Jump to content

Food and drink festival


english zloty
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

It’s a fifteen minute walk to peel ffs.

 

7 minutes ago, finlo said:

It's the arse end of nowhere, a similar mistake was made moving the Royal show from Sulby.

I don't think the location is the issue. Its the complete lack of imagination. It doesn't look or feel like a festival. Its just the same bore rolled out year after year and lessons not learned from the years before. 

For 5 years now there hasn't been anywhere to sit and eat and you get can't get a drink unless you queue in a line for 20mins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ramseyboi said:

It is just outside of peel and on a bus route.  They would probably put extra shuttles on like they do for the Royal show which is held there and is the most attended event on island

Which bus route? 

Anyway I preferred your idea...

 

7 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

 

Should be free and spill onto the prom walkway with loads of seating around the war memorial and new cultural area if they do it again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, finlo said:

It's the arse end of nowhere, a similar mistake was made moving the Royal show from Sulby.

That might be the most Manx thing I have ever read 😂

Its a 25 minute drive from douglas.  Quicker to get there and park from Farmhill than it would be to get to the Villa gardens.  Quicker to get to from most places unless you live within a half hour walk of the prom

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Ramseyboi said:

That might be the most Manx thing I have ever read 😂

Its a 25 minute drive from douglas.  Quicker to get there and park from Farmhill than it would be to get to the Villa gardens.  Quicker to get to from most places unless you live within a half hour walk of the prom

It wouldn’t work.

Saturday, people come to Douglas, do a bit of shopping, have a stroll along the prom and pop in to the festival.

As Declan says, Knockaloe farm doesn’t get that much footfall. And apart from that, the vendors have already stated they’re not keen. 
 

You were right the first time. The prom has been done up. Let’s showcase it.

And scrap the five quid entry fee while they’re at it. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

It wouldn’t work.

Saturday, people come to Douglas, do a bit of shopping, have a stroll along the prom and pop in to the festival.

That's the point.  When people go to the Royal Manx it's for the day - or at least several hours.  People aren't going to drive half an hour, spend time parking and walking to site, just to wander about for 15 minutes. 

Only the Manx Government could imagine that the solution to not enough people going to an event is to move it somewhere more inaccessible.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We had reason to visit Onchan yesterday afternoon and had a couple of hours to kill and decided we would take a look around the village walk area go for something to eat and have a coffee etc. what a letdown everywhere you look it advertises Eat in big letters, nowhere open even for a coffee so we decided it's half term Onchan park will have a cafe open? parked up went to the cafe closed, loads of people about nowhere opened. I could not believe that Onchan was closed for business apart from a few pub's which I would not visit anyway, at least Peel has a choice of cafe's to visit or a few pubs that sell decent fair priced food.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Happier diner said:

 

 

For 5 years now there hasn't been anywhere to sit and eat and you get can't get a drink unless you queue in a line for 20mins.

there were tables and  chairs for people to sit on pretty much filling the space available in  the middle area,  there were just more people than tables and chairs , not much they can do about that really unless you have less stalls and more chairs.  nothing to stop folks bringing a foldable camping chair along if they want either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, WTF said:

there were tables and  chairs for people to sit on pretty much filling the space available in  the middle area,  there were just more people than tables and chairs , not much they can do about that really unless you have less stalls and more chairs.  nothing to stop folks bringing a foldable camping chair along if they want either. 

The venue is not suitable then is it. How can you have a food and drink festival where you can't get a drink and you can't eat your food anywhere.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Happier diner said:

The venue is not suitable then is it. How can you have a food and drink festival where you can't get a drink and you can't eat your food anywhere.

venue issues i agree with, maybe it should be up nobles park ??   more parking and more room.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

The venue is not suitable then is it. How can you have a food and drink festival where you can't get a drink and you can't eat your food anywhere.

I think the issue as with most things is IOMG is interference. The Villa is used to please DESC and Government coffers. The agricultural shows don’t make a real dogs breakfast of things and there arent too many complaints of lack of space or choice. After all it’s not as though there isn’t a team of civil servants working on the project, or a Minister who no doubt sticks their oar in. 
 

Remember the Festival of Jurby, was very successful when it started. Then as the years progressed, more and more rules and regulations were put in place, and additional Government interference until things become too much. At Jurby Airfield there is loads of parking, room for marquees, food vans, gazebos, seating and stalls.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...