Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
ManxTaxPayer

Howard Quayle is our next chief minister

Oh FFS get over it. He's CM - you dont like it. There's bugger all you can do about it so move on for christs sake. It's just boring.

I see where you are coming from. But there is no way people who are so inept should be just given a free rein/reign.

I wouldn't mind if our Government/government said "oh we're a bit shit but we're trying our best for the Isle of Man" or something, but it is the crass pomposity and smug attitude that make me sick.

For too long I have come across cover-up after fuck-up after after cover-up after fuck-up. Something has got to change. And all the time the higher echelons of the manx machine are rolling and gloating in it all.

But aye, you're right, I have to agree, moaning won't change it.

No change? But collective responsibility has already gone, there's been other concessions, and no Legco members have ended up on departments. That's largely good in 2 weeks. As I said it's too soon to gauge whether there have been any fuck ups YET. More specifically I've yet to see fuck up after fuck up by the new administration as its only been in place for a week or so. If Thomas is looking at policy and reform we may well see other incremental changes in the right direction.

Gettafa has an agenda.

Which clouds judgement.

Gettafa has no agenda. our notty.

Other than like every one here I want the Isle of Man to be as good and strong a place as it can be. Yep, I suppose that has been my 'agenda'.

For over half a century.

You're making stuff up again notty.

The only 'agenda' I may have is that I did not find HQ to be a suitable person for MHK. I made that decision at the Marown School requisition meeting before the 2011 general election. The next 5 years did little to change my mind.

Oh, and the Charters thing just reinforced everything I had feared about the guy.

And then he becomes Chief Minister. Jees...

Oh, and for the record, I agree with LegCo, and out of the three, Howard Quayle was the only workable candidate for CM. I have stated that before he was elected.

It's going to be an interesting 5 years.

Edited by gettafa

The man LIED. He, like the other two candidates, said he would not take up the position of Chief Minister unless he had a majority of the support of the House of Keys. He did not gain a majority, he only gained half of the House (which in itself is rather bizarre and I demand a full explanation from all involved!) so he should not have taken up the position. He is therefore untrustworthy and should be thrown out of office.

Bump. NOT FORGOTTEN.

Well he did get the majority really unless he specifically stated 13 people. No one got more.

The man LIED. He, like the other two candidates, said he would not take up the position of Chief Minister unless he had a majority of the support of the House of Keys. He did not gain a majority, he only gained half of the House (which in itself is rather bizarre and I demand a full explanation from all involved!) so he should not have taken up the position. He is therefore untrustworthy and should be thrown out of office.

Bump. NOT FORGOTTEN.

To be fair, no he didn't.

If necessary, please read below quote and listen to the link.

It depends how you interpret what Mr Quayle said. He said you would need at least a tied vote to rely on LegCo. He then did a lot of gushing for LegCo and Paul Moulton pointed out that he would be the only one that would get support from upstairs.

Just to clarify, and for the record, here's a clip of Howard Quayle's reply to the question at the PAG meeting, Manx Legion:

attachicon.gif20160900 Manx Legion CM Hustings Howard Quayle 01.mp3

The result in the HOK does not fit the generally accepted definition of majority ! If a set contains 24 whatevers then to gain a majority the subset has to contain 13 of them. If it is the case that Legco were only ever going to support HQ then it should have been absolutely vital that a HOK vote was indeed 13 !

I wish Quayle well but the manner of his elevation leaves a lot to be desired, but is perhaps symptomatic of why so many things our government touch finish up as disasters or scandals which have to swept under the carpet !

I can only hope Quayle can actually appreciate that the island cannot have another 5 years of inaction and needs to tackle difficult issues now !

• Like 1

The result in the HOK does not fit the generally accepted definition of majority ! If a set contains 24 whatevers then to gain a majority the subset has to contain 13 of them. If it is the case that Legco were only ever going to support HQ then it should have been absolutely vital that a HOK vote was indeed 13 !

I wish Quayle well but the manner of his elevation leaves a lot to be desired, but is perhaps symptomatic of why so many things our government touch finish up as disasters or scandals which have to swept under the carpet !

I can only hope Quayle can actually appreciate that the island cannot have another 5 years of inaction and needs to tackle difficult issues now !

Unless the "majority" was clearly defined as 13 then I cannot agree. If you had 5 people and one had 12 votes and the others had 3 each then clearly the one with 12 has the majority.

Unless the "majority" was clearly defined as 13 then I cannot agree. If you had 5 people and one had 12 votes and the others had 3 each then clearly the one with 12 has the majority.

This has been gone through numerous times and not only is 'half plus one' the normal definition of a majority, but Tynwald procedures are quite clear about this. You need 13 votes to be elected to LegCo for example, not 12. The fact that some people confuse plurality with majority is irrelevant.

Legally Quayle has been validly appointed Chief Minister because the appointment is made by the Queen via the LG and the Tynwald vote is technically only a nomination. In any case the Act on appointing the CM makes it clear that LegCo have a vote, whether the public approve of that fact or not. But the way that LegCo voted en masse for Quayle when they could have abstained to let a second vote happen, according to the 'gentlemen's agreement' has struck many people as either ignorant or disingenuous, depending on whether you think they know what they doing.

• Like 2

This has been gone through numerous times and not only is 'half plus one' the normal definition of a majority, but Tynwald procedures are quite clear about this. You need 13 votes to be elected to LegCo for example, not 12. The fact that some people confuse plurality with majority is irrelevant.

Legally Quayle has been validly appointed Chief Minister because the appointment is made by the Queen via the LG and the Tynwald vote is technically only a nomination. In any case the Act on appointing the CM makes it clear that LegCo have a vote, whether the public approve of that fact or not. But the way that LegCo voted en masse for Quayle when they could have abstained to let a second vote happen, according to the 'gentlemen's agreement' has struck many people as either ignorant or disingenuous, depending on whether you think they know what they doing.

An indelible taint on the Quayle appointment.

And its all clever spin. Using the word "met" as opposed to "held meetings with" can often mean you bumped into them whilst picking up a vegetable samosa from the buffet table or they where next to you at the urinals having a slash.

Quite frankly a waste of time, effort and money at this stage. But hey...a day or two away is nice.

There are better places he could have gone if it was just a jolly.

It's a worthwhile trip.

Idiots like you are sat there moaning about Brexit. As an island we are actively trying to get to grips with it and you are still moaning.

I take it you went to the same school of pompous arrogant arses as the CM then. I think the trip was premature and unnecessary, that is all. And they try to justify their trips with piss and wind from press releases.

That will be King William's College then? You know, the school the masses went to....

Quayle has an airmiles target to maintain Y'know...and after New Zealand and Spain the bar is pretty high.