Children's Social Services - Will we ever get it right?

Cronky

On Wednesday, August 16, 2017 at 10:22 PM, Chris Thomas said:

The full independent report will be shared with the people who gave evidence, and everybody else, in October. Government is producing a response and action plan which will be published at the same time.

I understand that the independent report authors wrote an executive summary of their report which they shared with those who had taken part in their investigation. I did not participate in the investigation and have not seen that executive summary.

So very convenient.

14 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

No. The independent report has neither been redacted nor shared widely. There is neither a cover up nor an attempt to subvert any process.

You are right. Only a few cases were considered by the independent inspector, and these were self-selecting. The Scottish Inspectorate considered more cases, for instance.

You write with vengeance. Do you want better social services or something more than that?

I don't know why you even respond to such biased, anonymous rubbish from STT and censorship. Don't lower yourself.

On 28/08/2017 at 9:05 PM, Boo Gay'n said:

This is all a bit dodgy STT.  I agree that the report should be published now.  Holding it back until Chris Thomas has overseen the production of an action plan can only seem shady.

You say that allegations have been proven by the report.  That means that you are telling us that you have seen it.  That means that you are a member of the council of ministers or their senior civil servants, one of the senior social workers that you claim to hate so much, a member of one of the families who complained or that someone in one of those groups has shown you their copy.  I guess that you want us to believe that you are one of the family members.  If so, are you potentially breaking some sort of law by posting about the outcomes of the report?

If I remember what Karran was ranting and raving about last year it wasn’t that there weren’t good reasons for social services to carry our child protection investigations – the complaints were about how they carried out that work.  In our crossing of swords on MF I take the side of the children and you take the side of the parents or other relevant adults.  I think that my position is better, even if the adults feel upset about being investigated.  We have to protect the children first, not the adults who might well be abusers.

I didn’t know that you had sent material to members of Tynwald and been ignored.  If that is true, Thomas and his ilk have questions to answer.

I have not seen the report, I have been shown sections of the AG allowed selection by the family that asked me to deliver letters to every MHK and MLC who were members of the last Tynwald.

I can confirm, and I can evidence that those were delivered, they were received and signed for by the clerk of Tynwald so if the likes of Thomas and Quayle deny receiving them we have many more questions that need to be answered.

I have not posted the outcome of the report, I have only stated that the report confirms that SS have behaved in a corrupt and, at times, illegal manner and that there needs to be individuals held accountable.

Anyone who has dealt with our government and civil service knows this is endemic, our own Data Protection Supervisor stated this publicly, was reported in the local press doing so, and yet - nothing changes. 

You seem to have some sort of personal issue with Peter Karran, at no point did he advocate putting children at risk to protect parents. No person involved it this investigation has said that any adults needs should be placed before the needs, and especially the safety, of a child. 

But, explain to me how a social worker lying, altering files, threatening families or any of the other, apparently, proven allegations protects children, protects families, ( DHSC Children and Families).

We, as citizens of a supposedly modern, enlightened society should not be at risk of state persecution.

Our ancestors fought against the Nazi's, predecessors protected us from the utopia of state abused communism,and the western word is currently acting as moral judges where the Taliban, Islamic State, Assad in Syria and a Trump wannabe in North Korea are concerned.

And yet we allow our own government to hide abuses that are inconvenient, ignore legitimate complaints and walk over the rights of its own citizens - no matter what they are accused of those citizens are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Social Workers with no children, or failed marriages ( Pie baps obviously excluded,how many children did you have together?), or life experience that consists only of being in school, or Uni man, or employment in social services are not judge and jury - and yet our state allows them to be.

If I was one of those in the closed circle of Ministers and every SS employee who had a copy of the full report it would have already been published on every social media site I could access as well as being sent to every UK news agency, no matter the personal consequence.

Nothing to hide - nothing to fear.

Edited by Speak The Truth

On 9/2/2017 at 1:39 AM, Speak The Truth said:

I have not seen the report, I have been shown sections of it by the family that asked me to deliver letters to every MHK and MLC who were members of the last Tynwald.

I can confirm, and I can evidence that those were delivered, they were received and signed for by the clerk of Tynwald so if the likes of Thomas and Quayle deny receiving them we have many more questions that need to be answered.

