Coronavirus topics renamed and some locked. No new topics. ×
Manx Forums, Live Chat, Blogs & Classifieds for the Isle of Man
Cronky

Children's Social Services - Will we ever get it right?

I find it hard to believe that any person reading this report can fail to be extremely concerned.

When you consider that this report is based, not on individual complaints nor specific incidents. That it is written on the evidence from a small number of families over a short period of time and yet -

For every question asked there is either evidence to prove or partial evidence to prove.

It would be poor and disappointing if the figures showed no evidence to substantiate as a majority, this is not the case.

There can be many reasons for SS to become involved in your family, the obvious headline grabbing ones or possibly just a messy divorce with lots of 'he said she said' and false accusations.

Is there a single happily 'married with children' family that could not end up like this?

Your child goes to school and becomes upset and unruly, next thing, thanks to directives, SS are there to help.

They take the side of one partner against the other and all of a sudden one parent is not permitted to see their child, they are not permitted to know about their child's health, welfare, education, address, who their new mummy or daddy is and they are certainly not allowed to attend any of the regular multi-agency meetings about their child.

In order to exclude SS need no evidence, other agencies are either ignored or excluded from meeting if they disagree with the Independent Chairperson of those meetings who just happens to have their 50k+ salary paid by - you can guess - SS.

Considering the narrow focus and small number of cases involved - THIS REPORT IS SICKENING.

It shows clear abuses of power and position, the fact that the Investigators were unable to question many of the social workers implicated in the abuse because they flit from one jurisdiction to another should raise more red flags than an army parade in Red Square.

I wish I had been proven wrong by the report - I haven't.

What this report proves is that the crust of a huge pile if shit has been broken, the stink is out and the deeper you dig the worse it will be.

Perhaps one question that should have been asked and investigated was -

HOW MANY PREVIOUS AND CURRENT CHIEF MINISTERS, COUNCIL MINISTERS MHK'S, MLC'S, DEPARTMENT HEADS AND GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES WERE AWARE OF THE COMPLAINTS, HAD BEEN PROVIDED WITH SUBSTANTIVE EVIDENCE AND HAD IGNORED THE ABUSE CONTINUE TO HAVE THEIR WAGES AND PENSIONS PAID FOR BY THE POPULATION OF THE ISLAND?

Aww, look at you, asking questions like a good boy. Asking questions won't get anything done. 

I think Speak The Truth has a good point and I personally would like to see more investigation, scrutiny and accountability.

This report should be a beginning, not the conclusion.

What I did not mention in my previous post was that, despite having had this report for three months SS have not changed for their users.

Nor does this report include the period earlier this year where a mother took her own life whilst two social workers were in the house with her.

8 minutes ago, Speak The Truth said:

What I did not mention in my previous post was that, despite having had this report for three months SS have not changed for their users.

Nor does this report include the period earlier this year where a mother took her own life whilst two social workers were in the house with her.

Maybe time just to shut up now. Boring doesn't even come into it. Move on or move away.

2 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

Maybe time just to shut up now. Boring doesn't even come into it. Move on or move away.

You don't speak for me or for countless others. I welcome Speak The Truth's input. These things need to be brought to light as a matter of public interest.

dr-martin-luther-king-jr-injustice-anywh

• Like 1

Just now, Tibet said:

You don't speak for me or for countless others. I welcome Speak The Truth's input. These things need to be brought to light as a matter of public interest.

dr-martin-luther-king-jr-injustice-anywh

For you then. 

If you have an axe to grind, you go to a foundry, not a forum.

Just now, dilligaf said:

For you then. 

I've never had any involvement with Social Services, so no "axe to grind" from me. I'm just a concerned citizen.

1 minute ago, Tibet said:
6 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

For you then. 

I've never had any involvement with Social Services, so no "axe to grind" from me. I'm just a concerned citizen

I didn't mean you, I was talking about shit for brains speak the truth.

Tibet

I find that there are people on this forum like dilligaf who seems to excite himself by trying, and usually failing,  to be controversial and intelligent and then you have those like maynragh who have a reason to protect the status quo.

I try not to lower myself to either their intellect nor their gutter.

There are many who can see past their personal failings and insecurities and, as in life in general, put up with their sad attempts to seek the approval of others.

As Buddha said, peace can only be found within, seek not to find it in others. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Speak The Truth said:

Tibet

I find that there are people on this forum like dilligaf who seems to excite himself by trying, and usually failing,  to be controversial and intelligent and then you have those like maynragh who have a reason to protect the status quo.

There are many who can see past their personal failings and insecurities and, as in life in general, put up with their sad attempts to seek the approval of others.

So you're a tad pissed off then that all your bile posting came to nothing.

No surprise there eh? Get over it.

8 hours ago, Speak The Truth said:

Why would it?

Are you saying SS were directly responsible for someone taking their own life?

Have you got a link to the inquest that backs that up?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Speak The Truth said:

Tibet

I have no reason to protect the status quo. If there is a problem it is in my interest to solve it. I was a ward of court for 7 years so I am not without an understanding of what is being discussed here. As I’ve said to Tibet before (and he has agreed), there is no point at all in discussing a problem if you don’t make an effort to consider how it could be solved. I have asked you a simple question in a civilized manner and you have repeatedly ignored it whilst persisting with your tirade. In relation to the topic at hand that strikes me as highly hypocritical. If you don’t have an answer the decent thing to do would be to simply say ‘I don’t know’, but clearly that is not within your normal mode of operation.

Edited by maynragh
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, maynragh said:

And still you won't make a single suggestion. 

How odd. 

Based on the report findings, suggestions are easy. Despite only investigating the allegations from 10 (then I think reduced to 8) families, evidence was found to support virtually all the claims made, so there are failings.

Those individual social workers who repeatedly failed should be disciplined, and sacked if necessary, those who occasionally did should receive additional training and support. There was a clear failure by management to communicate and monitor staff, and the same process should be applied to them. This needs to be treated like a failing school in the UK, so its is placed in 'special measures' and a crisis management team brought in to immediately address the many, many failings and issues raised. We know what they are now, so the solution is get rid the substandard people and implement effective management to help those who want to do a good job.

But...

Why is it STT's role to suggest solutions? They are a concerned citizen who believed, and it turns out was absolutely right, that there are serious problems in social services. They had an opinion and expressed it. why do they now have to solve the issue too? Isn't that why we elect politicians and have thousands of overpaid civil servants?

• Like 1