Demonstration of promenade

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

are you a plane?

If the countries that have already allowed a massive influx of so called refugees were able to kick out all the economic migrants, rapists, terrorist sleeper cells, hate preachers, self entitled scrou

There was a demonstration on Douglas Promenade today regarding refugees, the people involved want the Isle of Man to welcome them. What cloud are these people living on, seriously, we have about

Posted Images

If the countries that have already allowed a massive influx of so called refugees were able to kick out all the economic migrants, rapists, terrorist sleeper cells, hate preachers, self entitled scroungers, anti-anything not Islam, etc etc etc, there would be more than enough room for genuine refugees. And I am a caring person, I care deeply for the safety of my family, my friends and the island we live on. You only need to look at countries like Sweden and Germany to see how misguided good intentions by those in ivory towers have been totally abused by a bunch of savages.

I would argue that in that case the future role for the IOM is perhaps in offshore clearing? We did it during both wars. Rather than trying to house them perhaps the IOM has a model to be a clearing centre for the UK? We could make a fortune from The UK government if we stuck a big wall up and brought them in to be cleared before they even touched the shores of the U.K?

Edited by BossHogg
  • Like 1

We've help cause the situation, our annual £3million contribution to the UK's war chest has not only been responsible for the deaths of thousands but also played a part in destabilising the area from which these poor souls have fled.

I suppose you can't expect much public spirit from a tax haven though can you, as Skela Manx Tax Lunaire moon roads has demonstrated with his typically angry responses.

Edited by Monkey boy
  • Like 3

We've help cause the situation, our annual £3million contribution to the UK's war chest has not only been responsible for the deaths of thousands but also played a part in destabilising the area from which these poor souls have fled.

I suppose you can't expect much public spirit from a tax haven though can you, as Skela Manx Tax Lunaire moon roads has demonstrated with his typically angry responses.

Lol

Don't know the answer to all this. On one side it would be lovely to take in some safe families and help them start there life again. As a civilised society we should be thinking of doing that. On the other hand we have no houses free and long waiting lists for the same. Bearing in mind we have a static population that becomes a massive problem. Also the schools are overflowing now with too big class sizes already and I'm sure there struggling to cater for the different nationalities. Then you get on to the health services and what seems to be a acute problem to get anywhere near acceptable standards of care in most if not all areas. I've first hand experience of waiting lists and even something like eye Consultancy is 2 years and mental health services .which you would imagine might be needed has a 8/9 months waiting list for physiologists . I'm sure there's many other issues . So what's the answer .I really don't know if honest but it's not as simple as just taking them in as to do that we have to be able to offer them a decent new start in life and it would seem we can't at the moment as we can't take care of our own. Maybe if we withdrew the overseas aid payment and used that to help some that would help but still doesn't get near in improving the lot of our own

No houses free? There must be at least 200 empty apartments on the prom. I get why people don't want to see people coming here but there's nothing wrong with debating the subject I don't think. Maybe we should go back to the war? Gate off Hutchinson Square and a big block of the prom and fence them in for a huge fee off the UK Government whilst they are security checked and allowed back into the UK or deported. Or wall off Jurby and have the C-130's shipping them in and out for clearance on a mega bucks contract.

Edited by BossHogg

Don't know the answer to all this. On one side it would be lovely to take in some safe families and help them start there life again. As a civilised society we should be thinking of doing that. On the other hand we have no houses free and long waiting lists for the same. Bearing in mind we have a static population that becomes a massive problem. Also the schools are overflowing now with too big class sizes already and I'm sure there struggling to cater for the different nationalities. Then you get on to the health services and what seems to be a acute problem to get anywhere near acceptable standards of care in most if not all areas. I've first hand experience of waiting lists and even something like eye Consultancy is 2 years and mental health services .which you would imagine might be needed has a 8/9 months waiting list for physiologists . I'm sure there's many other issues . So what's the answer .I really don't know if honest but it's not as simple as just taking them in as to do that we have to be able to offer them a decent new start in life and it would seem we can't at the moment as we can't take care of our own. Maybe if we withdrew the overseas aid payment and used that to help some that would help but still doesn't get near in improving the lot of our own

I've never heard so much rubbish in my life. If we don't have sufficient social housing, if we can't afford to educate children or treat the sick then one of two things need to happen; either the Government need to spend less money on other things, or it needs to raise more money via taxation. How anybody could think that the best way to do this is to remove the food from a starving child's mouth is completely beyond me!

