Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Sign in to follow this  
Albert Tatlock

The John Shimmin...'what the f**k did I ever achieve?' thread

You can be absolutely sure that Bell and Teare have been lobbied hard by certain influential people to stay on to protect their interests and investments.

One of the things that impressed me was Richard Falk making it clear he'd not be taking any advice from Teare.

• Like 2

You can be absolutely sure that Bell and Teare have been lobbied hard by certain influential people to stay on to protect their interests and investments.

+1. My thoughts exactly, too. Bell in particular. Why else would they want to so enthusiastically remain on the scene, possibly (more than likely?) influencing policy, unless it's social and public conscience over what they've left behind? We've got quite enough of the unelected with LEGCO and the President.

Did their predecessors feel the need to remain and guide Al and Ed at the time? It would appear to be something of a precedent. Normally once you retire or get the bullet, you're out and gone.

That's why we have elections in a supposed democracy. Not to have people announcing that they're staying on!

The other option of course is that they just can't personally bear the thought of seeing any of their policies unpicked by this influx of young buggers?

• Like 1

Er...

...Can someone think of something?

He got in at the 1996 General Election so he's been in exactly 20 years. As the Tynwald pension scheme accrues at a rate of 2 years normal entitlement for every year employed that would be around 40/60ths of a final salary of about £60,000 that he's entitled to.

That's what he's achieved.

It will be guaranteed and index linked for life.

(If he'd done a few more years he'd have capped out at 75% of final salary)

He achieved one final act protecting his former colleagues and hoodwinking the electorate by keeping the CS pay rise under wraps until after the election. His cynicism should never be forgotten.

Didn't Gov't oppose the pay rise but the Union wanted it? I understand agreement couldn't be reached between these two parties and an independent arbitrator was called in resulting in the 2% agreement. This process dictated the timing. He could have waited, but how would that change anything. The decision had already been made by the arbitrator. While its easy to single out Shimmin and COMIN, I really don't think its as simple as is being debated here.

IO

Er...

...Can someone think of something?

He got in at the 1996 General Election so he's been in exactly 20 years. As the Tynwald pension scheme accrues at a rate of 2 years normal entitlement for every year employed that would be around 40/60ths of a final salary of about £60,000 that he's entitled to.

That's what he's achieved.

It will be guaranteed and index linked for life.

(If he'd done a few more years he'd have capped out at 75% of final salary)

but he and a few others were smart enough to know they wouldn't get back in with the state they let things get to so they didn't bother trying. they can say they left on a high through their own choice. but some of the other greedy fuckers were too stupid and pig ignorant to fuck off under their own steam and had to be pushed, into a taxi along with Quirk??

Edited by WTF

One of the things that impressed me was Richard Falk making it clear he'd not be taking any advice from Teare.

Chris Thomas won't either

He's just more mannerly

Chris Thomas won't either

He's just more mannerly

No point pussy footing around when dealing with critical issues.

As DoLgE Minister Mr Shimmin managed to sell the Ramsey Post Office building to the then Chief Minister's brother-in-law. In more or less secret too.

• Like 1

As DoLgE Minister Mr Shimmin managed to sell the Ramsey Post Office building to the then Chief Minister's brother-in-law. In more or less secret too.

For 250k if I remember. Given away