Habib ceasing Manx operations

GD4ELI

Why replace industry at all? If we have a reduced population size, we wouldn't need to worry about replacing one with another.

A reduced population means a smaller economy. That would ultimately mean reduced govt income. It's a vicious circle. A reduced population also calls into question the provision of services - for example hospital services require a certain level of demand in order to be feasible. And the shops and businesses which employ people. Again - vicious circle.

Also note the current pressure for significant VAT reduction as a result of the slump in British economy. That could already affect govt income.

You'll find there are more tradesmen than work.

I'm not disputing if you are busy or not. But it is a fact that if a large number of electricians (or any other trade) are chasing half the work then it has an impact.

And, like it or not, the finance sector is key to that.

Next you'll be telling me you don't do any jobs for people involved in the finance sector.:whatever:

Give it a rest ' money man ' the whole of civilisation is not down to the Manx FS. I'm sure many others are utterly bored by your constant justification of the industry you are plainly reliant on. Monkey Boy is dead on, there is plenty of work for the ' local ' tradesmen. The problem is oversupply of same ( Dandara ) etc who came to the Island ( as is the way with building booms ) to service the mass of Office buildings and Apartments that have blighted our Island over the last 30 years. The Comeover building workers are disappearing at a rapid rate now, along with the big contracts. Good luck to all the ' local ' lads in building I am sure things have not been easy of late, but are reasonably okay now. I am aware of the huge new ' industrial ' Office Blocks at The Cooil, these will be occupied , for the time , at the expense of Douglas Centrals expense, as can be witnessed in Athol Street and Circular Road.

What industry and business. Give me examples of how the island can move away from its reliance on the finance sector.

E- gaming ( your comment ) not to my liking, but there you are. As to other Diversity, according to Government ; Industry / manufacturing, Tourism ( ie Culture / History/ Walking) .there are bound to be others. My argument against the FS has always been the ' All our eggs in one basket ) scenario.

What industry and business. Give me examples of how the island can move away from its reliance on the finance sector.

Legalise pot before the uk reap the extra income from tax. Give tax breaks for medical research companies to move here as long as those companies can also do proper research into the benefits or not of all illegal substances. We could do it and be ahead of the UK for once rather than just copying its failed drug laws.

This Is What It's Like To Work For A Marijuana Startup

http://www.fastcompany.com/3062290/this-is-what-its-like-to-work-for-a-marijuana-startup

"A wide variety of pot-themed tech companies now service the licensed medicinal marijuana users of 23 states, and Washington D.C., as well as residents of the four states that have legalized recreational consumption. There is now a marijuana-friendly short-term home rental company called Bud and Breakfast, as well as a number of websites and applications for reviewing strains and dispensaries, including Leafly and WeedMaps. In 2014 the industry was valued at $2.7 billion, but it is expected to grow to an $11 billion industry by 2019."

• Like 1

We are losing people but worryingly all of those I have spoken to who are going tend to be the high earning, self-motivating types that we need to fund government services (and pensions!). We will be left with a higher proportion of low or non-earning people with their hands out for state aid. That isn't sustainable.

• Like 1

At the moment I'm looking to move house. I'm mildly alarmed at the amount of houses that fall into our potential purchasing bracket that are empty. Family homes.

I agree with you Woolley. On the face of it there appears to be professionals leaving (who are in the jobs in the private sector paying above average salary) and being replaced by low end foreign migration workers paying very little tax and or NI. In addition a decent part of their earnings heads off the island.

I too am not sure how long that sort of model can continue to work. Philip mentioned net migration of 500 a year to sustain some sort of long term NI fund. I suspect that we are not acheiving a net migration of 500. And if we are then it is being made up of people contributing very little to the tax and NI system replacing people who were contributing.

Yes. I think we would be shocked if we knew the true extent of empty property (people moved away but not yet sold or relatives having inherited but not yet sold) or partly occupied property (one partner stayed temporarily to sell up while the other goes away to work) or property never occupied (owned by absentees). I know 4 families currently in the situation of one working away prior to all leaving; 2 from banking, 1 from science and 1 from government.

I appreciate that we only know personally those who are going and not those who are coming in (and there are some because I also speak to removals company owners), but it will be interesting to see the census results. Certainly we do not have a 500 yearly inflow. More like the reverse. Paul Craine who did much work on Island demographics identified (I think it was) 1500 families on the UK 2011 census who in answer to the question "Where were you living a year ago?" answered "Isle of Man." He also tracked numbers of families as they went through school year by year and found a declining number of those same families year on year.

I asked Paul what he thought the current population is and he was cagey. All he would say is that he thought from 85,000 at the 2011 census it had continued to grow more slowly than hitherto for 2 or 3 years, maybe up to 87/88,000, but has since gone into reverse. And he found that it is young families who are going, more young families from elsewhere who are not coming as they did in the boom, and young Manx people who are not coming back. Looking at the package on offer and voting with their feet as it were. It covers a variety of factors including available employment, salaries on offer, house prices, financial benefits, cost of living, availability and cost of child care etc. The bulge of old people and those coming up to retirement is becoming more pronounced. It is a problem.

