue with actual facts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really.  

Neil Down asked why units were closed if footfall was good.

I've answered.  Rents and service charge were very high. Driven by the debt position of the owner.  Businesses have been successful in there and it has been busy.  Had the rents and service charges been 30% lower more businesses would have done well in there as several other's did over twenty years.

In the end it's a vicious circle.  Footfall has to drop if units empty increase.  That place will be very busy with footfall once again when SD etc opens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of tenants signed 21 year leases and had to stay. Others signed shorter leases. At the end everyone was on short leases waiting for a new anchor. They went one by one. There's been huge turn over of tenants and many empty units for a long time. Footfall was poor. 

SD will have all the public figures and their own. They'd factor it in to price negotiation when buying. They're in a different position to ordinary tenants. They own the place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...