New Jurby Masterplan

Addie

Denis Cunningham, owner of the Isle of Man Motor Museum, reveals details of his vision for a new masterplan to expand Jurby with new businesses, housing, shops and a possible media centre.

http://www.manx.net/tv/mt-tv/watch/80701/new-jurby-masterplan-revealed

I had a conversation with him last summer and was rather impressed with his enthusiasm for Jurby and it's possibilities.

But I'm sure that someone will find the negatives before post three though...

• Like 2

Heard from someone who went not too long ago it was okay, but once you've been....chances are unless something drastic changes there, there is no real need to go back.

Does it really see any turn over? I can imagine when our very small tourist season window closes, he'll be losing money hand over fist unless he closes up for winter.

Heard from someone who went not too long ago it was okay, but once you've been....chances are unless something drastic changes there, there is no real need to go back.

Does it really see any turn over? I can imagine when our very small tourist season window closes, he'll be losing money hand over fist unless he closes up for winter.

I don't think it is a primary concern.

He is wealthy with a huge collection (hundreds) of motor vehicles. You need a place to store those.

To me, this is a chance to store the vehicles (which he would have done anyway) and (a) let other people get some pleasure out of them and (b) get a bit of cash to help towards storing them.

I've not been yet but will be taking the little fella up for a nose soon. He loves his cars and bikesthumbsup.gif

I think the cafe does ok, the classic car peeps are meeting there, and there should be a reasonable uptick in visitors over TT/FoM.

Good luck to him.

• Like 3

Does anybody else remember the Old Jurby Master Plan?

It went before Tynwald in November 2003 and was supposed to be a vision for Jurby.

'Jurby Village- a discussion document' is the relevant publication. That was drawn up by architects/ planners.

There is also a glossy brochure Jurby-a sustainable village which shows where the new houses and community centre were going to be built. It even shows trees and shrubs.

This was all in the time of Alf Cannan's father David Cannan and before the prison was built.

It seems to me the government is not held to account when things go through Tynwald and then nothing happens.

• Like 2

I suspect that many of the shops and businesses that he hopes to attract will have that 'artisan' feel to them.

I wonder who'll get the contract for houses? Himself maybe? I don't care as long as Dandara don't get their teeth into it.

We've been to the museum a few times with visitors, and they've all been amazed at the collection and more to come.

Notwell has summed things up well except for The Guardhouse, which offers a good feed when up that way.

• Like 1