EU apparently threatens economic sanctions against IOM and CI?

Barrie Stevens

You will not be allowed to have work permits..

Now you know why the old and bold have jumped ship and not stood for election.

Oh yes we will - but for non-EU members - like the bloody English will be soon!!

The "old and the bold" have jumped ship because a) he wasn't wanted here and he didn't stand for election because b) see a)

Join the EU? Even if we could. Why? I can't think of anything worse. Perhaps our huge bureaucracy might feel at home, but I cannot think of one positive aspect of taking that course.

The challenge will be to delicately & profitably balance ourselves upon the #Brexit fault line, where we're geographically located

• Like 2

I'd rather we joined the EU as an seperate entity, same as Gibraltar and Scotland probably will. Our politicians might not be the best, but they're a help of a lot better than the nut jobs running the UK these days.

You will have to elect an MEP...

Barrie, the average single EU constituency is just short of half a million. We don't even register. We'd be tagged on to an Irish MEP if anything. Anyway, not going to happen. They don't want us, we don't want them and more to the point, the EU is in its dotage.

This I fear is not correct. There are small European Parliament constituencies. I believe that the tiny German speaking population of Belgium (Yes there is one!) have an MEP for just 77,000 people..Then Greenland before it left the EU had an MEP for a tiny population..Gibraltar is part of the South West England constituency..An independent Isle of Man if it had an MEP could not be attached to the Irish Republic....That is a different country...Also, the odds are the IOM will keep the Queen as head of state and which would not really cut much turf in the Emerald Isle!...If the IOM had an MEP under a new arrangement like Gibbo but without being independent then it would probably be attached to Merseyside or similar.

You will not be allowed to have work permits..

Now you know why the old and bold have jumped ship and not stood for election.

Oh yes we will - but for non-EU members - like the bloody English will be soon!!

The "old and the bold" have jumped ship because a) he wasn't wanted here and he didn't stand for election because b) see a)

This old and bold got a good deal and moved into a retirement complex in April 2008...Luv you!

This I fear is not correct. There are small European Parliament constituencies. I believe that the tiny German speaking population of Belgium (Yes there is one!) have an MEP for just 77,000 people..Then Greenland before it left the EU had an MEP for a tiny population..Gibraltar is part of the South West England constituency..An independent Isle of Man if it had an MEP could not be attached to the Irish Republic....That is a different country...Also, the odds are the IOM will keep the Queen as head of state and which would not really cut much turf in the Emerald Isle!...If the IOM had an MEP under a new arrangement like Gibbo but without being independent then it would probably be attached to Merseyside or similar.

Barrie, you're hallucinating again. The IOM will be out of the EU with the rest of the UK. That's if the EU survives long enough for us to withdraw from it.

Edited by woolley

I'd rather we joined the EU as an seperate entity, same as Gibraltar and Scotland probably will. Our politicians might not be the best, but they're a help of a lot better than the nut jobs running the UK these days.

You will have to elect an MEP...

Barrie, the average single EU constituency is just short of half a million. We don't even register. We'd be tagged on to an Irish MEP if anything. Anyway, not going to happen. They don't want us, we don't want them and more to the point, the EU is in its dotage.

Barrie, you're hallucinating again. The IOM will be out of the EU with the rest of the UK. That's if the EU survives long enough for us to withdraw from it.

Please go back and read this thread again...properly this time!

• Like 1

So, German speaking Belgians can have their own MEP - but we can't? I'm afraid, if Brexit happens we'll have no choice but to leave England. Thankfully the City of London won't let the UK destroy itself without a fight.

No one has said that nor even suggested it...please go back and read the thread again...properly this time! And why keep referring to England? England has no power...I have today been advised that the US commodity giant Cargill is leaving the City and by the way it seems that many are resigned to the fact that the UK will leave the Single Market (Please dig deep on this one because it will shaft your finance sector and gambling also...)

I smell a hell of a lot of bullshit coming from the expats, in a last ditch attempt to make the Manx believe they need the british to survive.

It's quite pathetic really. I'm struggling to name a country which has cut its links with the uk desperate to get back in because they can't survive without british wisdom!

Malta is smaller than Mann, though does have a larger population. But they are an good example of what a Sovereign Mann would look like, ideally a republic.

I smell a hell of a lot of bullshit coming from the expats, in a last ditch attempt to make the Manx believe they need the british to survive.

It's quite pathetic really. I'm struggling to name a country which has cut its links with the uk desperate to get back in because they can't survive without british wisdom!

Malta is smaller than Mann, though does have a larger population. But they are an good example of what a Sovereign Mann would look like, ideally a republic.

Except Malta has a warm climate and is cheaper to get to, thus attracting a much larger tourist draw than the island.

They also export almost $5 billion a year (2014).....which I am guessing we don't even come close to 10% of that

• Like 1

The Isle of Man could be independent any time it likes subject to a referendum...The UK has repeatedly pledged this before United Nations.

Malta is richer and more diversified. It has the ability to comply and be Acquis Communitaire which the IOM has not. I suspect that Malta does not have the huge social and welfare budget and obligations as has the IOM and which of course does hamper options.

Malta has more people.

I can think of many ex-British colonies trying "to get back in"...I see them walking the streets in the form of immigrants.. The UK is a magnet for immigration from former Imperial possessions. It is a magnet for investment also...Then there is the Commonwealth or as I call it "British Empire Lite"...

The people of Sierra Leone were glad to see the British Tommy Atkins back on the streets chasing off the bandits and West Side Boys and the British administration temporarily brought back to get the books straight and make the trains run on time as it were.

The Manx are like the Scots. Always whining about independence but lacking the courage to actually go ahead and do it. The UK of course would love to get shot of you! (But I suspect the Manx would emigrate to England in droves as they have always done anyway!)

• Like 3

Please go back and read this thread again...properly this time!

But we were talking about in the future when Merseyside won't have an MEP. As for the Island joining the EU as an independent entity, as you have said, the EU in its struggle for survival is not looking for liabilities. Same goes for Scotland.

Except Malta has a warm climate and is cheaper to get to, thus attracting a much larger tourist draw than the island.

They also export almost $5 billion a year (2014).....which I am guessing we don't even come close to 10% of that

People vote with their feet! I left the Island because I could see the trouble coming and in my circumstances I found it harder to compete with the cheaper and younger migrants...This prompted me to find a place of repose and like the boll weevil "I done found me a home"..And went back to Essex aka "God's own county!"...I felt insecure on the Isle of Man as I think many other people do as at this moment..