EU apparently threatens economic sanctions against IOM and CI?

No, the english masquerading as Manx are proud to be british.

The true Manx want full sovereignty and Manx Citizenship by the next Elections.

I am properly Manx. I am proud to be British. I enjoy being able to travel the world as part of that. I like having that security that if it all goes to pot when I'm away, I can go to the British Embassy to get help. I like having a currency that is relatively stable.

So do not presume to speak for 'the True Manx'.

• Like 1
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Incidentally, I also reckon that apart from getting our own ducks in a row, this is one more reason for playing the long game on triggering Article 50. It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that m

How so? Hasn't OECD given IOM (don't know about the others) a clean bill of health?   The EU is a spent force. It is it's own worst enemy. Imagine creating a United States of Europe where there are

Of course it is. It's in the Guardian.

Comment from The Times (today)

The gathering of European leaders in Bratislava yesterday had the air of a surgical ward with 27 doctors nervously feeling the pulse and testing the reflexes of a fast-failing and feverish patient. The image is not entirely fanciful; Brexit after all will be tantamount to an amputation of one of the key limbs of the EU.

Amid this angst, the continents rulers are looking to Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, to calm the mood and restore balance. She is under strain at home, however, facing another likely setback in Berlin city-state elections tomorrow. Mrs Merkel has rarely looked weaker. And she will have to do more than stabilise the condition of the sick union. Donald Tusk, president of the European Council, spelt out the scope of the crisis: the weak-kneed response to migration, following on from the muddled reaction to financial meltdown, had undermined confidence in European government. Rebuilding this trust, Mr Tusk said, has become an urgent necessity, which Brexit has demonstrated very clearly.

The German leaders plan will not achieve this task. A Bratislava process is supposed to guide the EU towards a Treaty of Rome next March when governments, again excluding the British, can confirm their vows to the so-called four freedoms of movement: of goods, capital, services and people. Yet this basic creed is by no means accepted by all members. Central European states are fiercely opposed to attempts by the EU executive to impose fines on them for not accepting refugees. Hungary will hold a referendum next month to back up its rejection of a quota system. The mood has turned so churlish that the foreign minister of Luxembourg has called for Hungary to be thrown out of the EU.

Thus it is unlikely that there will be a reaffirmation of federal European values. Listening to ordinary EU citizens (the Bratislava mantra) means re- cognising core concerns. These are youth unemployment, security and uncontrolled migration. Jean-Claude Juncker, president of the European Commission, had the opportunity in a speech this week to address these anxieties. Instead he offered free wi-fi in all European cities by 2020 and subsidised Interrail cards for young travellers. He also ducked the opportunity to explain how external Schengen borders could be made secure. Furthermore he offered more than 40 billion to encourage job creation in Africa. In doing so he spectacularly missed the point: that migration to Europe comes from failed states, and that even with EU seed money few people invest in such states.

Mrs Merkels problem is that she is weighed down by expectations she can never meet and by a lamely led European Commission that is actively eroding Europes credibility. European citizens will not love Europe more because of free rail tickets. Rather it is about building confidence in policies. It is shameful that youth unemployment in Greece languishes at 50 per cent, and is 44 per cent in Spain and 40 per cent in Italy.

Europe, it became clear yesterday, depends too heavily on Mrs Merkel at the time when she is running out of ideas and time. With the meteoric rise of the anti-immigrant Alternative for Germany, support for her Christian Democratic party base is vanishing. Conservative critics believe that she has swung too far to the left and are plotting against her. The general election is in a years time. If Mrs Merkel is to stand again, she must declare her firm intention by December.

Some EU leaders may want to divert attention from their structural crisis by threatening a punitive approach in future Brexit negotiations. Mrs Merkel should disabuse her colleagues of this misguided idea. If the EU wants to restore respect in its institutions it would be reckless to turn itself into a kind of Alcatraz, from which there is no escape.

• Like 2

If they disagree with me they usually are lunatics. Or liberals which amounts to the same thing.

So what percentage do you think in a referendum then, Monkey? And you can double the number you first think of because I appreciate that half the population are those bastard comeovers.

Would never happen.

But it would genuinely never happen , our Government would have to grow a pair first, is there any single candidate in next week's election that has had the balls to even suggest it? Also, as Woolley has rightly pointed out, a majority of the population are not Manx and are predominantly from the country that we would be breaking away from so don't expect much support there.

Add to that the fact many comeovers believe that they are more worldly and wise than the Manx (usually based on nothing but the fact they've lived in the UK as well as the IOM) and rarely miss an opportunity to belittle us and tell us how just about anything and everything is infinitely better where they come from, and that we couldn't possibly manage without them. Some of the more gullible Manx even believe it and so would be unlikely to vote in favour either.(see Tarne's post above)

We are more likely to have a revolution than an independence referendum, so if you'd like some predictions as to who'd be first up against the wall with a blind fold on, I'll happily oblige.

• Like 1

I agree MB but to even think about it we have to confront the frightening reality of a referendum on Independence after the election which might result in a break away republic with Philip Gawne as its Chief Minister. I'd rather do a deal with Jean Claude Junckers, Theresa May, or even the People's Republic of China before I'd want to live in a bankrupt country overseen by someone like Gawne with a COMIN comprised of some of the complete hopeless deadbeats currently standing for this election.

Edited by BossHogg

I know that most Manxies are proud to be British.

No, the english masquerading as Manx are proud to be british.

Well said

Best we can aim for by 2021 is sovereign status within the Commonwealth

But it would genuinely never happen , our Government would have to grow a pair first, is there any single candidate in next week's election that has had the balls to even suggest it? Also, as Woolley has rightly pointed out, a majority of the population are not Manx and are predominantly from the country that we would be breaking away from so don't expect much support there.

Add to that the fact many comeovers believe that they are more worldly and wise than the Manx (usually based on nothing but the fact they've lived in the UK as well as the IOM) and rarely miss an opportunity to belittle us and tell us how just about anything and everything is infinitely better where they come from, and that we couldn't possibly manage without them. Some of the more gullible Manx even believe it and so would be unlikely to vote in favour either.(see Tarne's post above)

We are more likely to have a revolution than an independence referendum, so if you'd like some predictions as to who'd be first up against the wall with a blind fold on, I'll happily oblige.

You are so typically small minded and hypocritical. You never seem to have anything to say that is positive about "cone overs" yet you've been kept in work by them.

how will you fund buying the freehold?

What freehold?

the 30bn crown estates says it worth

Will you kindly post me a link as to where the Crown Estates says this? (The £30 billion) Thank you!

I guess we'll just have to pay it off long term like Ireland did theirs

There is of course the option of "can't pay, won't pay"!

There is confusion. The Free State and indeed other countries becoming independent from the UK or Britain did pay a sum to cover in part such as barracks, police stations and such as financed from general taxation with a discount for that which was paid for in Ireland..A lot of military equipment was also transferred to the Free State...

However, in the case of the isle of Man it has been self-financing for so long that it is many years since the UK has directly financed any projects and public works..There is no notional debt...

Such as Ronaldsway and Jurby and the internment camps and garrison camps were paid for by the UK and then sold to the IOM Govt years later. The seaward twelve mile limit was also purchased...So not much left really..

The Free State had the issue of the Land Annuities but this is not quite the same thing...

• Like 1