Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
angelo

Coastal Paths

Why is the DOI closing coastal paths when many visitors come specifically to walk them ? Why are Ramsey, Peel, Castletown all going to be closed for repair at the same time ?

DOI were in Jurby couple days ago saying they were putting closed notices on the paths. Dunno which, where.

orts & Active | Isle of Man

• signpostwalkingfestival201.jpg
  • walkingfest2015_rhside.jpg
share.jpg
Isle of Man Walking Festival

The Isle of Man is a walking mecca with an everchanging landscape of moors, hills, glens, forests and beaches. Explore the Island and walk in the footsteps of the Island’s Viking and Celtic ancestors across some of the most stunning countryside in the British Isles. The next Isle of Man Walking Festival will take place in 2017.

Overview

The annual walking festival will next take place in 2017. Details about the 2017 Festival will be published here in mid-2016. .

Walking packages and costs

A range of walking packages are available ahead of the event which can be booked through IOM Event Services or VisitIOM.co.uk.

You can also arrange your own travel and accommodation and simply join in the festival for as much or as little as you would like! Each walk can be paid for individually and pre-booking is required.

Locations

The walks start and finish all around the Island. There are also targeted routes for different sections of the coast and countryside and specific attractions. All walks start and finish using public transport – either buses or the Islands’ railways.

Getting here

The Island can easily be reached by sea (Heysham and Liverpool) or air (Belfast, Birmingham, Bristol, Dublin, Glasgow, Gloucester, Liverpool, London (City, Gatwick and Stanstead), Manchester and Newcastle). Costs and timetables vary; please visit the Travel Page for more information.

"Details about the 2017 Festival will be published here in mid-2016."

Ha, don't tell me .... chris.gif

Why is the DOI closing coastal paths when many visitors come specifically to walk them ? Why are Ramsey, Peel, Castletown all going to be closed for repair at the same time ?

maybe the paths are damaged and dangerous?

And what about this path at Meary Voar - blocked by the landowner for years because he was presumably not happy about people walking too close to the ponds he built (which had no planning permission) close to the public footpath and is now to be directed nearby the company's enlarged quarry that it seems had no permission either judging from the article and what was withdrawn on the government records.

http://positiveactiongroup.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=559:two-tier-planning-system-rich-pickings-for-some-&catid=47:tynwald&Itemid=87

Apparently, old hedging was removed and has been replaced by wooden fences so that's a loss to natural habitats too.

I seems farcical that someone can obstruct a right of way and yet make massive changes to the landscape and use of land but not get in bother for it by making that retrospective planning applications.

Edited by La_Dolce_Vita

It might all fall under the general easing of planning restrictions announced a couple of years ago with the wealthy in mind.

Re. the general closures, perhaps DOI are going to do some maintenance and cutting back to make the paths passable?

The coastal path along the cliff top in front of the Majestic development scares the hell out of me. Many house owners have had no respect for it, encroaching with planting and overgrown shrubs. In places the path barely exists, and one has to pick one's way along steep grassy shelves with big drops below. It really could do with some clearance and widening.

I don't know about the closures angelo refers to, I wouldn't mind seeing the sources for his information. Presumably, Autumn is a good time for maintenance as pressure of use will be lower and the weather still reasonable.

I'd be interested to see the source of his info too. I have walked virtually all of it down south recently and it was fine.

The coastal path along the cliff top in front of the Majestic development scares the hell out of me. Many house owners have had no respect for it, encroaching with planting and overgrown shrubs. In places the path barely exists, and one has to pick one's way along steep grassy shelves with big drops below. It really could do with some clearance and widening.

I don't know about the closures angelo refers to, I wouldn't mind seeing the sources for his information. Presumably, Autumn is a good time for maintenance as pressure of use will be lower and the weather still reasonable.

Completely agree. Tried walking that path a few months ago and ended up abandoning it.

another path which needs attention is the Nunnery path behind the MEA cooling tower where it got badly washed away in the floods and has big ruts etc, further on it is well overgrown

The odd house owner maintains the path but I agree many abdicate their responsibilities.

Edit to add :- I cannot understand why owners are not compelled to maintain footpaths that cross their land.

Edited by paswt