Government canteens lose shit loads of money

In all fairness in the private sector it is often the efforts of the minority keeping the majority in a job.

Yes but there also a general acceptance that if you're stupid, lazy, difficult or not contributing to growing the company's income that you may well lose your job. Unlike the general acceptance in the public sector that you can be as lazy or useless as you like but the chance of you actually getting the bullet are limited.

Tell me about it. And the higher up you go, the more immune they become.I've never got my head around the Public Sector acceptance of excess expense and ineptitude being far too often the accepted standard with no comeback whatsoever.

Maybe because there is no comeback and they know they will be bailed out when they overspend.

• Like 2
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not for the first time a thread is being derailed by notwell's usual insistence on picking a fight on something irrelevant based on nothing more than his belief in his own omniscience. However it is

So, let's break it down simply, and try and analyse against government accounting policies.   The overall food provision always ran at a loss. Two years ago a budget was put in place to cut the loss

From memory the opinion related to a loan being taken out without the consent of the Government and arranged by the MEA board who were not authorised to raise finance. I believe counsel said it would

Posted Images

In all fairness in the private sector it is often the efforts of the minority keeping the majority in a job.

Yes but there also a general acceptance that if you're stupid, lazy, difficult or not contributing to growing the company's income that you may well lose your job. Unlike the general acceptance in the public sector that you can be as lazy or useless as you like but the chance of you actually getting the bullet are limited.

Tell me about it. And the higher up you go, the more immune they become.I've never got my head around the Public Sector acceptance of excess expense and ineptitude being far too often the accepted standard with no comeback whatsoever.

To me this is the very reason why the IOM is failing in its potential (and has failed in reaching its full potential). The people in the key roles arent in them because they are the best people for the job or because they possess the best strategic vision for the future. They're in them because they've played the system the best, or because of who they know, or what churches, clubs, or societies they are members of. They are therefore rarely the right people for the job, with the right skills set to maximize opportunity in that area. They are also susceptible to strong influence from within that system, and from within those circles, because they know the only reason why they are able to continue in that job is the people who are prepared to overlook their unsuitability to do the job because they are probably unsuited to doing their own job too. So it's a completely bad eco-system that can only act in a dysfunctional way, and which can only create political inertia and some very undesirable outcomes because the normal rules of good economics and good business practice dont apply. In a normal and efficient commercial style system the things that produce the best results are the things that are done as the right people are driving the strategy without false restraint created by the contrary needs of the Establishment to preserve things for itself, and the people who are crap at what they do are kicked out as there are no protectors other than having to be good at your job in order to keep it; so few people hold back the system from achieving the best objective.

Completely agree. If the prom is broken the most logical thing to do is just fix the prom. Whereas the DOI seems to have used it as a vast vanity project for the CEOs and management that is actively stopping the prom from being improved. It's just not logical.

• Like 1

I work in the private sector and it never ceases to amaze me how mamy people remain employed and add no value whatsoever

• Like 2

Does anyone know if this figure includes the 'Meals-on-Wheels' service, as I think they are made in the hospital kitchens? If so, perhaps the loss is partly cost of the service? That said they could even up the prices of the vending machines in the hospital, it's pretty cheap for the NHS.

I work in the private sector and it never ceases to amaze me how mamy people remain employed and add no value whatsoever

But how many like that have worked at the same place for 20 years? Usually the lazier people will move or get binned off after a few years and just move from job to job. There is no security. In the public sector there isn't the same pressure. You can be consistently shit for 20 plus years and still end up drawing your pension.

• Like 1

Jack C., stolen ideas don't have overheads! Unless you have the IP rights of course.

I was referring to Notwells link to procurements, which was for a consultation rather than an invitation to tender. So you could be giving your ideas but not operating the business. Could just be a badly worded document?

I work at nobles and can tell you we don't get benefits in kind or any other perk. The staff canteen shuts at 3pm so late and night staff cant get a meal at all. I used to use the canteen every day but when they charge ridiculous prices for small portions I decided enough was enough. I now bring my lunch with me and have saved a fortune over the past year.

• Like 4

I work at nobles and can tell you we don't get benefits in kind or any other perk. The staff canteen shuts at 3pm so late and night staff cant get a meal at all. I used to use the canteen every day but when they charge ridiculous prices for small portions I decided enough was enough. I now bring my lunch with me and have saved a fortune over the past year.

I've never had a meal in there, can you give an example of high prices for small portions because if that's really the case and they are still losing a small fucking fortune then they've either got the least efficient cooking devices known to man or are paying the staff up there bus driver salaries? Neither would surprise me.

They charge 25p for a medium carton to carry your food in. £1-95 for a spoonful of mushroom stroganoff and £1.20 for a few undercooked chips.

Chips in the Terrace Chippy are £2.95. A curry in somewhere cheap like the Rovers is a fiver. I feel so sorry for you having to eat at almost the third of the price of the private sector and not being happy with it.