Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
ans

Sports Direct IOM

Yes I know nothing. Thanks for pointing it out. I lived in Jersey for several years by the way so have experience both sides. Thanks for your (lack of) insight though.

Ah that explains it. The snooty deluded jersey superiority complex.

You have a massive attitude problem pal.

Where did I say that either? As I pointed out at the start Jersey has had a sports direct for years.

Crapaud

Yes I know nothing. Thanks for pointing it out. I lived in Jersey for several years by the way so have experience both sides. Thanks for your (lack of) insight though.

Ah that explains it. The snooty deluded jersey superiority complex.

You have a massive attitude problem pal.

Where did I say that either? As I pointed out at the start Jersey has had a sports direct for years.

Crapaud

No, on secondment from here.

Another thread gone the usual way.

Unfortunately that seems to be the way here, I've seen forums who have moderators before. But never a case of a forum bouncer who swaggers around the place telling people they are stupid and generally being intimidating when views are challenged.

Edited by Frankthewank

Lol. You are the one who got bent out of shape when you were challenged over a comment about the Isle of Man effectively "pretending" to be Jersey.

It isn't true and it was a silly comment. You were duly pulled for it. You agreed with Parchedpeas then At the same time you knocked the Manx economy for Dealz and Sports Direct when, the very economy we are apparently aspiring too, has the same.

And in all fairness if you've lived in Jersey you'll also know that whilst the average wage might be a bit higher the reality is that it probably leads to less disposable income after things like rent and mortgages which are ridiculous in Jersey.

Edited by notwell

I think there is some truth in both sides. In some senses Jersey is on its arse and has struggled since the financial crisis. There is decline in tourism and other industries and zero/10 has hit them hard thanks to us. The States are in a bad way. However they never had VAT so didn't have that to lose.

Where they win is that they have a lot more "old money" there that doesn't mind spending it whereas what few HNWIs we have are as tight as the proverbial duck's arse.

• Like 3

Great place for a holiday mind, sunniest place in the British Isles.

2 hours ago, Bombay Bad Boy said:

He'll be right at home on the Island.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-40517276

Yes I thought that too. You could just see him totally wankered in the Courthouse conducting million pound deals before being sick in a fireplace. He'll fit right in. 

Edited by hboy

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Strand put up for sale again and the whole Sports Direct IOM thing never happen. Ashley probably told some consultant to buy it for him when he was in the pub pissed and they took him seriously. It happens.

10 minutes ago, woolley said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Strand put up for sale again and the whole Sports Direct IOM thing never happen. Ashley probably told some consultant to buy it for him when he was in the pub pissed and they took him seriously. It happens.

The DED probably got to him when he was totally hammered and told him how great the IOMs economy was and that he was missing a trick! 

I've not been in the Strand for a looong time - is it just all shut up or are shops still inside? 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tarne said:

I've not been in the Strand for a looong time - is it just all shut up or are shops still inside? 

It will be worth visiting once finished in late August. They have added another floor to the building, which presumably you could gain access via staircases etc from the shops upstairs. There will be 3 good sized shops for the island, which makes sense in some respects, as before the acquisition of the Strand many Manx buyers either bought from stores in the UK or bought online with postage/delivery to the island. I don't think Mike Ashley is an idiot. Unconventional and alternative definitely. I doubt he has bought the Strand for a DED grant, as ultimately Sports Direct are the sort of organisation that would stand up to IOM Government nonsense and pathetic Tynpotwald grandstanding.

• Like 1