Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Cronky

Children's Social Services - Will we ever get it right?

I see PAG are on the ball at the start of 5 years of Tynwald shenanigans:

1930 Wednesday 26th October, Manx Legion Club:

Children's Social Services - Will we ever get it right?

http://www.positiveactiongroup.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=599:pag-event-childrens-social-services-will-we-ever-get-it-right&catid=34:pag-meet

I recall there was a fair bit of discusssion about problems in Children's Social Services in the last Tynwald. Lots of talk but, true to form, no action.

I wonder what the new crop of MHK's will do with this.

I've noticed now that the elections over, they're no longer bothering to answer people's questions. I doubt they'll do anything about it.

I have noticed that most of the roles that would have been performed by paedophiles 30 years ago for free are now being performed by career civil servants. This is clearly placing an unnecessary cost burden onto the taxpayer.

No, we won't ever get it right

There will always be vulnerable children. If it wasn't being abused by a relative, having druggy parents, or being beaten by them, then it'd be something else.

We can try and stop it, but when anyone, even those that can't look after themselves, can have a baby, then there's potential for abuse.

• Like 1

of course the problem itself will never go away, but is all well with what the authorities äre doing? sometimes they can be a bigger problem?

I've had dealings with social services twice, both times were due to having crazy children but I'm glad they questioned me. I was a bit miffed at them asking if I thought my son had weight problems after he'd eaten some laxatives (a friend had forgotten to take her wash-bag home after staying) but I guess they have to ask these things.

• Like 2

A friend stops over with a wash bag of laxatives - good party?

I've noticed now that the elections over, they're no longer bothering to answer people's questions. I doubt they'll do anything about it.

3FM interviewed the guy doing the talk:

Future of children's social services to be discussed at PAG meeting

http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/future-of-childrens-social-services-to-be-discussed-at-pag-meeting/

Social services for children on the Isle of Man will be put under the spotlight at a public meeting next week.

The Positive Action Group will discuss the future of the services next Wednesday asking 'will we ever get it right?'.

The meeting will take place at 7.30pm at the Manx Legion Club - admission is free and open to all.

A Tynwald Select Committee has been working on an inquiry into children and family social services - the results will be put before Tynwald next month.

The PAG meeting will hear from UK professional Allan Norman who has a background in law and social work:

Interesting. Look like there is Tynwald interest in this. The guy in the interview talks about:

'policy makers . . thinking they see a solution but not actually seeeing the bigger picture'

I.e. they don'w know what they are doing in the first place!

So many wasted votes.

Edited by JackCarter

I've had dealings with social services twice, both times were due to having crazy children but I'm glad they questioned me. I was a bit miffed at them asking if I thought my son had weight problems after he'd eaten some laxatives (a friend had forgotten to take her wash-bag home after staying) but I guess they have to ask these things.

Hardly surprising

A friend stops over with a wash bag of laxatives - good party?

She stayed for TT week she was doing homestay... Edited by 2bees

We can't ever get it right because there are extremely divergent views on what the state should be doing.

• Like 1

either way the state shouldn't be removing children from their families without proper authority. that behaviour belongs in post war eastern european dictatorships.

on the isle of man it seems social services child care is a veritable industry.

there's money in them thar kids. including a pension

• Like 2

The letter from Tamasin Wedgwood and Marcia Brabbs to the head of the Safeguarding Children board is brilliant.

Manx Radio also appear to have understood the point:

Warning 'wrong questions' posed on child abuse

http://147-5433bc3297b05.radiocms.com/news/isle-of-man-news/dhsc-asks-wrong-questions-of-child-abuse/

Event to hear expert view on Children's Services

The guest speaker at a public meeting this week will tell Islanders we have the wrong attitude when it comes to child protection.

A Positive Action Group debate entitled 'Children's Social Services - Will we ever get it right?' will take place in Douglas on Wednesday evening.

Speaking yesterday, child protection expert Allan Norman outlined what sort of issues he'd be highlighting at the meeting.

He believes when it comes to preventing abuse we focus on the wrong areas.

The question is, will COMIN get the point?

• Like 1