Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Lxxx

Raw milk

But manx cows don't have TB?

Oh yes they do

& it's a mystery how they achieve it without there being any badgers

That said, the island may have been declared TB free of late

I grew up drinking raw milk. Proof if proof needed that it is good for body, mind and soul. The trouble with pasteurized milk is the billions of now dead bacteria setting up false positive reactions in our immune systems, a good part of the asthma/auto immune allergy epidemic our children and we are living through

One of my littlebees has hearing problems caused by years of 'being a snotty kid', all thanks to milk. On a positive note, he has great teeth :)

• Like 1

Pasteurisation was originally promoted to stop the spread of TB from cattle to humans (which was a very serious problem in Victorian times), but better treatment of human TB from the 50s on have made that less important. Worries about raw milk tend to be concerned with other bacterial infections such as listeria.

The Island tries to maintain TB-free status in its cattle herds and has done for some time. Reinfection does occur though through imported cattle. Obviously the farmers would like to blame badgers (because nothing any farmer ever does can be wrong and must be the responsibility of someone else to pay for), but the complete lack of badgers makes this hard. I suppose they could always try to pin it on the wallabies.

In fact there's very little evidence that badgers are responsible for the spread of Bovine TB, it's more likely that they catch it from cows than the opposite. The badger culls in England seem more due to a belief among farmers that killing things always makes it better. I suppose we should just be grateful they're not still burning virgins in wickermen to improve crop yields.

• Like 2

TB TV TJ!

Brings back childhood memories of extremely fresh raw milk (still warm) on cornflakes at my grandparents farm. Eurgh!

Can badgers swim?

Roger?

As ever google is there to help you. (That is one seriously mental Notes & Queries thread)

Can cows swim?

It is traditional in response to this question for someone to start rambling on about how they can remember how old so-and-so used to swim his cows over to the Calf every summer. So I won't.

• Like 2

TB TV TJ!

Brings back childhood memories of extremely fresh raw milk (still warm) on cornflakes at my grandparents farm. Eurgh!

Did you have to pick bits of poo out?

Edited by Mr. Sausages