Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Cronky

Children's Social Services - Will we ever get it right?

I'm posting as a moderator. Jack Carter, Speak the Truth and Boo Gay'n cool it or one or more of you may end up in the sin bin.

Reminder don't try and out posters by suggesting who they are in life. If you do, and they report, it's an instant ban.

Even more serious is that anything that might identify children or young people or their families ( i.e. Directly or indirectly) who are in contact with Social Services, voluntarily, formally through court proceedings etc, is in breach of the law. So don't be tempted. Don't do it accidentally or unintentionally.

Think before you post. Failure could land you, and possibly MF, in trouble.

OK John, wrists slapped, but I would never try to ID families.

I wish the mods were a bit more alert - e.g. libellous agitprop in STT's post #10??

When we began assembling cases and requesting an Inquiry, Minister Howard Quayle stated that the complainants were “alcoholics and paedophiles” and implied this was a reason that a complaint or inquiry would go nowhere. CEO Malcolm Couch demonstrated a similar attitude that the complainants against his department were people with drug, alcohol or mental health issues

• Like 1

Especially when offered on MF, my advice would be to heed the advice you receive for free often on here, otherwise face the consequences of a knock on the door and a lonely and uncertain 4 months thinking about whether you'll still have your house. It has happened.

Wise up and listen.

• Like 2

So, I've been advised not to name 'Jack Carter' because if they take exception to being identified it has been pointed out they have access to a much bigger legal resource than I do. Not having to fund legal proceedings yourself apparently ensures you are immune from being held publicly responsible for what you say and do.

That was the official advise.

The unofficial advice, which was informally but forcibly delivered along the lines of 'don't you dare or else', was an unsolicited gift from a member of a public service, although it is unclear if they were 'on duty' and acting with the knowledge and agreement of their superiors. You'd assume it was with agreement in such a regimented organisation.

The Isle of Man - Freedom to get fucked over by the self-preservation clique...

PM the name please. I think I know anyway.

Also, i can't see any legal issues. To name someone on here is a ban for breaching T's & C's. I'm not sure how you can be the subject of legal action for posting on a public forum anonymously and then being exposed. Other that of course exposing someone incorrectly. But if you are sure then that isn't an issue?

Edited by notwell

Obviously naming him is against the T&Cs and you'd obviously and rightly get a ban, I fail to see the legal consequences. So what if you name him, its not like you'd be defaming him or anything, anyone can read his posts and clearly see he's an obnoxious tosser. From the moment he joined the forum, apparently to troll Scampi he's brought his anger and small man syndrome to numerous threads. By your comment suggesting he has better legal resources than you it would appear that he is theoretically someone of some kind of standing, and in a court you could argue it was in the public good. Shame manxleaks doesn't exist eh?

Also, even with a ban its not as if you can't come back on with several thousand different logins (hi TJ).

Publish and be damned!! (But tell me in a PM in case I miss the post before of gets deleted).

notwell and teapot make the same point I assumed - a justified ban would be imposed, but that would be the extent of the problem.

However, what we've all forgotten to take into account is that this is the Isle of Man where what matters is who you are, what you do and who you know, not what the legislation says.

If 'Jack Carter' happened to be a person of 'standing' who had friends in positions of influence within key areas of public life, then they could cause you civil legal problems, regardless of whether they have a case or not. And they'd beat you into submission by having more influence and more money than you - or a free of charge legal department - so they could sustain the legal action longer than you could defend it.

Add to that the involvement of the public servant who kindly offered me some free and unsolicited advice, which suggested that such an action would bring 'consequences' of a criminal nature as retribution. 'Mind how you go' they might have added.

It turns out the Isle of Man is actually a fucking scary place if you step out of line.

No disrespect, but I don't know who you are, and I'm a tiny bit frightened following my visit from one of our devoted public servants.

Man up.

You're not Roly.

You could always go fully anonymous. Does lavamail still exist? Start a new user name, log in via Tor and a VPN etc. Bit pathetic to go to that much trouble to out someone for being a cock though. Chances are that everyone important in his life knows he's a cock already.

lol. Are you being serious?

They've not got a leg to stand on.

No they haven't, but it was made pretty clear that naming this individual would lead to unwanted interest in my life from a public service with potentially serious, criminal consequences. I believe the word is 'threat'.