Is This Forum Being Moderated Properly?

Gee Cee

I ask this question in all seriousness, and I hope that one (or more) of the modertaors will respond.

The forum appears to have a mechanism whereby the moderators can award 'warning points' to contributors. Is this system being used fairly?

Can an individual moderator award the warning points, or do several moderators need to agree that warning points are appropriate?

Is there a mechanism that enables the warning points to be removed?

If so, how (and by whom) is this invoked?

Do the moderators consider that post #234 in the thread on abortion is in good taste?

If not, what are they going to do about it?

I have been carrying three warning points for a very long time. My 'crime' was to start some threads that were opposed to the TT. The contributor responsible for post #234 in the abortion thread seems to be opposed to allowing the disabled to live. A far greater crime in my book,. and one which deserves a much greater punishment.

• Like 1

I think the moderators do a superb job and I've always found them very good to resolve things if you use the report button (that's what it's there for) or contact them directly. They don't proactively go around reading every post; they rely on posters proactively using the report button to alert them to anything that requires moderation.

I've reviewed the post in question and do not believe it violates the forum terms and conditions and is merely an opinion expressed by the poster. You do realise freedom of speech extends to everyone and not just people you agree with or speech that you find palatable? Even morons have a right to post their opinions.

• Like 3

I've reviewed the post in question and do not believe it violates the forum terms and conditions and is merely an opinion expressed by the poster. You do realise freedom of speech extends to everyone and not just people you agree with or speech that you find palatable? Even morons have a right to post their opinions.

Manx Forums doesn't exist to provide you or anyone with free speech. It has a political agenda and is moderated in a way which serves that agenda. Allowing unpalatable contributions from morons like Tarne serves to disguise that agenda.

• Like 1

I didn't say this forum exists for the purpose of freedom of speech. But GeeCee apparently doesn't believe in freedom of speech. I think you attribute too much intention to the chief actors and way too much importance to the forum itself if you think it serves a political agenda. I suspect the forum exists more as a part-time hobby than anything. I don't doubt there are nitwits on here who have political agendas, but I doubt that's the chief purpose of the forum. Paranoid, much?

I don't know what admin have to deal with as only they know that, possibly some decisions are fair, others not so much. How can we tell?

But, the non-removal of posts like abortion#234 and posters like Tarne make me embarrassed to be a part of these forums. It brings home that there are people you're virtually mixing with here that you wouldn't have anything to do with in real life.

I know I've seen various admins' comments regarding rules about editing etc, but common decency surely should have a place in here? Rules are broken all the time on here and that doesn't seem to be addressed, so like unruly and unchecked children, some members go too far.

Maybe Tarne will apologise and remove his remarks voluntarily, that would be welcome. If not, I'd bounce him off pdq.

• Like 1

True but give the moderators a chance, Tarne only posted his dumb post about an hour or two ago; the moderators are volunteers who work regular jobs and aren't sat monitoring everything on here 24/7. I'm sure they'll delete it in due course.

Edited by llap

Censorship...the slippery slope to oblivion.

Everyone will find something on MF that will offend them. If you don't want to see a particular persons posts, put them on ignore.

How ever it is posts like that, that can get the forum into hot water.