We already give a pitiful amount to overseas aid, many times less as a percentage of GDP than most, if not all other developed countries and far below internationally agreed guidelines.

If you think that we can't offer refugees a "decent new start in life" because of the problems you state, then I would go and live in Syria for a while and then see what you think.

It amazes and saddens me that as a nation we are only too accepting of uncosted tax breaks for millionaires, yet think the concept of helping people in dire need, is a bridge too far.

• Like 2

How mean can you get?

I understand people have offered to accommodate some refugees.

They don't want public housing and would not be entitled to it anyhow.

Our birthrate has fallen by 23% in the last 5 years. So there must he spaces in schools.

Birth rate may have fallen but the amount of families arriving from Eastern Europe and Phillipines has grown massively. Also in answer to the replies above I'm not saying we shouldn't take any I'm just saying that we have many issues to address and that should be addressed first. Also I find the willingness of people to take families in admirable and have nothing against it in any way but even that needs to looked at as its not just taking people in over a short period it could be potentially be for year or more. Most people these days a have a problem having friends stay with them for a week or so before there glad to see the back of them. If you see my opening sentence I'm really not sure what the answer is ..and I stand by that. Boss hog also you say discussion is good and that's what my points are aimed at.. I still don't know !!

Edited by Numbnuts

If the countries that have already allowed a massive influx of so called refugees were able to kick out all the economic migrants, rapists, terrorist sleeper cells, hate preachers, self entitled scroungers, anti-anything not Islam, etc etc etc, there would be more than enough room for genuine refugees. And I am a caring person, I care deeply for the safety of my family, my friends and the island we live on. You only need to look at countries like Sweden and Germany to see how misguided good intentions by those in ivory towers have been totally abused by a bunch of savages.

I would argue that in that case the future role for the IOM is perhaps in offshore clearing? We did it during both wars. Rather than trying to house them perhaps the IOM has a model to be a clearing centre for the UK? We could make a fortune from The UK government if we stuck a big wall up and brought them in to be cleared before they even touched the shores of the U.K?

You don't really believe that would work do,you !! You seem intelligent and add some great points to issues on here but once there here

behind that wall you suggest what happens then. The U.K. a is full with failed asylum seekers and the like who just keep appealing on different grounds and eventually they have been in the country so long they get to stay . The war was a different situation and all went back to there country of birth. Most of these will not be looking to go back to wherever they came from. The German initial stance is probably going to cost Merkel her job as its backfired and the same in Sweden etc. it's emotive and a big problem. And as I said it's a big issue and I for one don't know what's the best course of action .

So you clearly prefer to be technically uncaring rather than actually uncaring?

No, I prefer to not jump on ridiculous bandwagons driven by idiots.

I'd suggest maybe they are just caring people who rather than sitting at home finding reasons to nitpick the constitutional relationship between the IOM and the U.K when it comes to immigration just want to try to help people.

I'd suggest they're thick as two planks and jumping on a bandwagon started by a left-wing fanatic who also happens to be an anti-Israel bigot.

Oh dear, a rant against anti semitism. We know who doesn't like any of that don't we?

Other than you, who mentioned anti-semitism? I said he's a left-wing fanatic who is an anti-Israel bigot. Put it this way, I don't recall seeing him demonstrating when Ethiopian Jews were being persecuted and were seeking refuge and everyone in the world turned a blind eye except Israel.

I've never heard so much rubbish in my life. If we don't have sufficient social housing, if we can't afford to educate children or treat the sick then one of two things need to happen; either the Government need to spend less money on other things, or it needs to raise more money via taxation. How anybody could think that the best way to do this is to remove the food from a starving child's mouth is completely beyond me!

We already give a pitiful amount to overseas aid, many times less as a percentage of GDP than most, if not all other developed countries and far below internationally agreed guidelines.

If you think that we can't offer refugees a "decent new start in life" because of the problems you state, then I would go and live in Syria for a while and then see what you think.

It amazes and saddens me that as a nation we are only too accepting of uncosted tax breaks for millionaires, yet think the concept of helping people in dire need, is a bridge too far.

To be fair if your line of work wasn't dodging so much tax we could give more. Remember you told us all that.