TT One Way Signs At Creg-ny-Baa Not Adequate....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no excuse but it is happening. People are stupid and systems should be designed to allow for that stupidity. Especially when the potential for disaster is so great. Otherwise the system is eq

We need some of these in the road at the Creg.  

I really don't know how anyone can miss that stuff has changed during TT week, surely he must have thought the temporary road layout is a bit odd?

I also do not know how people can get on the wrong side of a motorway, it is almost impossible isn't it?

How many times has it happened that people have gone the wrong way, especially at Creg ny Baa?

The police, historically, have been quite rubbish at the road signage in TT week, and they seem to assume everyone is an avid TT fan and knows the score and is tuned in.

How many times has it happened that people have gone the wrong way, especially at Creg ny Baa?

The police, historically, have been quite rubbish at the road signage in TT week, and they seem to assume everyone is an avid TT fan and knows the score and is tuned in.

Yeah I suppose if you ignore all the no entry signs, one way signs, matrix signs and other lane of the carriageway being totally obstructed by cones then that is the case yeah.

• Like 2

And that will be the DOI who are responsible for implementing the one way system and all the signage that goes with it!

The Police simply enforce the laws made regarding it.

• Like 1

My sincere apologies.

For a few years during TT the mountain course was unrestricted all the way to Hillberry as it was (is?) rest of year. Then one year there was just the one 50mph sign thrown up at Kate's. So bikers going past Creg ny Baa could reasonably take it that the road was unrestricted on this open country road. No reminder signs nothing.The police ramp up from Brandish had newly been erected.

The bikers and £100+ fines just poured in.

Point being then, highly paid folk in Department of whatever it is called need to do a better job. But I suppose their salary and pension was well covered by the speeding fines?

Edited by red duh

There are so many oddities in the law and policing of the roads that nothing surprises me any more. There was a case in the paper this week about a van driver stopped for "not coming to a total halt at a stop line". Having been stopped he was found to be committing other offences. He was fined £100 for having no road tax disc, £100 for another offence (I think it was a defective tyre), but £300 for "not coming to a total halt at a stop line".

That looks totally upside down to me. WTF does it matter except to some over officious plod if his wheels did not quite stop turning at a stop sign provided he could see the road he was joining was clear and he was driving safely? Yet it is regarded by the court as three times more serious than having no tax or having a defective vehicle. I have seen people pulled for this "offence" at locations where the road can be seen clearly a mile in either direction. Law should be based on logic and where it is not it brings the law in general into disrepute.

It really takes an extraordinary effort to drive up from the Creg and to not be able to work out you shouldn't.

Exactly - I can't believe the reasoning being offered on this thread suggesting that the "system" needs to be tightened to account for those drivers who've headed the wrong way up the mountain at the Creg. If you can't appreciate that you're dong something wrong in that forest of signs, cones, and opposite-side-of-the-road melee, then you aren't fit be in charge of a motor vehicle...so before anyone says "Oh...but people have done it..." yes they have, people who aren't fit to be in charge of a motor vehicle. Ban them. The state doesn't have an obligation to attempt to neuter rank fucking idiocy.

• Like 1

That looks totally upside down to me. WTF does it matter except to some over officious plod if his wheels did not quite stop turning at a stop sign provided he could see the road he was joining was clear and he was driving safely? Yet it is regarded by the court as three times more serious than having no tax or having a defective vehicle.

It is more serious. It's an unpredictable manoeuvre that puts others at direct risk of physical harm. The defective tyre could theoretically but probably wouldn't really, and lack of tax doesn't.

WTF does it matter except to some over officious plod if his wheels did not quite stop turning at a stop sign provided he could see the road he was joining was clear and he was driving safely? Yet it is regarded by the court as three times more serious than having no tax or having a defective vehicle. I have seen people pulled for this "offence" at locations where the road can be seen clearly a mile in either direction. Law should be based on logic and where it is not it brings the law in general into disrepute.

There are lots of places where a STOP line seems out of place. Coming down Mount Havelock onto Christian Road/Finch Road is one place. Stop line but loads of visibility, then from Christian Road onto Finch Road it's a give way.

However, a STOP line is there, and no matter if you think it's stupid, you still have to abide by it.

There are lots of roads where a 30mph speed limit could quite easily be a 40mph limit instead (Vicarage Road for example) but it'sstill legally a 30mph zone.........

That looks totally upside down to me. WTF does it matter except to some over officious plod if his wheels did not quite stop turning at a stop sign provided he could see the road he was joining was clear and he was driving safely? Yet it is regarded by the court as three times more serious than having no tax or having a defective vehicle.

It is more serious. It's an unpredictable manoeuvre that puts others at direct risk of physical harm. The defective tyre could theoretically but probably wouldn't really, and lack of tax doesn't.

Don't agree. We're all adults aren't we? You would pull out only if the road was clear. Who would see this as an unpredictable manoeuvre? As far as anyone on the main road is concerned it has no effect whatsoever as they have right of way.

WTF does it matter except to some over officious plod if his wheels did not quite stop turning at a stop sign provided he could see the road he was joining was clear and he was driving safely? Yet it is regarded by the court as three times more serious than having no tax or having a defective vehicle. I have seen people pulled for this "offence" at locations where the road can be seen clearly a mile in either direction. Law should be based on logic and where it is not it brings the law in general into disrepute.

There are lots of places where a STOP line seems out of place. Coming down Mount Havelock onto Christian Road/Finch Road is one place. Stop line but loads of visibility, then from Christian Road onto Finch Road it's a give way.

However, a STOP line is there, and no matter if you think it's stupid, you still have to abide by it.

Yes. I think the most obvious one is at the subject of the thread - Creg-ny-baa. You can see clearly both ways. There is absolutely no point to it.

Perversely, you also see the reverse situation that is equally senseless. To emerge safely from the Old Castletown Road at White Hoe is impossible without stopping - but this is only a give way. Should be a stop line.