Children's Social Services - Will we ever get it right?

Cronky

It's the sheer bullying, the taking things out of context and abusing it to its max, lying, threatening legal action when you don't do exactly what they say when they say it, its the lack of investigation that they do. The dr who works with the department is as bad as them and is on first name friendly names. He sees safeguarding issues when there isn't any. They fabricate stories to try and support their aim. They never look at positives and support people. The complaints proceedure is an absolute joke. The top dog investigates their own issues and instead of answering problems they dig at you about something completely unrelated to the treatment you've received and then there is no where to turn. They make it very difficult to complain to the 'independent' panel, there is no ombudsman like there is im England . The management is more at fault than the staff below them. The department have caused far more harm to our children. There's nothing we can do to protect them from the emotional harm the department is doing to them and that is so disempowering. It makes us less as parents because we can't protect them. We're one of the many, I'm sure parents who genuinely never did anything to warrant their attention in the first place.

the problem is the staff who have failed with their own kids, those with no kids and no real world experience of the little fuckers, and wannabe parents who can't have kids of their own all looking to impose their nurturing and mothering/fathering instincts on other peoples kids just because they can't do it to their own or have fucked up their own kids. they want a chance to prove to the world they can care and get it right ( in their eyes ) no matter the cost. they fuck up more families and kids than they help. they do help some, but it is just a hormonal power trip for some of them desperate to have something to love, get a kitten, they are pretty self sufficient as long as you feed them the MSPCA is full of dogs that were kid replacements for some people needing something to love and they fucked them up and had to get rid, no way they should have real kids to fuck up. interfering, box ticking, do gooding cunts on the most part inventing excuses to intervene in other peoples lives. all they can look after is their own interests at the expense of others welfare. if there aren't enough genuine cases to justify their jobs they invent something to chase around after to look busy.

It's the sheer bullying, the taking things out of context and abusing it to its max, lying, threatening legal action when you don't do exactly what they say when they say it, its the lack of investigation that they do. The dr who works with the department is as bad as them and is on first name friendly names. He sees safeguarding issues when there isn't any. They fabricate stories to try and support their aim. They never look at positives and support people. The complaints proceedure is an absolute joke. The top dog investigates their own issues and instead of answering problems they dig at you about something completely unrelated to the treatment you've received and then there is no where to turn. They make it very difficult to complain to the 'independent' panel, there is no ombudsman like there is im England . The management is more at fault than the staff below them. The department have caused far more harm to our children. There's nothing we can do to protect them from the emotional harm the department is doing to them and that is so disempowering. It makes us less as parents because we can't protect them. We're one of the many, I'm sure parents who genuinely never did anything to warrant their attention in the first place.

the problem is the staff who have failed with their own kids, those with no kids and no real world experience of the little fuckers, and wannabe parents who can't have kids of their own all looking to impose their nurturing and mothering/fathering instincts on other peoples kids just because they can't do it to their own or have fucked up their own kids. they want a chance to prove to the world they can care and get it right ( in their eyes ) no matter the cost. they fuck up more families and kids than they help. they do help some, but it is just a hormonal power trip for some of them desperate to have something to love, get a kitten, they are pretty self sufficient as long as you feed them the MSPCA is full of dogs that were kid replacements for some people needing something to love and they fucked them up and had to get rid, no way they should have real kids to fuck up. interfering, box ticking, do gooding cunts on the most part inventing excuses to intervene in other peoples lives. all they can look after is their own interests at the expense of others welfare. if there aren't enough genuine cases to justify their jobs they invent something to chase around after to look busy.

I can't agree with most of that.

I assume most people get in to social services with a desire to help people. I find it hard to believe the majority of people take up the role for some kind of power trip.

Social Services don't just randomly get involved with families. There is a trigger to that event happening. Of course you cannot expect many people who are subject to Social Services being particularly positive about them can you? And why would we expect anyone to be positive about what they do?

They have to deal with some fucking truly horrific and evil people. Perhaps that makes the job tougher on the rest of the cases. I dunno.

But let's not expect a plehora of positive stories.

I was told of one case (from someone i'd consider to be very reliable - not one of 2112's sourcesbiggrin.png )where a mother was prostituting her 13 year old daughter out and when she was removed by Social Services the mother was busy monitoring the Social Service care of her daughter and crticising them. On this island. True story.

• Like 2

notwell wrote:

I was told of one case (from someone i'd consider to be very reliable - not one of 2112's sourcesbiggrin.png )where a mother was prostituting her 13 year old daughter out and when she was removed by Social Services the mother was busy monitoring the Social Service care of her daughter and crticising them. On this island. True story.

Sure, there are hard cases that need dealing with. But that doesn't provide a justification for social workers treating families badly in the course of their routine investigations.

Edited by Cronky

notwell wrote:

Sure, there are hard cases that need dealing with. But that doesn't provide a justification for social workers treating families badly in the course of their routine investigations.

What instigates a routine investigation by the way?

>>What instigates a routine investigation by the way?<<

Right question! The PAG guy says the DHSC could be asking the wrong questions:

DHSC asks wrong questions of child abuse
http://147-5433bc3297b05.radiocms.com/news/isle-of-man-news/dhsc-asks-wrong-questions-of-child-abuse/

The guest speaker at a public meeting this week will tell Islanders we have the wrong attitude when it comes to child protection.

