Manx Radio DJ Autism Comments

jimbeam

One thing this whole incident has illustrated is that anonymity is the way to go on the internet. Worse comments have been made on here on many topics by people protected by the cloak of anonymity, confident that no harm will come their way.

That's rubbish to be honest. There are quite a few elected officials who post on here and many government employees and long may they continue to do so. They are characters they have created and nothing is personal; as even an insult levied at a poster is directed at a character or an avatar. Not a real person.

I'm sorry but I find that argument rather naïve.

Behind every avatar is a real person, surely we're not so far removed from reality not to acknowledge that?

We're not all characters in a virtual game quite yet, thank goodness.

You're the naive one I'm afraid if you think there is much about real life on here. The problem with Facebook is people's egos and pride when they are shown up for being stupid and so they just dig and dig and make themselves look even more stupid trying to get out of the situation they have created (a la Stu Peters), or the that 'they' can't be seen to be saying something because they're an MHK or a government worker or whatever and then get kicked for it. On here who cares as an avatar is clearly not you and might not always represent you or your views. Its an alter ego in most cases I would guess. If you don't get that I think you don't really get what MF is about. It's pure make believe. I actually think the people who use their own names on here spoil it as they're the ones who get shot down more than most because people know more about what's behind the persona than anyone else. I think that ruins one of the good things about MF. It s quite honest and people shouldn't hold back on what they think just because it might offend another alter ego of another person.

When you've been here a little longer, you may change your mind about a few things. I feel somewhat differently about MFs than I did 12 years ago. But as you admit, your view on who is revealing their genuine persona (whether behind avatars or openly named) and who is not, is, to a degree, guesswork, as it is with all of us. And just because someone has their name on their posts, doesn't necessarily guarantee honesty of opinion does it?

• Like 2

You're not getting what I'm saying. It doesn't matter how long you've been on here to see MF for what it is. I certainly think the honesty on here is better than Facebook as people are using alter egos. If people get upset at something that's been said that's just them taking things a little bit too seriously as the criticism is being levied at their alter ego; not at them as a person. I can't abide Facebook as its full of arseholes proving that they are indeed arseholes on a daily basis. In fact I've avoided certain people specifically because of some of the things I've read they have posted on Facebook because that's made me arrive at the conclusion that someone I normally quite like is, in fact, a secret arsehole. I'd much rather not have known that about them and maybe accidentally found out down the pub in 15 years time that they're a bit of an arsehole instead (but maybe then I could just write their comments off as being a bit pissed and still like them?). But some of the rubbish people post on Facebook should bounce back on them. If it makes you look like an arsehole, then maybe you should understand that by using Facebook you're advertising to all your friends, and your boss, and everyone else that you're an arsehole?

Edited by Frankthewank

The way in which Stu Peters has been villified is shameful. He has a right to express his opinion. We are a democratic society. In fact, he was commenting about disruptive behaviour in general. Incidentally, an evening at the Gaiety was pretty much ruined some years ago by a group of special needs adults on the back row of the stalls who were unable to sit quietly. One male was actuallly whooping out loud at key moments in the play. I would not have dared complain at the time for fear of seeming heartless - and frankly because I felt nothing but compassion for that individual. But there are times when the rights of an individual should not ride roughshod over the rights of the majority. I am so upset on Stu's behalf. No wonder people (like me) dare not reveal their identities. The mob has whipped itself into a frenzy. This is political correctness at its very worst and a clear attempt to stifle free expression. Dangerous.

• Like 2

Well, that's a relief, isn't it? The FB vitupery didn't result in someone losing their job despite their best endeavours. A very sad episode and one that has undermined my normal position and that is that most people are decent really.

Aah well, you live and learn.

• Like 7

.Incidentally, an evening at the Gaiety was pretty much ruined some years ago by a group of special needs adults on the back row of the stalls who were unable to sit quietly. One male was actuallly whooping out loud at key moments in the play.

What right do you believe you have to impose your standards or desires on anyone else? Do you believe you have a right to peace in every social situation you go to? Best bang them all up in an institution then so they don't upset your environment with their noise. They might have been having a fantastic night out themselves. Maybe the first night out they'd been allowed to have all year? Maybe they couldn't understand why everyone else was sitting there so boring when they were so excited? Honestly those comments sound completely heartless. Maybe the Gaiety should advertise disabled free nights just so you can be guaranteed the silent dignified night out that you feel you deserve?

98% of the rest of whole world piss me off; at least if I see someone with special needs I know they can't help being disruptive and don't take it personally. Not like all the other annoying twats out there and their petty personal vanities and false airs and graces.

Edited by Frankthewank
  • Like 3

I tend to agree Frank. What is a cultural norm in current white middle class anglo saxon circles is fairly recent. i've been to a couple of performances in last twelve months where the audience were predominantly young, urban, hip and multi/ethnic/cultural. quiet was not expected and the whoops, hollers and whistles made the performances. next week I'm off to an arts festival, an opera, ballet and a musical, open air and the audience will be from babes in arms and pushchairs to grandparents, via teenagers and every age. They'll talk, get up, wander, go to the bar or food outlets, return. but they are there and enjoying it. Enjoyment doesn't have to be poe faced, straight backed, silence.

• Like 3

Funny, but SP has not been on Talking Heads for a few day's coincidence or outcome ?

He's on vacation I belive. Totally coincidental and not outcome at all

He was always booked to be off on holiday right now.

But I'm sure the overly touchy lynch mob think differently.

• Like 2

You're the naive one I'm afraid if you think there is much about real life on here. The problem with Facebook is people's egos and pride when they are shown up for being stupid and so they just dig and dig and make themselves look even more stupid trying to get out of the situation they have created (a la Stu Peters), or the that 'they' can't be seen to be saying something because they're an MHK or a government worker or whatever and then get kicked for it. On here who cares as an avatar is clearly not you and might not always represent you or your views. Its an alter ego in most cases I would guess. If you don't get that I think you don't really get what MF is about. It's pure make believe. I actually think the people who use their own names on here spoil it as they're the ones who get shot down more than most because people know more about what's behind the persona than anyone else. I think that ruins one of the good things about MF. It s quite honest and people shouldn't hold back on what they think just because it might offend another alter ego of another person.

Wow, you've been here just over a month and you're an expert on MF already!

Edited by Mission
  • Like 1

What right do you believe you have to impose YOUR standards or desires on anyone else? Do you believe YOU have a right to peace in every social situation you go to? Best bang them all up in an institution then so they don't upset your environment with their noise. They might have been having a fantastic night out themselves. Maybe the first night out they'd been allowed to have all year? Maybe they couldn't understand why everyone else was sitting there so boring when they were so excited? Honestly those comments sound completely heartless. Maybe the Gaiety should advertise disabled free nights just so you can be guaranteed the silent dignified night out that you feel you deserve?

I have to say that's not a bad attempt to push the responsibility down to an individual level which is then, of course, an untenable position. But it's not at an individual level now is it? If a whole restaurants clientele or an audience at a play or whatever are MOSTLY getting thoroughly pissed off at the behaviour of a few individuals then they have every right to get the management to either remove the disruptive element or give them their money back with effusive apologies for an evening ruined.

If I were Stu I would put a sign up in my cafe reading something like "Well behaved children are most welcome. Disruptive children will be asked to leave along with their parents or guardian or whatever. Simply because we have a duty to try and ensure that the majority of our customers find visiting our establishment is a pleasurable experience and will wish to return." Or similar. Basically leaving no existential issues that might bother one. After all, it's a business, not a therapeutic experience FFS....