Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics please. We will try and merge the locked topics as relevant. Topics are UK, IoM, TT & Sports and Tips & Questions about isolation and home working ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Cronky

Children's Social Services - Will we ever get it right?

http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/areas-of-social-services-need-to-be-rebuilt-says-committee/

No shit Sherlock!

Attempt to soften the blow when the independent investigation, (that is the one that actually viewed evidence), announces its findings in the new year.

It is interesting that the government subsidised MR site and the government mouthpiece site IOM Today fail to publicise such a damming statement in favour of such important news that Pulrose golfers are now to posh to piss in the bushes and that there might be bad weather in December.

Jeez, 'install' public confidence? My public confidence is being eroded on a daily basis.

If you have a very important message then you want to make sure it is clear and unequivocal. How much importance is attached to these press releases? It is not grammar Nazism, just the hope that the people pushing out this stuff really understand just how important it is and not given to the office junior to 'go do this'.

If the care and attention that is given to these press releases in any way reflects the care and attention given to the subject matter, then we don't have a hope.

You would expect that any press release goes through several hands to check the message, content and that it is consistent with policy. Looks like that doesn't happen.

• Like 2

There not very good eh Gladys?

No, they aren't. I worked alongside someone whose main purpose was press releases and replies to PQs, and the agonies of correct terminology and grammar was evident. They used a guide on such things by the Economist at the time, no idea if that is still the 'Gold Standard'.

But press releases were carefully and meticulously crafted, not just chucked out for a feeding frenzy. The purpose was to clearly inform without leaving elephant traps and the whole process was taken very seriously.

Would seem not here.

• Like 1

Given that 3FM seem able to mangle even the most trivial item of news, it would be unfair to blame the original press release for whatever appears on their website. It's also worth saying that this piece of 'news' relates to a Tynwald debate held a week ago about a report produced (and discussed here) well before that.

My Grammar were fussy about us speekin and riting proper like the posh knobs at the bbc

It isn't posh, it is clear, unambiguous language that either a government department should be able to handle, or a radio station.

• Like 1

Statements made today, as for 3FM mangling the news - at least they report it.

Only slightly more important than incontinent golfists and predictable weather - unless you like it to rain when you golf so the dribbles don,t show.

The media handling of this report to Tynwald, and the 'lost' recording device, underlines the points I have made about state control of the media in another thread.

Yes, some outlets have reported one or both of these stories, but they have done so by reporting what they are told to report. There's nothing independent about the journalism; they hear something has happened, ask an official spokesperson for a response and then run that as the news. They don't attempt to balance the report by seeking out an alternative view, or independently verifying what the official statement says.

This may be down to a lack of skill or a lack of resources, but personally I feel it is because all outlets are too scared of losing either government revenue or the flow of press releases from public bodies, including the constabulary, which fill pages and air time to rock the boat.

Of course, there are those who believe local journalists live in fear of the repercussions of pursuing certain stories, as being put on the outside of the special social circle would allow them to be exposed to severe reputational damage, professionally or personally, by those with an axe to grind and the mechanism to exact revenge. When politicians, police officers, social workers and the judiciary are working in concert, upsetting any one of them would be unwise.

They argue, for example, that if this wasn't true surely by now someone would have reported the story about the senior public figure whose professional misconduct while in private business, deemed so serious they were required to stop working in that profession, has been conveniently airbrushed out of existence so they could return to the profession in a public role and their place within the inner circle was not threatened.

The Isle of Man is, sadly, a cesspit of corruption and incompetence, and this fact has been hidden from view by those in public office covering each others backs either for personal gain or because they fear their own secrets being made public. The advent of social media is now beginning to shine a spotlight into the grubby corners of our society, so hopefully things may change, although I don't hold out much hope.

Asking Tynwald or the police to investigate social services is pointless, as no inquiry will be independent. The findings will be decided in advance of the charade, which is designed to 'instill' public confidence.

The findings - lessons have been learned, procedures have changed, challenging environment, doing their best but will be helped by enhanced training/resources - will then be trotted out by the subservient Manx media without question, analysis or challenge and the majority of the population will feel 'something has been done'. In the meantime, social services will punish the families who had the audacity (or bravery) to raise the alarm and the 'establishment' will find ways of punishing those who sought to assist those families, through trumped up police investigations, smear campaigns or worse.

It's worth remembering that people have died as a result of failings by social services and the constabulary, and absolutely nothing has been done. Let's just hope next time it isn't a member of one of our families...

