Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Cronky

Children's Social Services - Will we ever get it right?

Not over here but.......

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/disgraced-social-worker-jailed-rewriting-12450813

Who would have thought it from a member of such a fine, honest profession?

Cases like this are a weekly occurrence across the water.

Luckily our social workers don't, for the most part, come from over there, have the same training, work here through an agency so they can do a runner before action is taken against them.

Oops sorry - for a minute there I became a social worker.

Luckily, unlike a social worker, my printed lies will not affect the lives of any children or families.

Or, the local authority spotted how crap he was and demoted him. Should have sacked him, but he lost nearly half his salary, I wonder what he got demoted to? Then he tried to fake a reference, got caught and prosecuted. Sounds ok to me.

I know you have concerns, but this example doesn't help you really.

The point I was making is that being a social worker does not prove honesty.

It also shows, through his demotion rather than dismissal and his licence being revoked, how it is more the norm for agencies to act in such a way to avoid the bad publicity.

Also that the training is the same, the attitude is the same and, in many cases, the social workers move regions to avoid being 'outed'.

This one being 'found out' is likely to be the exception rather than the rule.

We have seen, that even with doctors, the DHSC over here are not exactly thorough when checking references and histories of those they employ.

A quick google search will show how regular it is for cases to actually become public, how many are hidden from view must be frightening.

Edited by Speak The Truth

Really, where do you get this from?

How can parents be on the end of some huge wrongdoing which seems to be happening all the time yet no one ever hears about it and you're saying they are promoted too?

Let's have some names.

Notty, what do you want names for. Serious question.

(go on, do it, tell me)

Edited by gettafa

Really, where do you get this from?

How can parents be on the end of some huge wrongdoing which seems to be happening all the time yet no one ever hears about it and you're saying they are promoted too?

Let's have some names.

For obvious reasons names can not be published at this time.

Also, thanks to numerous out of court settlements with gagging orders attached, the wrongdoing has remained hidden.

There is also the fact that family courts, for very good reasons, are private.

(go on, do it, tell me)

Because it's just the usual bluster

You haven't answered the question (as usual) though, have you.

I asked what do you want names for.

(go on, do it, tell me)

STT and Gettafa indulge in standard propaganda techniques - tell lies frequently until people start to think that they are true. It's the Trump approach too.

I have said before that there is something seriously wrong with people who paint perpetrators as victims, hard working public servants as abusers and foreget that it is children who are actually being damaged.

What happens, STT, if you cause children's social services to implode completely? Would you see that as a job well done?

(go on, do it, tell me)

STT and Gettafa indulge in standard propaganda techniques - tell lies frequently until people start to think that they are true. It's the Trump approach too.

I have said before that there is something seriously wrong with people who paint perpetrators as victims, hard working public servants as abusers and foreget that it is children who are actually being damaged.

What happens, STT, if you cause children's social services to implode completely? Would you see that as a job well done?

Really.

Now you're trying to compare me with the president of the USA.

Where have I told any lies? What I have said I have seen and read all the correspondence including forms and relevant legislation. I stand by all I have said, which in any case is only skimming the surface.

I don't want anything to implode, I just want people who are paid from the public purse and who have power over our lives to do their job. Properly.

A fundamental start to that is not tell lies and carry out procedures in accordance with the law and agreed procedures.

Edited by gettafa
  • Like 1

(go on, do it, tell me)

With the corruption and abuse that is so intrinsic to the way that children's social services operate, complete implosion may be necessary.

Hard working public servants?

Reminds me of a UB40 song title - One in Ten (if we are lucky).

As for employing propaganda techniques - so you claim two people on this forum are more successful at this than all of DHSC and the Chief Minister put together?

I thought you had 'come out' Boo Gay'n.

This sounds more like the ravings of someone who's closet is well and truly full of skeletons.

What are you hiding?

If social workers who have objected to the way things are being done grasp the nettle and see this as an opportunity to make a real difference by telling the truth about what has, and still is, going on within social services the good ones will not only have nothing to fear, but will also have an opportunity to help create a service for families and children that is open, honest, constructive and most importantly, a service that works for the welfare of those it deals with.

Not a service that spends more energy protecting itself from the truth coming out.

If, and it is a big if, social workers have done nothing wrong they should welcome independent scrutiny.

I am yet to hear of one that does.

An initial investigation is happening, this will undoubtedly have to be expanded.

Is it possible that you will be looking for alternative employment soon?

"If, and it is a big if, social workers have done nothing wrong they should welcome independent scrutiny.

I am yet to hear of one that does."

An interesting argument, coming from a keyboard warrior who hides behind a nom-de-plume. If he has nothing to hide, why doesn't he write under his real name?

Edited by commish

"If, and it is a big if, social workers have done nothing wrong they should welcome independent scrutiny.

I am yet to hear of one that does."

An interesting argument, coming from a keyboard warrior who hides behind a nom-de-plume. If he has nothing to hide, why doesn't he write under his real name?

Like you do?

You don't - wonder why?

Could it be that you work for...............

At least this gives you and Gay'n something to talk about over coffee whilst perusing the job vacancies column.

I don't, but I did, many moons ago.

My point was that nobody enjoys scrutiny, even if you've nothing to worry about. If what you are writing on a forum would stand up to scrutiny, perhaps you should put your name to it..?

Incidentally, I did try once to change my name to my real name, but the forum does not allow it.

• Like 1

I never said they should enjoy scrutiny, but why should they fear it?

In the unlikely event that there have only been genuine mistakes made, independent 'scrutiny' would point out training needs and help to provide a better service.

Why would anyone fear this?

Far from fearing it, such an opportunity should be welcomed.

Surely social workers should want to provide the best service possible for those they deal with.

If, however, abuse, controlling behaviours, illegal activities, intimidation, falsification of files, data protection breaches or any other actions or behaviours that are not acceptable in any walk of life, and are most certainly unacceptable from those in positions of trust and power are endemic.....

If this is the case I am sure we will see those involved doing their best to discredit anyone who brings such actions into the public domain whilst moaning about how hard they have to work to do the job they chose to do and how much pressure they are under.

Talk about pressure and hard work to a nurse, or a carer or any self employed person, or any one of hundreds of other careers where people give their all - usually for a lot less money than a social worker gets.

The posts from yourself and Gay'n do more to strengthen the argument for investigation than anything I can say.

If there is nothing to hide - then why be scared?

Edited by Speak The Truth

Speak The Truth, I actually agree with a lot of what you say. However, I do think it's a bit rich hiding behind a pseudonym when calling for openness and honesty,