The Policy Thing - A Plea For Reason

Donald Trumps

I'm sorry but it's just not good enough

Just how are voters supposed to get excited about the general election & obtain an idea of the potential government coming when - less that 2 weeks before the election - candidates haven't even published their manifestos?

There has to be a different way, especially as Lisvane has stated the electorate must be involved in deliberation on policy issues

Myself, I favour a small policy unit attached to the cabinet office to assess voter opinion on policy issues and make recommendations for the 'programme for government'

Other ideas anyone?

I feel no more excited with anyone who has published a manifesto. I've read a load of them covering all island and every single one of them is shit. There is loads of stuff about what prospectives feel and some stuff about things that need to be thought about and things that need to be looked at, but nothing concrete about anything approaching an actual policy. Just a load of absolute bollocks. Quite depressing really, I don't think I'm even going to bother voting this time.

• Like 1

In fact, to me, it seems like the perceived parlous state of the island's position after years of supposed neglect is just being used by a fresh collection of no hopers to try and get on the train, even if there isn't much gravy left on it.

• Like 5

I am personally appalled by the lack of manifestos and policies available. Unless you have had any contact with the candidates you may as well select two at random.

In fact, you may be better off aligning the role of MHK to the jury service list and we all have a go. I doubt we'd be any bloody worse off!!!

• Like 1

I feel no more excited with anyone who has published a manifesto. I've read a load of them covering all island and every single one of them is shit.

It would be easy to dismiss that remark as hyperbole. To do so would be wrong. I too have read a good number of the manifestos from most constituencies. They are all shit.

I'm sorry but it's just not good enough

Just how are voters supposed to get excited about the general election & obtain an idea of the potential government coming when - less that 2 weeks before the election - candidates haven't even published their manifestos?

There has to be a different way, especially as Lisvane has stated the electorate must be involved in deliberation on policy issues

Myself, I favour a small policy unit attached to the cabinet office to assess voter opinion on policy issues and make recommendations for the 'programme for government'

Other ideas anyone?

They're all a bunch of talentless useless cunts. Nothing out of the expected has happened.

Political parties, groupings, platforms, coalitions. Only way.

I don't think we have the necessary scale to muster sufficient expertise and enthusiasm behind political parties. I believe this is the reason for the failure and lack of interest in the nascent parties that we have seen. They never get the necessary traction.