Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Cronky

Children's Social Services - Will we ever get it right?

Thank you to the moderator for seeing sense, will you be removing previous posts on MF's by speak the truth that name or quote initials of public servants that are identifiable?

Edited by Gemma

Oh I think we know how much you hope you are right, surely if you believe in fair and due process you will be open to the possibility that you may not be right and that surely would show how genuine you are about trusting in an independent investigation.

• Like 1

Oh I think we know how much you hope you are right, surely if you believe in fair and due process you will be open to the possibility that you may not be right and that surely would show how genuine you are about trusting in an independent investigation.

To be fair, I've come across so-called 'independent' investigations on the Isle of Man.

eg. Independent Review Board re hospital matters. Independent my arse. If they are as independent as they claim then they must be incompetent.

Same could be said for various courts, including the High Court.

• Like 1

Having seen evidence of data protection abuses including the illegal accessing of medical files, lies told in ss files that are contradicted by recordings made of meetings, having spoken to the some of those affected - including children who are now adult.

I know I am right.

My 'hope' is that the investigators have been given the access to records and all material they need to present findings that Tynwald can not hide from the public as has been the practice of previous health ministers, departmental chief executives and their minions.

I also 'hope' that those responsible are fully identified and prosecuted.

I also know that in the event of any attempted cover up there are members of the national press in the UK, who are fully aware of the ongoing situation, who can not wait to expose any form of corruption in the governance of the Island.

This is not going to go away this time.

I would suggest 'speak.the truth' that you carefully assemble every bit of documentation that you can, and write your own report to be published when the inevitable whitewash is announced.

• Like 1

The stinking inigma....just to clarify I never claimed anyone had been cleared from the investigation as that has not concluded, my comment was about the clearance from a separate investigation into a specific complaint made against two individuals. My point in my post was to await the findings from the independent investigation before naming and shaming.

The stinking inigma....just to clarify I never claimed anyone had been cleared from the investigation as that has not concluded, my comment was about the clearance from a separate investigation into a specific complaint made against two individuals. My point in my post was to await the findings from the independent investigation before naming and shaming.

So there will be naming and shaming then ?

It must be hard to see your colleagues being publicly criticised while an investigation is ongoing and no findings have been delivered, and you are absolutely right to remind us that it should be a case of 'innocent until proven guilty' (although this is concept foreign to social services).

However, you can't possibly pretend there aren't failings at the human level and also structurally within social services. You have an opportunity to inform this debate by sharing facts from the coalface, but no one is going to give you any credence if your starting position is that everything is rosy and that elements within the social services system aren't habitually failing children, families and the Island.

Also, to be able to state that two named individuals have been 'cleared' before the investigation is even concluded suggests that it may not be as independent as we might hope. If you know the outcome already that would suggest the conclusions have already been written, before all the evidence is collected and considered. Sadly, this wouldn't surprise me as the social services way of doing business is to form a conclusion in advance and stick to that opinion regardless.

Given the investigation is supposed to still be in the evidence gathering stage can you explain how you are privy to its findings already?

• Like 2

please answer "censorship" mrs gemma or shut up.

Gemma is either lying about what she knows, in which case she should indeed shut up, or has been given access to the already prepared findings of an investigation which, as we know, is still ongoing and some way off concluding. If the latter is true then it only serves to underline what many feared, that this inquiry will be a whitewash with social services dictating the conclusions and recommendations to protect itself.

• Like 1

Good post censorship, however the following succinctly captures so much that is wrong with the child social services:

, and you are absolutely right to remind us that it should be a case of 'innocent until proven guilty' (although this is concept foreign to social services).

• Like 1

They do a difficult job in constant fear of getting it wrong by either being over zealous or not thorough enough. BUT that doesn't excuse negligence, incompetence, lies, cruelty, bullying or covering up failings to avoid embarrassment rather than embracing opportunities to learn.

By not addressing failings where they occur, the issues become endemic and undermine any attempts to do the job properly. Sweeping things under the carpet serves no one other than those who shouldn't be in the jobs in the first place.

Perhaps one day someone will just publish a list of the those people, and soon.

Talking about under carpets, any word on the internal or police investigation into the 'missing' recording device? No? I'm shocked! At least the media haven't obediently complied with the instruction to stop asking questions...

Strange that the campaigning Isle of Man Newspapers, which fought so hard and bravely to bring you the 'secret' and earth-shattering story behind an old tram falling over on Snaefell isn't taking more of an interest. Isn't it?

• Like 2