I HAVE HAD A LETTER

I have had a letter from Ross Stephens, Director of Social Security informing me that from 1st September 2016 free T.V. licences will no longer be available unless the person is receiving Income Support. If I live alone and my weekly income after paying housing costs, rent etc. is less than £167.65 or if I live with my wife and our combined income is less, after housing costs is £258.35 I may be entitled to Income support. Housing costs includes rent , rates, mortgage interest and property insurance. I read this with interest and reckon that most oap's living in rented accommodation with just a government pension would be entitled to income support., so they would get their T.V. Licence's paid also I would not be surprised that some struggling in their own accommodation living purely on a government pension would also be entitled. So if a good chunk of over 75's are going to get their licences paid for them how are we saving £600,000.? this is the sum that is being paid now. It is this dishonesty regarding policy that sickens me with the present Government. Leaving out whether or whether not over 75's should be given free licences to lie about the amount saved to justify themselves sums up everything this government has been about. Disgusting, I hope not one of these toads get back in.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes. You can take £145 worth of free TV licence off an over 75 who is just above the income support level. No problem. But the mere mention of tinkering with the "grand a week plus" pension of some tr

The Isle of Man would do well to take note of what is happening in debt-ridden Illinois where the Supreme State Court has ruled that public sector pensions should take priority over every other spendi

We could always reduce some of the more obscene CS pensions to balance any deficit.

Well. Could it be that there are many pensioners who fall below that income level but are not currently claiming income support? Therefore, on the numbers available to them, the government thinks it will save £600k. They might get a shock. The letter you received may prompt many to claim income support for the first time in addition to the free TV licence. The saving could turn into a cost.

• Like 3

The numbers are clearly based on about 4000 over 75's, who, on the face of it, wouldn't qualify for income support.

It shouldn't be difficult to work out. The information is already available to them.

Hmmmm. Our esteemed government have lots of information on many subjects. Experience shows that using it to work things out is not their strong point.

• Like 4

I'm all for it, if they've reached their age and they can't afford a pittance for a TV license, well I think it's for the grave for them.

I hope the scumbags up in the jurby hilton are going to have to pay to watch tv as well. Why should our pensioners be treated worse than than prisoners who get everything handed to them on a plate.

They aren't going to have to pay, I checked.

I have had a letter from Ross Stephens, Director of Social Security informing me that from 1st September 2016 free T.V. licences will no longer be available unless the person is receiving Income Support. If I live alone and my weekly income after paying housing costs, rent etc. is less than £167.65 or if I live with my wife and our combined income is less, after housing costs is £258.35 I may be entitled to Income support. Housing costs includes rent , rates, mortgage interest and property insurance. I read this with interest and reckon that most oap's living in rented accommodation with just a government pension would be entitled to income support., so they would get their T.V. Licence's paid also I would not be surprised that some struggling in their own accommodation living purely on a government pension would also be entitled. So if a good chunk of over 75's are going to get their licences paid for them how are we saving £600,000.? this is the sum that is being paid now. It is this dishonesty regarding policy that sickens me with the present Government. Leaving out whether or whether not over 75's should be given free licences to lie about the amount saved to justify themselves sums up everything this government has been about. Disgusting, I hope not one of these toads get back in.

Hissingsid,

You and I don’t agree on many things, but re-instating the TV licence for over 75’s needs to happen.

Listening to Eddie Teare on Manx Radio, he kindly has acknowledged a mistake and is now looking towards the new house to change things back.

Eddie also mentioned that potential MHK's must have a solution....................

OK, the Government is about to make £10 million from the sale of their stake in Pinewood. Around £2.4 million should cover the costs until 2020 at which time the fee should be paid for thereafter by the BBC.

If elected, I will be fully supporting the Manx Labour Party on this item.

• Like 2

It must be some consolation that living with your wife appears to be optional.

• Like 3

I hope the scumbags up in the jurby hilton are going to have to pay to watch tv as well. Why should our pensioners be treated worse than than prisoners who get everything handed to them on a plate.

Many of the scumbags,your description, shouldn't be in Jurby costing the taxpayer anything. A good number would have been more suitably dealt with by means of community service sentencing......Silly sentencing is yet another area where Govt are pissing millions away without much regard for the people meeting the cost.

• Like 4

Many of the scumbags,your description, shouldn't be in Jurby costing the taxpayer anything. A good number would have been more suitably dealt with by means of community service sentencing......Silly sentencing is yet another area where Govt are pissing millions away without much regard for the people meeting the cost.

Yes, but many ignore community service orders which then costs us a fortune again in revisiting. It isn't zero cost for community service.

There are very few people up at the Jurby Hilton who shouldn't be there.

• Like 1

Hissingsid,

You and I don’t agree on many things, but re-instating the TV licence for over 75’s needs to happen.

Listening to Eddie Teare on Manx Radio, he kindly has acknowledged a mistake and is now looking towards the new house to change things back.

Eddie also mentioned that potential MHK's must have a solution....................

OK, the Government is about to make £10 million from the sale of their stake in Pinewood. Around £2.4 million should cover the costs until 2020 at which time the fee should be paid for thereafter by the BBC.

If elected, I will be fully supporting the Manx Labour Party on this item.

You are as bad as Malarkey is fawning around the Pinewood (complete waste of time) looking for Votes.thumbsup.gif

I don't see the issue with what is being proposed at the moment by Government. It may well be a historic perception that people over the age of 75 have absolutely no money. And i'm sure in some cases that is true, especially in the UK. We have a disproportionately high number of old people on the island and the vast majority don't need income support.

However, it's been covered in the proposal in terms of those who would be entitled to income support. And the licence is about £3 a week.

As for leading in to 2020, all that will actually happen is that the standard cost of a licence will go up by about 20% to absorb the cost that is being transferred from UK Government to the BBC. So, essentially, under 75's will be subsidising over 75's.

Well. Could it be that there are many pensioners who fall below that income level but are not currently claiming income support? Therefore, on the numbers available to them, the government thinks it will save £600k. They might get a shock. The letter you received may prompt many to claim income support for the first time in addition to the free TV licence. The saving could turn into a cost.

A perceptive post my friend. I know of 2 widowed (female) neighbours who were prompted to apply exactly as you describe and both have had confirmation that they are eligible, having never received that benefit before. In at least one of those cases back-payment of benefit is also due. Less than an hour ago an acquaintance told me that eligibility on the part of her mother had also just been confirmed in exactly the same circumstances!

Yes, but many ignore community service orders which then costs us a fortune again in revisiting. It isn't zero cost for community service.

There are very few people up at the Jurby Hilton who shouldn't be there.

I'd have you jailed indefinitely.....worth every penny.

• Like 1