Welcome Centre not welcoming

A friend who works in retail (M&S) has told me on several occasions of customers who treat her about the same as they would dog shit on their shoes.

What, they take her outside and wipe her on the kerb whilst gagging before giving up and dumping her in a bin? Bit harsh.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They know the risks.

I don't recall ever seeing you in there

Didn't the tourist information centre used to be next to the Sefton? I'm thinking late 80s early 90s.

Outside of the TT there is no tourist economy here. Who are these hordes of trippers who need to be welcomed at 11pm at night? I used to work in the Tourist Office, years ago, and we used to open specially for the late ferry, but no fucker ever came in. Like Roger Mexico said, the visitors were eager to get to their digs and get their shoes off. It was just a waste of an evening for us, and poor value for a load of government cash.

Besides, most people have no need of tourist information centres these days. They can access the information they need on their phones. For those who don't have phones or need some special kind of assistance, they can visit during office hours.

• Like 1

They don't do that much welcoming on the grounds that even when they are in there some of them are spectacularly rude to deal with.

Never had a problem with the staff in there myself, but there again I don't treat them like lowlife.

A friend who works in retail (M&S) has told me on several occasions of customers who treat her about the same as they would dog shit on their shoes.

They don't do that much welcoming on the grounds that even when they are in there some of them are spectacularly rude to deal with.

Never had a problem with the staff in there myself, but there again I don't treat them like lowlife.

As do the M&S management! Been there done that!

Outside of the TT there is no tourist economy here. Who are these hordes of trippers who need to be welcomed at 11pm at night? I used to work in the Tourist Office, years ago, and we used to open specially for the late ferry, but no fucker ever came in. Like Roger Mexico said, the visitors were eager to get to their digs and get their shoes off. It was just a waste of an evening for us, and poor value for a load of government cash.

Besides, most people have no need of tourist information centres these days. They can access the information they need on their phones. For those who don't have phones or need some special kind of assistance, they can visit during office hours.

Good points but the TT is probably about a third of the tourism intake. To say there's no tourist economy outside of the TT is a bit of an exaggeration.

• Like 2

Outside of the TT there is no tourist economy here.

The Lake district across the way gets over 17 Million visitors per year, who go for a variety of reasons,scenery, hill walking, watersports, tat shops. A tiny proportion of that number would have a significant impact on our economy, we have all the raw materials (with the exception of lakes but we do have a few under used resevoirs). All we need is a Government who gives a flying fuck and an alternative to Escobar Seaways.

• Like 2

Good points but the TT is probably about a third of the tourism intake. To say there's no tourist economy outside of the TT is a bit of an exaggeration.

Is that "third" based on any actual evidence or purely your own personal opinion. I've never seen a detailed breakdown of tourist visitors.

Actual evidence, though a third is being quite liberal. It's less than that.

Interesting, tourist information has always seemed difficult to get and disseminate for the IoM. I'd be interested in that evidence, what and where is your source?

https://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/passenger-survey/

I wonder how much 'welcoming' the Welcome Centre actually needs to do. Presumably the first thing you want to do when you get off the boat isn't to start collecting leaflets or buying souvenirs - especially if you are arriving in the evening. All you want to do is get to where you are staying, unpack and find something to eat. And much of the information that people might have needed in the past, they can look up in advance or on their phones/tablets/whatever. It may be that even if the place was open with longer hours, they wouldn't get much custom.

If Homarus was in charge there would likely be a bold sign worded 'Be gone with ya' biggrin.png

Edited by Lisenchuk

Outside of the TT there is no tourist economy here.

The Lake district across the way gets over 17 Million visitors per year, who go for a variety of reasons,scenery, hill walking, watersports, tat shops. A tiny proportion of that number would have a significant impact on our economy, we have all the raw materials (with the exception of lakes but we do have a few under used resevoirs). All we need is a Government who gives a flying fuck and an alternative to Escobar Seaways.

I used to laugh at his posts like this one, but he's starting to convince me - a bit. At least it would be very interesting to see what our visitor economy would be like with cheaper access and more and better hotels. I know many's the time I walk the Manx hills thinking how wonderful it is that I can go for hours and not see a soul, whereas on many of the wide, worn out tracks of the popular parts of Cumberland I'd be following a crowd.

• Like 1

Actual evidence, though a third is being quite liberal. It's less than that.

Interesting, tourist information has always seemed difficult to get and disseminate for the IoM. I'd be interested in that evidence, what and where is your source?

https://www.gov.im/categories/travel-traffic-and-motoring/passenger-survey/

Thanks, do the full reports give breakdowns to assess TT specify? The key summary doesn't and I don't fancy downloading and reading the detailed reports on my phone.