Manx Radio DJ Autism Comments

jimbeam

I agree with Stu Peters. If you aware that people go to a specific place for quiet enjoying of good quality, why take anyone who might possibly disturb that atmosphere? The parents might enjoy the experience and might want the experience themselves but then we shouldn't always get what we want when we have made decisions. In this case, the decision was to have children.

My daughter could be taken to any restaurant, she was perfectly behaved (until she got to be a teenager by which time she no longer wanted to be seen with me) my sons are a complete nightmare and will not behave - apparently the whole of the Tynwald field heard me asking them to behave nicely on Tynwald day...boys get bored and misbehave, I am learning. It's stressful for the parents too, I am getting to the point where I only take the boys to places they like, fields and rivers, that kind of thing.

I love a noisy restaurant. The louder the better, generally speaking. Probably because I have children and the noise from other tables means that we are less conspicuous.

My recent experience at the Hawthorn led me to leave negative comments about the general tone of the place on the Hawthorn thread. The pair of po-faced twats on the table next to us didn't say a word to each other the entire meal. Ideal customers it would seem.

Wow, I thought MF was a tough crowd until I posted on THAT group.

For the avoidance of doubt I have absolutely nothing against children with any physical or mental challenges, my initial post was about disruptive children in a restaurant and autism only became an issue as the thread went south. I think that the parents of children with any significant issues are heroes and have said that, but the mob is too busy braying to listen.

It would have been easy to delete my post, but that would have been dishonourable as I still feel strongly that parents of disruptive children in public places (shop, supermarket, cafe or wherever) need to control their children or remove them until the drama is resolved. That is all. It's clearly an old-fashioned view not shared by most people today who say things like 'kids will be kids'. I was taught from being a toddler how to behave in public and so were my own children, but maybe nobody cares any more.

• Like 19

How do children learn how to behave in public if they are never in public? How do autistic people learn to cope with public situations if they aren't exposed to public situations.

You're quite right Declan. But if you were taking four children to a public restaurant wouldn't it make sense to tell the manager that two of them were autistic and might be a little difficult? This whole thread on FB started because the person taking four children out for food DIDN'T do that and was offended when the manager commented AFTER the meal that the kids had been badly behaved. I can't think of anyone who wouldn't go the extra yard if they knew the situation, but few people who are mindreaders.

• Like 1

Stu, I think the only difference between us is that I think the problem, most of the time, is parents being uptight and on edge, because they are so scared their kids will misbehave and those close by will disapprove and that they will end up embarrassed.

The only way they are going to learn is by experiencing and being shown how to behave.

• Like 3

I was taught from being a toddler how to behave in public and so were my own children.

Same with me and with my children. I recall a number of occasions when they were very young simply paying the bill and leaving part way through a meal as I did not feel their standard of behaviour was acceptable and did not wish to spoil the meals of other diners.

• Like 4

I agree with Stu. Why would you take a wailing retard to a quiet restaurant where people have paid to eat good food in quiet surroundings?

They're going to be about as popular as a turd in a swimming pool, and presumably you wouldn't let them do that either. Whatever the reason for your child's behavioural problems don't let them spoil things for other people.

I cannot believe that this disgusting comment has been allowed on here. As far as Peters is concerned I'm not the least bit surprised. He is an individual who appears to take glee in upsetting and annoying almost everyone he can. I think it's a disgrace that our National Radio Station allows his bigoted and at times , appaling bile to be inflicted on the Islands residents. God knows what people listening off Island think of this trash. If Manx Radio have not got the guts to sort him out , the Government should. Sadly other Low Life's have come out in support of this awful man , using Manx Forums for their dreadful opinions. Remove this if you have any decency about you.

I agree with Stu. Why would you take a wailing retard to a quiet restaurant where people have paid to eat good food in quiet surroundings?

They're going to be about as popular as a turd in a swimming pool, and presumably you wouldn't let them do that either. Whatever the reason for your child's behavioural problems don't let them spoil things for other people.

I cannot believe that this disgusting comment has been allowed on here. As far as Peters is concerned I'm not the least bit surprised. He is an individual who appears to take glee in upsetting and annoying almost everyone he can. I think it's a disgrace that our National Radio Station allows his bigoted and at times , appaling bile to be inflicted on the Islands residents. God knows what people listening off Island think of this trash. If Manx Radio have not got the guts to sort him out , the Government should. Sadly other Low Life's have come out in support of this awful man , using Manx Forums for their dreadful opinions. Remove this if you have any decency about you.

Time for another flounce Manxie44

• Like 2