Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Cronky

Children's Social Services - Will we ever get it right?

Financial compensation?

No amount of money could compensate for the actions being investigated.

Also, when asked what outcome they would like, not a single family has mentioned compensation.

Without exception they all said the main priority was ensuring that no family had to endure what they had been through and that those guilty of abuses be prevented from such behaviours again.

Such is the feeling from those affected that many have already refused 'deals' offered by social services that depended on them not giving evidence to the investigation.

One family that was due to give evidence did accept a large financial settlement that was conditional on a gagging order, the others all feel that this matter needs to be addressed on a permanent basis and that social services need to be prevented from brushing abuses under the carpet.

How much was the large financial settlement?

Undisclosed but described as substantial.

Not that it matters how much - it is more telling that it was paid with conditions of a gagging order.

• Like 1

You do realise that by not answering notwell's stupid questions, he feels he is entirely justified in saying that all of your posts are 'nonsense'.

• Like 3

Financial compensation?

No amount of money could compensate for the actions being investigated.

Also, when asked what outcome they would like, not a single family has mentioned compensation.

Without exception they all said the main priority was ensuring that no family had to endure what they had been through and that those guilty of abuses be prevented from such behaviours again.

Such is the feeling from those affected that many have already refused 'deals' offered by social services that depended on them not giving evidence to the investigation.

One family that was due to give evidence did accept a large financial settlement that was conditional on a gagging order, the others all feel that this matter needs to be addressed on a permanent basis and that social services need to be prevented from brushing abuses under the carpet.

How much was the large financial settlement?

Undisclosed but described as substantial.

Not that it matters how much - it is more telling that it was paid with conditions of a gagging order.

A gagging order that has now been breached, presumably?

Ms Brayshaw and Mr Couch have been cleared of any wrongdoing and there is no ongoing investigations into their practice. and it was well known that Ms Brayshaw is on a long hall holiday that was approved prior to the commencement of any investigation into her or her departments practice.

Is a "long hall holiday" one where she isn't allowed out of the front door?

Obviously no one can be 'cleared' until the investigation is finally completed. That should especially true of anyone at the top of an organisation because they may have been involved in the actions of subordinates or have failed to be involved in the process (or in setting guidelines) when they should have been. So those at the top can't be off the hook until everything is sorted - or unless it is decided that they must ex-officio innocent on the basis that no senior Manx civil servant can ever do anything wrong.

It's perhaps worth going back to what started this process, which was the Tynwald Social Affairs Policy Review Committee Report on Children and Families Social Services. This made a large number of criticisms in the way that the Department was run and the lack of independent scrutiny of their actions. They also seemed rather unimpressed by Ms Brayshaw's evidence.

• Like 3

It would appear that we are now subject to a gagging order on here.

Would the moderator who removed my post please let me know why it was removed and the same for the other contributors who had their posts removed?

It would appear that we are now subject to a gagging order on here.

Would the moderator who removed my post please let me know why it was removed and the same for the other contributors who had their posts removed?

There's a whole week's worth of posts gone, so it could be something technical. Alternatively there may have been a vaguely-worded legal threat and they've had to pull the lot until it's been determined what the problem is.

Well, you were getting a tad subjective and, quite honestly, verging on the sensational. Some of the claims you've been making are only virtual hearsay and probably imprecise. It doesn't further your cause.

• Like 1

3 Posts, made today, have been set invisible. Reason the first made serious professional allegations against 2 named and 2 identifiable persons. The second said there had been no findings as alleged.

MF cannot judge the truth or otherwise. If they are left up and are wrong and defamatory MF places itself at risk.

Setting invisible means we can review once the investigation report is published and public.

No cover up, no conspiracy, no wholesale deletions. Just self preservation of MF.

• Like 3

Well, you were getting a tad subjective and, quite honestly, verging on the sensational. Some of the claims you've been making are only virtual hearsay and probably imprecise. It doesn't further your cause.

Nothing I have stated on here has been sensationalised, nor is any of it untrue.

I have mentioned no names that have not been named in other public announcements by those helping with the investigation.

Probably imprecise?

Probably to near the truth for some who like to criticise and try to discredit what has been said.

Virtual hearsay - 90% of posts would be deleted.

My cause?

My cause, if I have one on this subject, is exposing lies and abuse by those paid to protect.

Bringing this to the public eye is never wrong, nor is it harmful - unless you are one of the abusers.

3 Posts, made today, have been set invisible. Reason the first made serious professional allegations against 2 named and 2 identifiable persons. The second said there had been no findings as alleged.

MF cannot judge the truth or otherwise. If they are left up and are wrong and defamatory MF places itself at risk.

Setting invisible means we can review once the investigation report is published and public.

No cover up, no conspiracy, no wholesale deletions. Just self preservation of MF.

Thanks for the update.

I understand and appreciate your reasons and will endeavour to be more sensitive to the preservation of MF in future posts.

Thanks for the update.

I understand and appreciate your reasons and will endeavour to be more sensitive to the preservation of MF in future posts.

Maybe one day we will get to discover whether you do 'speak the truth' or not.

Thanks for the update.

Maybe one day we will get to discover whether you do 'speak the truth' or not.

You have no idea how much I hope you are right, and I hope that day comes soon.