Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Cronky

Children's Social Services - Will we ever get it right?

I think you're being a bit sly there, I'm always "complaining to my MHK" (Chris Thomas) I find he's very attentive, knowledgeable and efficient. Maybe he is busy dealing with other business while this is being dealt with by Peter Karran et al?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2bees said:

I think you're being a bit sly there, I'm always "complaining to my MHK" (Chris Thomas) I find he's very attentive, knowledgeable and efficient. Maybe he is busy dealing with other business while this is being dealt with by Peter Karran et al?

Why would Peter Karran be dealing with it? He raised the issue, but has been out of politics and with no government role for a year now. Delivering the report, and 'action plan' is now a government matter.

Mr Thomas is usually responsive, even on here, hence my question. Are you absolutely sure he hasn't been 'advised' to stop commenting on this thread? There have, after all, been all manner of legal threats made in order to keep a lid on this.

Peter Karran visited someone I know in relation to this recently, I presumed, but know nothing :)

As you were... however, Chris Thomas isn't a shrinking violet & I don't expect he would shy away especially if advised.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, censorship said:

Why would Peter Karran be dealing with it? He raised the issue, but has been out of politics and with no government role for a year now. Delivering the report, and 'action plan' is now a government matter.

Mr Thomas is usually responsive, even on here, hence my question. Are you absolutely sure he hasn't been 'advised' to stop commenting on this thread? There have, after all, been all manner of legal threats made in order to keep a lid on this.

Pretty sure that Chris Thomas is his own man and won't be leaned on.;)

7 minutes ago, Chris Thomas said:

I can comment and have done. Is there an assertion or question I have not addressed?

No. I think it is that you haven't just rolled over.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dilligaf said:

No. I think it is that you haven't just rolled over.

Has'nt he!!.

14 hours ago, Chris Thomas said:

I can comment and have done. Is there an assertion or question I have not addressed?

Well, on September 4 I posted:

On 9/3/2017 at 6:59 PM, Chris Thomas said:

Please bring to my attention immediately information regarding abuse by any public servants.

Such allegations of abuse were brought to your attention, not least in the letter referred to by STT which you aren't clear whether you saw or not. Then Peter Karran further brought such allegations of abuse to your attention, and was largely laughed at by people of your ilk. Thanks to his perseverance and the commitment of some of those who had suffered such abuse and refused to be bullied into silence, we got an independent investigation, which presumably further brought evidence of abuse to your attention. Your response so far has been to deny receiving the letter, not listening to Peter Karran and giving the SS three months to let those who are culpable escape with unblemished records and prepare excuses and lies to undermine the independent report.

You know, or if you don't then we should all have serious concerns, that a number of social workers at varying levels of seniority and experience have left the service since the first draft report was completed, notably many who were directly alleged by families to have carried out bullying and abuse. More are in the process of leaving now. Why won't you be on the public's side?

On 11/09/2017 at 9:55 PM, Chris Thomas said:

On 10/09/2017 at 10:12 PM, integrity said:

Are you happy, given we are looking to the care of our children, that you as a member of government have allowed this scandal to stretch for a decade?

For starters.

On 11/09/2017 at 3:38 PM, WTF said:

he knows his rhetoric and spin can not withstand debate so he avoids entering into it.

Back to school time. He will have been waiting for a civil servant to write his reply and then waiting for Couch to approve it.

The reply he did give shows he is paying bugger all attention to what is posted here, just like he has paid bugger all attention to those who informed him of what has been going on years ago.

20 hours ago, Speak The Truth said:

Back to school time. He will have been waiting for a civil servant to write his reply and then waiting for Couch to approve it.

The reply he did give shows he is paying bugger all attention to what is posted here, just like he has paid bugger all attention to those who informed him of what has been going on years ago.

Don't you accept though that there is a world of difference between what was was going on years ago (example - Knottfield which closed in the early eighties) and what is going on today?  I'm not saying that people don't need redress, far from it, but that we might not need to lay into today's social services.

3 hours ago, Boo Gay'n said:

Don't you accept though that there is a world of difference between what was was going on years ago (example - Knottfield which closed in the early eighties) and what is going on today?  I'm not saying that people don't need redress, far from it, but that we might not need to lay into today's social services.

Sorry, but no.

Abuse of vulnerable people is wrong, no matter their age, their circumstance or the time of that abuse being committed.

I know someone who was a victim in Knottfield, they were also a victim in Tromode. I also knew a young lad who killed himself as the result of being repeatedly raped by a prison officer in Victoria Road.

These people are no different to the woman who killed herself, in 2017, as the result of the actions of social workers.

They are all victims, as are their families and all who loved them.

There is no greater humanitarian responsibility in the modern world than the responsibility given, by the state, to those who can consistently influence the path of others lives.

It is, in itself evidential that, of those endowed by the state with this responsibility, we are not seeing teachers, youth workers, probation officers, doctors etc. etc. being repeatedly and institutionally implicated in the abuse of those whom they are employed to help.

So sorry, but no.

I do not agree.

On 9/13/2017 at 7:09 PM, Boo Gay'n said:

There have been huge improvements over the decades, and the provision of children and family services today is almost unrecognisable compared with the 70s, 80s and 90s.

But...there are ongoing problems with mismanagement, unprofessional behaviour, bullying, lying, falsifying records and worse in today's children and family services. These are modern, contemporary issues, recent complaints which led to the inquiry report we're not allowed to see.

Perhaps most worryingly of all, as the report remains under wraps and the shit is heaped under the carpets, the abuses and mismanagement are continuing unabated.

I appreciate some who haven't been subjected to this 'service' may say the families deserve it for being 'scum' or whatever pejorative term you choose, but what seems to be forgotten is there are innocent children involved who are suffering because the professional services which are supposed to help them are more interested in showing off how powerful they are, job protection and colleague defence, or are purely incompetent.

As someone once said 'won't someone think of the children'