New Jurby Masterplan

Addie

As to the main crux of the topic in hand, I have a lot of time for Denis and I think he can do great things for the area if he can get the right people in place. There are other things going on that aren't mentioned in that piece and it could be very exciting for Jurby (and the island) if they come to fruition - yes I know, it is Jurby and we have heard it all before etc but here is a man that is willing (and already has) put his own money on the line and will continue to do so if the right people can be attracted to the area.

• Like 5

As to the main crux of the topic in hand, I have a lot of time for Denis and I think he can do great things for the area if he can get the right people in place. There are other things going on that aren't mentioned in that piece and it could be very exciting for Jurby (and the island) if they come to fruition - yes I know, it is Jurby and we have heard it all before etc but here is a man that is willing (and already has) put his own money on the line and will continue to do so if the right people can be attracted to the area.

As long as it's his money that he is prepared to gamble with, and not mine and other taxpayers. In all fairness, the Manx Government and DED will go weak at the knees for anyone with money, or anyone who they think has lots of money. Jurby is a fantasy - let's give them something to shut them up.

A very big +1. Am I right in thinking that DED turned him down at the first time of proposal and it was only his insistence that paid off?

As long as it's his money that he is prepared to gamble with, and not mine and other taxpayers. In all fairness, the Manx Government and DED will go weak at the knees for anyone with money, or anyone who they think has lots of money. Jurby is a fantasy - let's give them something to shut them up.

Why would you have an issue with some DED support?

The guy has put his money where his mouth is already.

If it was up to corrosive twats like you nothing will ever get done here.

If it was up to corrosive twats like you nothing will ever get done here.

I do not think its a good investment. Yes it will create short term jobs in the construction industry - im sure to the usual contractors, and in some cases will prevent them from going under. As a tourist attraction/hotspot I don't think its a going concern. Im sure it could be busy during TT and FOM but for 4 weeks of the year, is that really going to pay for the investment? I don't doubt for one moment that people haven't put their money where their mouth is, but in this case, the Motor Museum most likely had assistance from the DED and Government, in terms of the provision of the land, to house a private motor vehicle collection. Last week it had the SES teleport launch - im sure DED helped to choose that location. Its also worth noting that a modern health centre was built in Jurby - and has recently been slammed as a white elephant, and nobody using the facility.

Callows Yard didn't get great Government and DED assistance - otherwise it there would be a Tesco in there. The Strand Centre is fighting to get Tesco in there, but its stymied and prevented from doing so. I wonder if the Café at the Motor Museum has or will ever have an alcohol licence?. Another Tesco will create jobs and permanent, full time jobs.

I would have an issue with DED support as the guy clearly did not need and could and did himself. DED support should be for cases which would not happen otherwise and meet certain criteria e.g. number of jobs created.

I have never been as looking at a variety of old vehicles does not interest me but this has always looked like a project to store a guys private collection with the hope/expectation that there will be some income to defray the annual costs. This has never looked or felt like a commercial enterprise

I would have an issue with DED support as the guy clearly did not need and could and did himself. DED support should be for cases which would not happen otherwise and meet certain criteria e.g. number of jobs created.

I have never been as looking at a variety of old vehicles does not interest me but this has always looked like a project to store a guys private collection with the hope/expectation that there will be some income to defray the annual costs. This has never looked or felt like a commercial enterprise

Hallelujah - well said, common sense prevails. I still don't think whatever you do at Jurby will be a goer, still I'm sure IOMG will splurge and toss my and others hard earned taxes on vanity projects. How many times have spaceships and airships been at Jurby? I wonder how much was spent on that? More wet dreams than pipe dreams and high risk to boot. If anyone wishes to invest in Jurby fine, use their own money or go on Dragons Den, and I'm sure we will be pissing ourselves laughing when Peter Jones says it's ridiculous and on that basis .............. I'm out!

Exactly. I see it as a guy with a large collection of "expensive" cars looking for a way for the public to fund a way to keep them.

• Like 1