Who will be next Chief Minister

Manx Bean

WI think a commercial board and a political board require the same skills, or similar anyway, no argument there. But the political world is different, the pressures on how decisions are made is different. Also the people who are being talked about as CM who haven't been ministers haven't sat on commercial boards...have they?

I imagine Quayle has probably sat on boards as he runs a few businesses. Cannan sat on Whitley Council for a while and the board of the PSPA or PAC didn't he? I doubt Skelly has much meaningful board level experience despite being on the DED.

Many of the new members ran on a ticket of change being needed and people not feeling any better off etc.....

But there wasn't a deal of focus on solutions.

Tough decisions are needed. I wonder how many of the new members will be willing to explain that now they're in and understand the extent of the issues.....that they are going to have to out their tax and national insurance contributons up.

Because that is likely to be what is needed. And this is alongside cost cutting that will see staff numbers reduced. And unless the holy grails of Education and Health and Social care are included in that they will be pissing in the wind.

Aggressive economic and working population growth is the only other option and it needs to happen alongside the rest.....

Many of the new members ran on a ticket of change being needed and people not feeling any better off etc.....

Tough decisions are needed. I wonder how many of the new members will be willing to explain that now they're in and understand the extent of the issues.....that they are going to have to out their tax and national insurance contributons up.

Because that is likely to be what is needed. And this is alongside cost cutting that will see staff numbers reduced. And unless the holy grails of Education and Health and Social care are included in that they will be pissing in the wind.

Aggressive economic and working population growth is the only other option and it needs to happen alongside the rest.....

Have Education and Health not seen huge cuts already? You could have fooled me.

Have Education and Health not seen huge cuts already? You could have fooled me.

These departments are crying out for the attention of Watterson who has been successful elsewhere in reducing expenditure without a too detrimental effect on moral or efficiency

I'm pretty sure Skelly has board level experience. Wasn't he also a consultant before entering the Keys?

I believe he has also ran businesses in the USA, and has represented the Isle Of Man abroad as DED Minister.

This all clearly makes him the best qualified for the job of leading the country to full Sovereignty.

And remember you did ask for and were granted for the Island an International Identity Document setting you and the UK apart just about as far as you could go without actually declaring UDI...and like mugs you went along with it! You gave them exactly what they wanted and conned yourselves into thinking that you were making progress...

Are you sure we asked?

Yes you asked. As did Jersey and Guernsey. It was felt that too many observers lumped the Islands in with the UK and that the Islands' interests were diverging from the UK. It also fits in with the Vienna Convention for the interpretation of treaties. I suppose to some extent it is largely a cosmetic exercise because if you read it (On IOM govt website/ AG's chambers not sure now)...you will see that for all its words the UK's interests trump all...(And gives them the last word in effect so no change there!)...Go see!