• Like 3

The media handling of this report to Tynwald, and the 'lost' recording device, underlines the points I have made about state control of the media in another thread.

Yes, some outlets have reported one or both of these stories, but they have done so by reporting what they are told to report. There's nothing independent about the journalism; they hear something has happened, ask an official spokesperson for a response and then run that as the news. They don't attempt to balance the report by seeking out an alternative view, or independently verifying what the official statement says.

This may be down to a lack of skill or a lack of resources, but personally I feel it is because all outlets are too scared of losing either government revenue or the flow of press releases from public bodies, including the constabulary, which fill pages and air time to rock the boat.

Of course, there are those who believe local journalists live in fear of the repercussions of pursuing certain stories, as being put on the outside of the special social circle would allow them to be exposed to severe reputational damage, professionally or personally, by those with an axe to grind and the mechanism to exact revenge. When politicians, police officers, social workers and the judiciary are working in concert, upsetting any one of them would be unwise.

They argue, for example, that if this wasn't true surely by now someone would have reported the story about the senior public figure whose professional misconduct while in private business, deemed so serious they were required to stop working in that profession, has been conveniently airbrushed out of existence so they could return to the profession in a public role and their place within the inner circle was not threatened.

The Isle of Man is, sadly, a cesspit of corruption and incompetence, and this fact has been hidden from view by those in public office covering each others backs either for personal gain or because they fear their own secrets being made public. The advent of social media is now beginning to shine a spotlight into the grubby corners of our society, so hopefully things may change, although I don't hold out much hope.

Asking Tynwald or the police to investigate social services is pointless, as no inquiry will be independent. The findings will be decided in advance of the charade, which is designed to 'instill' public confidence.

The findings - lessons have been learned, procedures have changed, challenging environment, doing their best but will be helped by enhanced training/resources - will then be trotted out by the subservient Manx media without question, analysis or challenge and the majority of the population will feel 'something has been done'. In the meantime, social services will punish the families who had the audacity (or bravery) to raise the alarm and the 'establishment' will find ways of punishing those who sought to assist those families, through trumped up police investigations, smear campaigns or worse.

It's worth remembering that people have died as a result of failings by social services and the constabulary, and absolutely nothing has been done. Let's just hope next time it isn't a member of one of our families...

Those appointed for this investigation have been working with a local charity who have arranged the collection of evidence, meetings with those affected etc.

I have been told that those who gave evidence will get a copy of the report thanks to data protection laws.

Like you say, thanks to social media, this will not be swept under the government rug.

• Like 1

The house of cards my be starting to fall.

Rumour is -

Following the first round of meetings with the 10 families

Social worker JF also me with the investigators regarding one complaint against her.

Two days later she left her job.

Debra Brayshaw, (the boss) has also, apparently, been 'missing in action' for over a week

The investigation is still ongoing, with the investigators due to have more meetings with those affected in January.

Whilst resigning from their jobs when abuses have been proven may have, in previous cases, left social workers free to continue their abusive behaviour in other jurisdictions I have been told that, due to the abuses committed and evidenced here, the investigators are fully prepared to pursue these cases to a full conclusion.

This will include licences being revoked and criminal proceedings.

I hope the families involved, and others who are not involved in this initial investigation can draw some strength from the knowledge that, at last, social services are being held accountable for their abusive, dishonest and controlling actions.

• Like 1

The house of cards my be starting to fall.

Rumour is -

Following the first round of meetings with the 10 families

Social worker JF also me with the investigators regarding one complaint against her.

Two days later she left her job.

Debra Brayshaw, (the boss) has also, apparently, been 'missing in action' for over a week

The investigation is still ongoing, with the investigators due to have more meetings with those affected in January.

Whilst resigning from their jobs when abuses have been proven may have, in previous cases, left social workers free to continue their abusive behaviour in other jurisdictions I have been told that, due to the abuses committed and evidenced here, the investigators are fully prepared to pursue these cases to a full conclusion.

This will include licences being revoked and criminal proceedings.

I hope the families involved, and others who are not involved in this initial investigation can draw some strength from the knowledge that, at last, social services are being held accountable for their abusive, dishonest and controlling actions.

keep lapping it up..........

• Like 1

Let's hope the children are OK in the middle of the arguing adults.

Indeed (although many don't seem to be adults).

As with the other thread - point proven.