More families leaving the island than arriving

GD4ELI

So are the leaders and breeders in the uk. A guy I know moved over to just near Morecombe a couple of years ago. He is paying a couple of hundred less in rent per month, but council tax and rates make up for that. His £200 a year car insurance is now £700, and that is after some negotiation. Petrol is cheaper but he uses twice as much. Ultimately, he also got paid more over here, even before tax and NI. He is considering moving back, but it is yet another big move for him.

I thought you payed council tax instead of rates over there not both?

Correct - council tax paid on the band your property is in, 25% discount for single occupancy (i.e. Mr Grumpy + dog).

That's exactly what will happen - they aren't getting people out on the street protesting so they'll continue to get rid of work permits. Let's hope Brexit happens sooner than they dismantle the work permit system.

Come on then Chris Thomas...come up with a convincing argument why he should stay.

Ah well, at least hopefully we'll have a 'White Paper' on it soon.

http://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/census-minister-wants-a-white-paper/

Let's hope it includes a PROPERLY carried out survey of 14 to 35 year olds and their thoughts for the future, rather than the governments.

And shame on you not tackling the excessive pay and numbers in the government/PS, let's hope you help Julie Edge put forward a better proposal on assessing the difference in CS/PS pay (IOM v UK), or preferably with your experience, put one forward yourself.

This is the main problem here. Young people are not willing to pay for it, whilst having their income and input penalised.

• Like 4

So bringing this back up again I am considering leaving the island Me my partner and our two year old girl. I am Manx born and raised but the island is just becoming so expensive for us to live here this is everything from rent prices on homes to car services food etc. It's a real struggle for many young family's like us and it seems to just keep getting worse. I really don't want to have to leave because I love the island and how safe it is but it seems there isnt many options left for us now.

We're considering it strongly too, in fact the decision to go has been made the only thing left to decide on is the location. I just need to sort out my company details and we're good to go.

It's not really that much cheaper to move to a comparable nice area across we've found, but the opportunities and lifestyle change are infinitely better. Plus you don't have to worry about being stranded on a ship that has suddenly started to let a lot more water in overnight and you're stuck without a lifeboat.

I'm going too, for a few years at least. The only thing I need to decide is whether to sell my property or lease it out. What is the market going to do? Will I want to come back some day? Who knows?

I think we'll rent ours out for the first 12 months at least. Had the estate agent round last week and the prospective rent charged will be more than our mortgage so we'll put the difference towards a better house over there to rent.

• Like 1

I'm going too, for a few years at least. The only thing I need to decide is whether to sell my property or lease it out. What is the market going to do? Will I want to come back some day? Who knows?

I think we'll rent ours out for the first 12 months at least. Had the estate agent round last week and the prospective rent charged will be more than our mortgage so we'll put the difference towards a better house over there to rent.

The question you need to consider is whether the property market here is likely to prosper more than that in your chosen area over the next 12 months. If your decision is irrevocable, that is. If not, I suppose it would be a comfort not to have burned your bridges.

Farewell people leaving the island. If you are manx, I will miss you, but I understand. If you are not, I don't mind, I'm sad you are leaving but I understand it's for the best. Hopefully house prices come down for the locals but I don't think they will