Votes for ex-pats

Moghrey Mie

The 'vote for life' should only be extended to people who were born there in my opinion.

In the Isle of Man you don't get to vote for any important issues. No referendums. You only get to vote for the lipstick that is on the pig and so as it stands losing a vote in the Isle of Man no great loss - but yes I agree that anyone born in the Isle of Man should retain their vote no matter where they live

Edited by TurricanII

If you leave why should you have a vote and why would you want one? I've not voted in the UK since I left. The idea never crosses my mind.

Because you might need or want to move back 'home' in the foreseeable future, or you feel your children may want to live in the UK later in life. Maybe there is a case for no eligibility for expats to vote in local elections, but certainly should have the right to vote in referendums or in general elections. Those who don't want to vote can of course abstain.

If you leave why should you have a vote and why would you want one? I've not voted in the UK since I left. The idea never crosses my mind.

Because you might need or want to move back 'home' in the foreseeable future, or you feel your children may want to live in the UK later in life. Maybe there is a case for no eligibility for expats to vote in local elections, but certainly should have the right to vote in referendums or in general elections. Those who don't want to vote can of course abstain.

No. I think if you left, you voted with your feet. If you come back later, all well and good, but I don't see why you should be able to vote on the strength of some future contingency while absent, at the same time affecting the present for those who are actually resident now. Not fair or logical.

Also. No taxation without representation. Where there is representation may soon follow taxation. Would you be OK with that? This is not a factor that has helped form my opinion, incidentally. The idea of voting in the UK genuinely never occurs to me.

• Like 2

I never voted here when abroad as I lost touch with things somewhat and didn't know what was needed here (not that it makes any difference).

Nor did I vote when living abroad as it wasn't my country to interfere with and to be honest, I had no intentions of staying there.