Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Cronky

Children's Social Services - Will we ever get it right?

Let's hope the children are OK in the middle of the arguing adults.

Indeed (although many don't seem to be adults).

As with the other thread - point proven.

You appear to be a horrendously nasty piece of work.

No wonder you have a whole Department of Government going full tilt to prove you talk a load of shit.

A whole government department?

And yet it is social workers leaving as the result of the work of just two independent investigators.

Yep - must be me talking shit.

The house of cards my be starting to fall.

Rumour is -

Following the first round of meetings with the 10 families

Social worker JF also me with the investigators regarding one complaint against her.

Two days later she left her job.

Debra Brayshaw, (the boss) has also, apparently, been 'missing in action' for over a week

The investigation is still ongoing, with the investigators due to have more meetings with those affected in January.

Whilst resigning from their jobs when abuses have been proven may have, in previous cases, left social workers free to continue their abusive behaviour in other jurisdictions I have been told that, due to the abuses committed and evidenced here, the investigators are fully prepared to pursue these cases to a full conclusion.

This will include licences being revoked and criminal proceedings.

I hope the families involved, and others who are not involved in this initial investigation can draw some strength from the knowledge that, at last, social services are being held accountable for their abusive, dishonest and controlling actions.

I don't know any of the facts, but it sounds to me as though you are acting as judge, jury and executioner. Perhaps we should wait to see if a thorough investigation is carried out......

The house of cards my be starting to fall.

Rumour is -

Following the first round of meetings with the 10 families

Social worker JF also me with the investigators regarding one complaint against her.

Two days later she left her job.

Debra Brayshaw, (the boss) has also, apparently, been 'missing in action' for over a week

The investigation is still ongoing, with the investigators due to have more meetings with those affected in January.

Whilst resigning from their jobs when abuses have been proven may have, in previous cases, left social workers free to continue their abusive behaviour in other jurisdictions I have been told that, due to the abuses committed and evidenced here, the investigators are fully prepared to pursue these cases to a full conclusion.

This will include licences being revoked and criminal proceedings.

I hope the families involved, and others who are not involved in this initial investigation can draw some strength from the knowledge that, at last, social services are being held accountable for their abusive, dishonest and controlling actions.

I don't know any of the facts, but it sounds to me as though you are acting as judge, jury and executioner. Perhaps we should wait to see if a thorough investigation is carried out......

Judge, jury and executioner - if only.

It also appears quite clear that, for once, the investigation is not only thorough but also finding disturbing evidence, even at a fairly early stage with only a handful of cases.

Three investigated social workers 'suddenly' leaving their posts since the investigation started is not just coincidence.

And that does not include for Ms Brayshaw's apparent disappearing act.

Edited by Speak The Truth
  • Like 1

I wonder if the media will make inquiries now there have been internet-based rumours of the sudden departure of an under investigation social worker and the apparent unplanned absence of a senior manager? The Villa Marina debacle gained great media exposure largely due to posts on a Facebook page, so this is no different. All it needs is for a journalist to pick up the phone and ask the question and yet, it won't happen because some areas of public life enjoy such incredible levels of protection the media dare not inquire into or report on anything they are not instructed to.

• Like 1

..and the people's lives those social workers have helped to screw up. Will the department contact those affected and make amends?

...and will the media ever follow up on the mislaid recording device? There was a department investigation, police investigation and data protection investigation all apparently commenced and then...complete silence. Funny that isn't it, not that any control over the media is ever exercised.

• Like 1

I wonder if the media will make inquiries now there have been internet-based rumours of the sudden departure of an under investigation social worker and the apparent unplanned absence of a senior manager? The Villa Marina debacle gained great media exposure largely due to posts on a Facebook page, so this is no different. All it needs is for a journalist to pick up the phone and ask the question and yet, it won't happen because some areas of public life enjoy such incredible levels of protection the media dare not inquire into or report on anything they are not instructed to.

"Internet based rumours" - if they are true you should be able to name the person involved. Remember you can't be sued if its true. Obviously if its just malicious gossip then no journalist is going to touch it. Why don't you make an FOI request? How many social workers are under investigation? What types of investigation are they? How many have been suspended? etc etc. I see no reason why that shouldn't be answered.

Obviously if its a disciplinary investigation then the results would be confidential between employer and employee. If its professional negligence however then that should be made public by the professional body.

You don't need a journo to do your legwork for you.

On the topic however, parenting is difficult for all parents. At some stage during the relationship, things will become strained in every family. Acting as the "corporate parent" is much more difficult and I doff my cap to the brave men and women who do this often unseen work, usually with great but also unseen success.

Mrs Baps has done this kind of work and she is always proud to meet a now adult ex-customer who thanks her for her help and apologises for their past behaviour. There will always be unhappy customers but don't let them detract from the largely positive work done. Instead lets ensure that proper safeguards are in place to protect the customers that are occasionally failed.

• Like 1

"Children's Social Services - Will we ever get it right?"

When there is more money to be made in actually looking after the needs of the children than there is in bloat employing people to fill departments

• Like 2

"Internet based rumours" - if they are true you should be able to name the person involved. Remember you can't be sued if its true. Obviously if its just malicious gossip then no journalist is going to touch it. Why don't you make an FOI request? How many social workers are under investigation? What types of investigation are they? How many have been suspended? etc etc. I see no reason why that shouldn't be answered.

Obviously if its a disciplinary investigation then the results would be confidential between employer and employee. If its professional negligence however then that should be made public by the professional body.

On the topic however, parenting is difficult for all parents. At some stage during the relationship, things will become strained in every family. Acting as the "corporate parent" is much more difficult and I doff my cap to the brave men and women who do this often unseen work, usually with great but also unseen success.

Mrs Baps has done this kind of work and she is always proud to meet a now adult ex-customer who thanks her for her help and apologises for their past behaviour. There will always be unhappy customers but don't let them detract from the largely positive work done. Instead lets ensure that proper safeguards are in place to protect the customers that are occasionally failed.

How many did she work with - and how many of those see her work as helpful?

I hope Mrs Baps is one of the few who actually did try to help their customers,

I am sure if she was, as you say, the exception she would be prepared to give evidence to the ongoing enquiry and act as a whistle-blower.

If she was, in any way, inside the system, she will have seen first hand abuses and illegal actions taking place.

That is no doubt why, after trying to stand up against those responsible, she felt she had no option but to resign her post and fight for what is right by reporting what was going on to politicians and the media etc.

Oops sorry - found myself in your fantasy world for a minute there!

Then I realised Mrs Baps did none of the above.

How many did she work with - and how many of those see her work as helpful?

I hope Mrs Baps is one of the few who actually did try to help their customers,

I am sure if she was, as you say, the exception she would be prepared to give evidence to the ongoing enquiry and act as a whistle-blower.

If she was, in any way, inside the system, she will have seen first hand abuses and illegal actions taking place.

That is no doubt why, after trying to stand up against those responsible, she felt she had no option but to resign her post and fight for what is right by reporting what was going on to politicians and the media etc.

Oops sorry - found myself in your fantasy world for a minute there!

Then I realised Mrs Baps did none of the above.

I realise that you live in a parallel universe of conspiracies, fantasies and all that, but please give us an example of "illegal actions"