At the moment I'm looking to move house. I'm mildly alarmed at the amount of houses that fall into our potential purchasing bracket that are empty. Family homes.

I would agree as I've seen the same. All highish value property too where a few years ago there might have been 2 £45k a year bank or insurance company workers paying Manx tax who are now living somewhere else desperately trying to shift the empty property they left behind. I have seen many myself in the £300-500k bracket.

Edited by Frankthewank
  • Like 1

I would agree as I've seen the same. All highish value property too where a few years ago there might have been 2 £45k a year bank or insurance company workers paying Manx tax who are now living somewhere else desperately trying to shift the empty property they left behind. I have seen many myself in the £300-500k bracket.

The prices are crackers but people are holding onto them with expectations that are never going to be realised.

I'm not disputing if you are busy or not. But it is a fact that if a large number of electricians (or any other trade) are chasing half the work then it has an impact.

Next you'll be telling me you don't do any jobs for people involved in the finance sector.whatever.gif

Give it a rest ' money man ' the whole of civilisation is not down to the Manx FS. I'm sure many others are utterly bored by your constant justification of the industry you are plainly reliant on. Monkey Boy is dead on, there is plenty of work for the ' local ' tradesmen. The problem is oversupply of same ( Dandara ) etc who came to the Island ( as is the way with building booms ) to service the mass of Office buildings and Apartments that have blighted our Island over the last 30 years. The Comeover building workers are disappearing at a rapid rate now, along with the big contracts. Good luck to all the ' local ' lads in building I am sure things have not been easy of late, but are reasonably okay now. I am aware of the huge new ' industrial ' Office Blocks at The Cooil, these will be occupied , for the time , at the expense of Douglas Centrals expense, as can be witnessed in Athol Street and Circular Road.

It's pointless trying to discuss with you when you are so entrenched in the past.

I don't have to "justify an industry I am plainly reliant on". The finance industry exists all over the world. Employee hundreds of millions of people. In some places it is more important than others. The Isle of Man is one. London, of course, would be another.

You need to accept that this isn't the 1950's. Move on.

E- gaming ( your comment ) not to my liking, but there you are. As to other Diversity, according to Government ; Industry / manufacturing, Tourism ( ie Culture / History/ Walking) .there are bound to be others. My argument against the FS has always been the ' All our eggs in one basket ) scenario.

So you are advocating diversity into eGaming? It's already now our biggest sector so the IOM has done that.

Aside of that you have not given me any examples of how the island can diversify. You mention Industry and Manufacturing - give me examples of how we can create that sort of industry? Especially given that the UK couldn't stop the Far East taking it all.

Tourism - give me examples. How are we, as an economy, going to create wealth and employment from additional tourism? Where is it coming from?

I would say we are doing about as well as Tourism as we can.

The prices are crackers but people are holding onto them with expectations that are never going to be realised.

Prices have softened a bit.

And people are still buying. There's just plenty to look at depending on your requirements.

Next you'll be telling me you don't do any jobs for people involved in the finance sector.:whatever:

It's pointless trying to discuss with you when you are so entrenched in the past.

I don't have to "justify an industry I am plainly reliant on". The finance industry exists all over the world. Employee hundreds of millions of people. In some places it is more important than others. The Isle of Man is one. London, of course, would be another.

You need to accept that this isn't the 1950's. Move on.

It's 2016, and the backside is falling out of the Isle of Man, that's the reason your high earners ( the ones who said they were here because they had fallen in love with the Island ) are leaving. Like long tails they are deserting a sinking ship. I think you may be the one entrenched in the past ie 20 years ago when most of the Island was crawling to the FS , apart from many , like myself warning about relying on one industry. It turns out we were sadly right. I say sadly because it gives me no pleasure whatsoever to see an industry breaking up which will leave many Manx people without a job. Those ' high earners ' of yours will no doubt find equivilant work in that London of yours. It's the Isle of Man and the people who stay , be they local or Comeovers I sympathise with, not the high earners who have merely rode the wave, and now like all deserters have chickened out. We will, with or without yours, survive, we've done it before.

• Like 1

So you are advocating diversity into eGaming? It's already now our biggest sector so the IOM has done that.

Aside of that you have not given me any examples of how the island can diversify. You mention Industry and Manufacturing - give me examples of how we can create that sort of industry? Especially given that the UK couldn't stop the Far East taking it all.

Tourism - give me examples. How are we, as an economy, going to create wealth and employment from additional tourism? Where is it coming from?

I would say we are doing about as well as Tourism as we can.

My message was. e- gaming ( as you have suggested ), and I did say not to my favor . Do read things properly. You talk utter tripe at times , I suggested the other options as options for our Government and Island to encourage, not something I could achive on my own. I thought Governments were there for that purpose. You on the other hand must have ideas, and plainly think you can achieve anything. Why not a try at MHK, TO TOUGH, NOT ENOUGH MONEY, TO MANY CHANCES TO BE PROVED WRONG.