A Positive Action Group debate entitled 'Children's Social Services - Will we ever get it right?' will take place in Douglas on Wednesday evening.

Speaking yesterday, child protection expert Allan Norman outlined what sort of issues he'd be highlighting at the meeting.

He believes when it comes to preventing abuse we focus on the wrong areas.

Sincerely,

Tamasin Wedgwood

Marcia Brabbs

- on behalf of all the families who came forward

I fretted about posting this, but as you can see I decided to.

I should also say that I have seen children’s social work first hand (not saying how) and I know some people in health and social care.

My problem is with Speak The Truth / Marcia Brabbs because she is really dodgy. There are similarities with what is being said on the Bless this House / Living Hope topic.

In many ways she acts like an abuser herself – she is on different occasions wheedling, aggressive, bullying, manipulative, flirtatious, provocative, lying, self-righteous and ‘the victim’. Poor old Tam Wedgwood is like a Chihuahua in her wake and can be ignored.

The main aim of Marcia Brabbs is to have a war with social services – not for any families involved in their work – but for her own reasons which she doesn’t tell anyone. She uses the classic propaganda approach – tell a big lie and then stand back while the slandered person or organisation struggles to answer it. I can see that politicians like Karran (remember him?) and others rally to her cause, but they don’t know what it is really about – like some posters on the forums, they just shout, ‘there must be something wrong!’ She is enjoying herself, not helping others.

Some forum members have spotted the trap – think who loses if she wins – the children. Social services can receive alerts from families, exes, schools, GPs, the hospital and others and the law says that they must protect the kids. The adults kicking off may well be abusers, and Brabbs is trying to get social services to back off. Her base is at Broadway Baptist Church – so more middle class happy clappy types with sandals and agendas (no doubt they will heal or exorcise all gays) based on the sanctity of family life. Keep the state out of that.

But, and this is a big but, I can guarantee that some children on this Island are being neglected every day, some are being hurt and beaten and some are being sexually abused and raped. Brabbs and her mates will make that easier and more frequent. See through her folks for what she is. Is her own family’s past squeaky clean?

Social services know that they can be better. They deal with horrible situations and nasty people (including Brabbs) every day of their working lives. We should try to support them and not pull them down. In Scotland, they coined a simple phrase about children – it’s everyone’s job to make sure I’m safe. That includes you and me.

• Like 4

I'm not a big fan of most of your posts Boo but I do agree with the bulk of what you say.

Social Services get involved because they need to. If everything was great in the first place they wouldn't be there.

I'd hazard a guess that 80% of their time is taken up a small number of regular problem adults.

A couple of years ago, a lovely married couple with good jobs and a lovely house (she couldn't have children) spent over a year trying to be accepted onto the adoption register.

The husband was spotted by a social worker smoking an E-Cig outside a certain public house, two day's later they were informed that they would not be approved.
They subsequently left the Island and are now happily rearing a family in the UK.

A couple of years ago, a lovely married couple with good jobs and a lovely house (she couldn't have children) spent over a year trying to be accepted onto the adoption register.

The husband was spotted by a social worker smoking an E-Cig outside a certain public house, two day's later they were informed that they would not be approved.

They subsequently left the Island and are now happily rearing a family in the UK.

Are you seriously suggesting that someones ability to adopt children rested on them have an e-cigarette during some down time?w00t.gif

I was also under the impression that people who live on the island adopt from the UK. Has that changed?

Edited by notwell

A very well attended meeting and the speaker did well explaining some difficult concepts about human rights and the rights of the child etc.

It seems Social Services tend to confuse providing support for children and their families with intervening to prevent neglect and abuse.

And what is done on the IOM may not have a legal basis.

I was going to go but I read the piece on the newspaper website and it seems that many people were more concerned about the lack of credibility his mullet conveyed than the subject matter. I hope an apparently bad 1980s hairstyle didn't put too many people off.

• Like 1

As a family who have been very seriously mistreated and lied about by this department all I can do is shake my head at your comment. It's not about a soft ride or being let off. It's about being treated as a person and not bullied.it's about not being lied about and supported whilst your in a catastrophic situation. Doing one thing and then doing the polar opposite. Its the actual focus on the children than it should be, not a competition over who can get one over on each other.

In our case we genuinely are in this position for a wrong reason, something was said that was inaccurate and completely blown into something mega instead of them looking at the evidence we begged them too, but then if they'd actually done that before deciding to make it a full blown child protection conference then we wouldn't be here. Once they decided which route they were taking, they never were going to look at the truth and instead fabricate lies all over the place and no- one gives a crap what you say, as ultimately they are supposedly the professionals. All we get called is disrespectful for trying to prove our innocence.

Marcia may have things in her past, but who cares? She's in it for the right reasons. People to be treated like people. She has been a beacon of light of support for us in such a dark time. A time we should never, ever have been put in.

The department have a duty to investigate and support and help children, we 100% support this. But they just didn't.

I hope none of you are ever, ever in this position.

Edited by Themanxone
  • Like 1

I was going to go but I read the piece on the newspaper website and it seems that many people were more concerned about the lack of credibility his mullet conveyed than the subject matter. I hope an apparently bad 1980s hairstyle didn't put too many people off.

So why didn't you go?

Mr Norman has two degrees and has written a book for professionals.

This is his company.

http://www.celticknot.org.uk/

Edited by Moghrey Mie