EU apparently threatens economic sanctions against IOM and CI?

Barrie Stevens

"No member states, however, will feature on the list, despite countries such as Ireland, Luxembourg and the Netherlands being well known for aggressive tax structures."

Ho, ho, ho!! Don't do as I do, do as I say.

That article is hilarious.

Of course it is. It's in the Guardian.

• Like 5

"No member states, however, will feature on the list, despite countries such as Ireland, Luxembourg and the Netherlands being well known for aggressive tax structures."

Ho, ho, ho!! Don't do as I do, do as I say.

That article is hilarious.

So the EU are quite happy with member states doing whatever they like eh?

It's actually a veiled threat to the UK as much as anything else because post Brexit they become just another country to the EU with an ability to do WTF they like.

The EU should be careful. Otherwise they might end up with middle east tax free locations imposing sanctions on them for say................ oil.

No one cares about the EU.

"No one cares about the EU"...... except the Guardianistas obviously!

You'd cry if it wasn't so funny.

Edited by Andy Onchan
  • Like 4

I don't think the EU would be stupid enough to impose sanctions against any country with assets or commodities such as oil that the EU needs. Territories that don't have anything the EU "need" but who rely on the EU bloc for much of their business might be a different matter though?

I don't think the EU would be stupid enough to impose sanctions against any country with assets or commodities such as oil that the EU needs. Territories that don't have anything the EU "need" but who rely on the EU bloc for much of their business might be a different matter though?

they did it to Russia, but it backfired when they sold the oil to china instead

the eu is on borrowed time, in 12 months time when germany and spain walkaway it will be fucked

• Like 1

Incidentally, I also reckon that apart from getting our own ducks in a row, this is one more reason for playing the long game on triggering Article 50. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that massive ructions could take place within the EU over the next 12 months, and there could be a lot more people looking to dump it and do a trade only deal. See? We saved Europe yet again.

• Like 5

Full sovereignty is the only solution.

We don't need those idiots across the water, and smaller countries than Mannin have full independence.

Careful now, you'll get Woolley's imperialist heckles up thumbsup.gif .

I've never understood why the suggestion that we base taxation on what it costs to provide public services always seems to be treated as a ridiculous idea. Greed is a wonderful thing!

Nah. I don't rise to the lunatic fringe anymore. I know that most Manxies are proud to be British. Why not try a referendum and see how high it flies? 15% maybe? On a good day...................

We should indeed base taxation on what it costs to provide public services. But not necessarily on what the public services say it costs to provide public services.

Edited by woolley
  • Like 3

Nah. I don't rise to the lunatic fringe anymore. I know that most Manxies are proud to be British. Why not try a referendum and see how high it flies? 15% maybe? On a good day...................

We should indeed base taxation on what it costs to provide public services. But not necessarily on what the public services say it costs to provide public services.

You're not turning into Notwell are you? Making stuff up and writing off anyone who disagrees as a lunatic.

Agreed on the public services.

• Like 1

If they disagree with me they usually are lunatics. Or liberals which amounts to the same thing.

So what percentage do you think in a referendum then, Monkey? And you can double the number you first think of because I appreciate that half the population are those bastard comeovers.

• Like 1

Full sovereignty is the only solution.

We don't need those idiots across the water, and smaller countries than Mannin have full independence.

Careful now, you'll get Woolley's imperialist heckles up :thumbsup: .

I've never understood why the suggestion that we base taxation on what it costs to provide public services always seems to be treated as a ridiculous idea. Greed is a wonderful thing!

In concept I would agree with that. But here we have a public sector that earns, on average, more than the private sector so you need some arbitrage when it comes to bringing in discipline on pay and rewards otherwise taxes keep on going up to cover unsustainable demands by the public sector. That seems to be sort of where we are currently.

• Like 1

If they disagree with me they usually are lunatics. Or liberals which amounts to the same thing.

So what percentage do you think in a referendum then, Monkey? And you can double the number you first think of because I appreciate that half the population are those bastard comeovers.

Monkey Boy is out of his depth. Don't bother.

• Like 1