Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Bradzin

registering a car in the UK

I have recently moved from the IOM to England and have brought my car with me.

It is currently registered and taxed on the IOM.

Has anyone done this befor and does anyone know what the procedure is for re-registering in the UK?

Thanks.

I have recently moved from the IOM to England and have brought my car with me.

It is currently registered and taxed on the IOM.

Has anyone done this befor and does anyone know what the procedure is for re-registering in the UK?

Thanks.

Thousands of other's have no doubt.

Obtain an MOT.

Re-register it.

It'll get an age related plate, or its old number back of it came from there.

Buy cheaper tax and fuel, drive it about on better UK roads.

• Like 1

As X-in-Man says, MOT first, then DVLA to import a vehicle into the UK. You will need to send DVLA the IOM logbook which they will send back to the DoI who then mark the vehicle as exported out the IOM.

It's easy with one exception. Make sure it remains Manx road legal until you get the UK registration.

Unlike the IOM, the process cannot be done at the post office and all the docs have to go to Swansea which can take up to two weeks. If there are any problems, they just send the lot back to you and down the snake you slide back to the start for another two week wait. They send everything by 2nd class post.

Without the car being Manx legal, it must be kept off the road (ie parked on private land) until the registration is issued.

If you object to paying road tax to both jurisdictions in the first month like me, your car will be parked on private land for up to two weeks unless you "risk it".

Edit Btw, if it's ever been UK registered in its past (no matter when) you are not liable to the £55 registration fee. The DVLA sometimes forget this rule.

Edited by ballaughbiker
  • Like 1

Hello

I bought a damaged 2017 car imported from IOM, I want to issue a V5 in the UK.

Do I need to repair the car first and then apply or I can issue the V5 without MOT?

If it’s less than 3 years old you shouldn’t need an MOT? But it may depend on insurance write off categorisation?

37 minutes ago, kkdigger said:

Hello

I bought a damaged 2017 car imported from IOM, I want to issue a V5 in the UK.

Do I need to repair the car first and then apply or I can issue the V5 without MOT?

Your best bet would be to ask DVLA. I would've thought if you have a Manx logbook and it doesn't need an MOT (under 3 years old) you would be able to register/export it without an MOT.

Hey guys

Thanks for your comments.

Just to make things clear ...

Car is registered in IOM exported to the UK.

Car is less than 3 Years old.

If I get the duplicate documents for the car from IOM I will be able to get a V5 without MOT ?

2 hours ago, kkdigger said:

If I get the duplicate documents for the car from IOM I will be able to get a V5 without MOT ?

I'm not familiar with the process so can't give you a definite answer but perhaps contact vehicle licencing over here? if you check the Manx reg on https://services.gov.im/vehicles-driving/vehicle-search which information shows up? does it show as 'exported'. 

12 hours ago, kkdigger said:

Hey guys

Thanks for your comments.

Just to make things clear ...

Car is registered in IOM exported to the UK.

Car is less than 3 Years old.

What’s happened to the original V5? Why isn’t it with the car? Has it been lost or has it been surrendered as the damage is so severe it’s been written off and the V5 surrendered..