EU apparently threatens economic sanctions against IOM and CI?

Barrie Stevens

This is why we need to ensure we do not become the sacrificial lambs of Brexit.

How do we do that, Albert? We are minnows with no voice. And with our record and against the City do you think that Westminster would hesitate to offer us up for a bit of blood-letting?

• Like 1

Independence wouldn't work, we can't fund ourselves without smuggling/brigandry/VAT robbing. And with the current list of candidates up for election, do you think any of them could govern an independent country? I think our only means of protection is to offer to become the next UK county? If they'd have us? Writing on the wall, I reckon if the OP has real substance...

• Like 1

I'm sorry I'll read that again! Again!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/tax-havens

Hope this works..

This was obviously going to be a risk from day one after Brexit.

How so? Hasn't OECD given IOM (don't know about the others) a clean bill of health?

The EU is a spent force. It is it's own worst enemy. Imagine creating a United States of Europe where there are 24 different languages where they are all "official and working", no one single language Can you also imagine (in Junkers dreams at least) an EU army with 24 different linguistic interpretations of military action? It's all totally unworkable.

If EU doesn't back down on it's treatment with Ireland (sovereignty over taxation) and Apple then I can see in the not too distant future Eire having the same referendum as UK had.

EUSSR will go the same way as USSR.

• Like 5

Hope this works..

How so? Hasn't OECD given IOM (don't know about the others) a clean bill of health?

The EU is a spent force. It is it's own worst enemy. Imagine creating a United States of Europe where there are 24 different languages where they are all "official and working", no one single language Can you also imagine (in Junkers dreams at least) an EU army with 24 different linguistic interpretations of military action? It's all totally unworkable.

If EU doesn't back down on it's treatment with Ireland (sovereignty over taxation) and Apple then I can see in the not too distant future Eire having the same referendum as UK had.

Is there any factual relevance to anything you said above? It's purely your opinion which largely wrong. The EU can largely legislate and act how it likes and once the UK and it's dependent territories are outside of the EU it can theoretically bring in any form of sanction or trade restriction against them if it feels the territories post an economic threat to its tax system. Did anyone seriously expect this sort of thing not to be discussed post Brexit?

The EU is a spent force. I am not saying that it won't lash out in its death throes, but the existential threats that confront it would potentially be overwhelming for a strong well structured union, let alone a rag bag of diverse self-interested nations held together by a sclerotic, corrupt bureaucracy.

• Like 5

Hope this works..

Is there any factual relevance to anything you said above? It's purely your opinion which largely wrong. The EU can largely legislate and act how it likes and once the UK and it's dependent territories are outside of the EU it can theoretically bring in any form of sanction or trade restriction against them if it feels the territories post an economic threat to its tax system. Did anyone seriously expect this sort of thing not to be discussed post Brexit?

Tax sovereignty is at the heart of this. You don't need to be a genius to work that out. Once the EU starts to legislate above member states without agreement of all those states then their efforts to 'rein' in low or no tax jurisdictions will come to nothing.

If IOM were so bad (even with supposed UK support) what is stopping them from imposing sanctions now?? Why not?

They could in fact impose sanctions on USA as some states are low tax states. And the number of states offering zero tax is growing.

• Like 2

"No member states, however, will feature on the list, despite countries such as Ireland, Luxembourg and the Netherlands being well known for aggressive tax structures."

Ho, ho, ho!! Don't do as I do, do as I say.

That article is hilarious.

So the EU are quite happy with member states doing whatever they like eh?

It's actually a veiled threat to the UK as much as anything else because post Brexit they become just another country to the EU with an ability to do WTF they like.

The EU should be careful. Otherwise they might end up with middle east tax free locations imposing sanctions on them for say................ oil.

No one cares about the EU.

• Like 3