I have not posted the outcome of the report, I have only stated that the report confirms that SS have behaved in a corrupt and, at times, illegal manner and that there needs to be individuals held accountable.

Anyone who has dealt with our government and civil service knows this is endemic, our own Data Protection Supervisor stated this publicly, was reported in the local press doing so, and yet - nothing changes. 

You seem to have some sort of personal issue with Peter Karran, at no point did he advocate putting children at risk to protect parents. No person involved it this investigation has said that any adults needs should be placed before the needs, and especially the safety, of a child. 

But, explain to me how a social worker lying, altering files, threatening families or any of the other, apparently, proven allegations protects children, protects families, ( DHSC Children and Families).

We, as citizens of a supposedly modern, enlightened society should not be at risk of state persecution.

Our ancestors fought against the Nazi's, predecessors protected us from the utopia of state abused communism,and the western word is currently acting as moral judges where the Taliban, Islamic State, Assad in Syria and a Trump wannabe in North Korea are concerned.

And yet we allow our own government to hide abuses that are inconvenient, ignore legitimate complaints and walk over the rights of its own citizens - no matter what they are accused of. 

If I was one of those in the closed circle of Ministers and every SS employee who had a copy of the full report it would have already been published on every social media site I could access as well as being sent to every UK news agency, no matter the personal consequence.

Edited by Fthlagen

Just now, Fthlagen said:

Illiterate, paranoid rant.
I'm not saying there's nothing to see here, just that that you put it so poorly. You can have the most just cause in the world but if you come across as the underclass then that's exactly what you are - the (ignored, ridiculed, downtrodden) underclass.

Learn to spell and punctuate at the very least - that information is on the internet. To ignore it and persist in ignorance earns you your impotence.

Quality response, your cat must be very proud of you.

5 hours ago, Fthlagen said:

Dumb response from you. Wallow in lazy grammar and hope the world revels in meaning rather than presentation. I'm only trying to help. When you write a letter to officialdom (and let's grace this forum with the prospect that the great and good follow it) then you're judged on your intellect. If you can't even master the rules of possession and plurals DESPITE the fact that they are freely available on the internet then you are signalling that you don't mind being ignored as an ignoramus.

Why wouldn't you polish your grammar so that you can converse with people on an equal footing? Just why wouldn't you bother?

all based on the assumption that the officials are educated,  plenty of folks don't understand 'no' no matter how often you tell them in a polite educated manner.   shout no and get in their face in an aggressive manner and they suddenly comprehend

9 hours ago, Chris Thomas said:

There would be sanctions for unauthorized distribution of the independent report.

the point was that distribution to the public should have been authorized on day 1,  therefore no one would be liable for sanction.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, WTF said:

the point was that distribution to the public should have been authorized on day 1,  therefore no one would be liable for sanction.

A Tynwald Committee or Independent report is normally considered in Tynwald with government response. Would any debate this summer not have been one-sided at best, and only partially informed at worst? There will be nearly two weeks for scrutiny of original independent report and government response before first Tynwald consideration, and Tynwald could decide to take more time.

Edited by Chris Thomas

6 hours ago, Speak The Truth said:

I can confirm, and I can evidence that those were delivered, they were received and signed for by the clerk of Tynwald so if the likes of Thomas and Quayle deny receiving them we have many more questions that need to be answered..........

I have not posted the outcome of the report, I have only stated that the report confirms that SS have behaved in a corrupt and, at times, illegal manner and that there needs to be individuals held accountable........

Apologies if you did not get a personal acknowledgement of a letter you delivered to all members of Tynwald. Was Tynwald's response requesting provision of evidence to a potential independent investigator not sufficient in itself? Thank you to those who shared evidence, and to those who gathered and presented it to the independent and professionally-qualified Chair of safeguarding Board. I do not believe any individual MHK could evaluate this evidence properly by themselves.

Any grounded evidence evidence of corruption or any other illegal activity will be taken up properly. What evidence can you provide to me that this is not the case? 

Edited by Chris Thomas

5 minutes ago, notwell said:

The report should make interesting reading. I assume if there are gross negligence findings people will be dismissed Chris? 

Policy and process would be followed. Data Protection Law applies. This might be one of the various questions for Government consideration now and Tynwald consideration in October.